Confusion regarding けど in general

That one has always confused me. Like from what I can gather and from what most translators say, it’s supposed to mean “But”

But then they throw it into sentences I don’t think make sense with that in mind at all, for example

“君が何言っているか全然分からないんですけど。”

It makes my head spin, but if I had to make a guess, I’d say in that sentence you’re saying it expecting your conversation partner to rebuke and speak more clearly or something?

How right am I?

Also, I keep seeing words like 見るがいい and 受けるがいい that I don’t see listed anywhere I’m aware of, what does it mean by that?

2 Likes

Haha, when I try to translate it into english it makes no sense, but it makes perfect sense to me in japanese :slight_smile:

So, you are definitely quite right, that it’s not simply translated as “but” :slight_smile:

I guess in this case it simply indicates that the speaker gives an explanation.

As for ~がいい, this is also a grammar point I suggested them to add. This is definitely very common!

2 Likes

Indicates that the speaker gives an explanation? Could you be a bit more clear? I’m not sure I’m following

2 Likes

If you remove んですけど it just sounds like a blunt statement “I don’t understand what you say”. Especially with 言っている (non polite form).

But if you add んですけど (yes, as a whole thing) it essentially indicates explanation AND makes it a bit more polite. You can replace んですけど with んですが.

It is a very common way to end sentences.

I would suggest reading んですが grammar point, んですけど is just a variant of that.

5 Likes

I’ll have to take another look at that page once I’m feeling more awake.

Aside from some rocky starts involving Rosetta Stone and Duolingo, all I really have under my belt besides self-taught kana is a little over half of wanikani. so a lot of this grammar stuff is kinda new to me

lots of effort to wrap my head around some of this stuff

3 Likes

@Enecororo @Kuromaku
Hey :smiley:

I think this grammar point might make it a bit more clear:
だけど。。。だが。。。

As @Kuromaku says, けど at the end of the sentence is often used to make the sentence more hesitant and polite in situations when we want to ask for something, or saying something might be too frank, etc.
Often speakers expect some kind of answer from the interlocutor.

Cheers! :cowboy_hat_face::+1:

4 Likes

So I guess it’d be like

言っていることか分からないんですけど。(もっと簡単にしてください)

Apologies for the subpar japanese

3 Likes

Yes, that’s right! You got it!

It might have been 「わかるようにもう少し説明してください。」etc, the sense is the same.

@Kuromaku @Enecororo
By the way, do you have any idea how to rename this grammar point to make it more noticable to users?

2 Likes

It honestly seems fine to me as it is. It just take time to put all of that into your brain when you just starting out.
I find myself struggling with some grammar points initially, only to realize a month later that the very same grammar point is trivially simple. It just takes time to form all those neural connections :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I find myself agreeing with Kuro.

Though if I had to make a suggestion, could maybe throw in another example sentence along that line

3 Likes