JLPT December 2022 - Results published / Certificates sent

ONLINE RESULTS ARE AVAILABLE HERE:

https://www.jlpt-overseas.jp/onlineresults/

So for about a month left, and I’d though I’d create the topic already to discuss the prep-ness, what level you are going for and how are you feeling about it.

So I’m going for N2 in Spain.

• Listening - It’s the area I feel most confident, although depending on the topics they might loose me completely.
  • Kanji - I plan to finish Kanji Kentei 7, which is still not nearly enough for the Kanji required for N2
  • Grammar- Although I passed N3, I haven’t touched N3 grammar here on Bunpro, let alone N2
  • Reading- It will depend on the vocabulary I guess.

For the month that remains I intend to finish the 9 lessons I have left of Kanji Kentei 7, listening I’ll keep with the Japanese media without subtitles, for reading I intend to pick up the pace of the books and manga, and for the grammar I’ll start with the N3 in Bunpro, although I don’t want to overload the SRS to just fail at it.

I’m mainly doing N2 not with the perspective of passing, but to see how far I am and to push myself towards a goal with a deadline fixed.

Depending on the results of having a deadline, I might do it on Summer as well. Last time I took the N3 was in December 2016

Good luck everyone!

study-anime

17 Likes

I’ll be trying for N4 in December 2022.
Just about to finish working through the grammar lessons on Bunpro, and the kanji sections of the test are a godsend with the scores across vocab/grammar/reading being pooled, meaning that whole aspect should hopefully work out OK.
However, dreading the listening because of being weak at it :S but slowly working through a couple of books to help with that.

7 Likes

I have just done a 1 month cram for a mock test (n2) in 1 week’s time (I don’t see the point in paying for JLPT until I am job hunting in Japanese. I will save myself for N1).
7 textbooks in one month. xD
What I will say is that vocabulary does seem to be a sticking point still, even after a few novels/manga made into flash cards and a dedicated N2 deck. I intend to hit 3-4 vocabulary books and a few reading/speed reading books before moving onto N1 studies to attempt to get in ahead of this issue for N1.

3 Likes

Ah, totally flew past me that I had some audio books that I haven’t touched yet, that might be handy for listening bumping. I’ll add them to the list, although it’s quite big already for just a month lol.

I do it because it’s been too long in the self-taught and I want some sort of measurement of how I’m doing. There’s no classes near where I am, and 60EUR is not that big of an expense anyway.

7 Likes

Yeah, probably try to blaze through as much of the Japanese “to do” list in the next month and a bit, then maybe realistically spend the first half of next year actually completing the “to do” list in time for the next JLPT attempt :joy:

4 Likes

Please could you share them, I’m thinking of doing N4 next summer and my listening is definitely the weakest area.

2 Likes

N5 here. I’ve scored pretty high on everything except the listening, so I’m focusing on that almost exclusively.

Arguably I should I have stretched myself and gone for N4 but I don’t think I would be able to pass the listening section.

I’ve exhausted the listening sections from my textbooks so am using another site. Though the audio quality isn’t as good.
I did link the site, but I’m not sure if the content is breaking copyright so I don’t think the BP guys would want me linking that.

4 Likes

Sure. The one I’ve worked through so far is the typical Shinkanzen Listening book.

However, now working through The Preparatory Course for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test: N4: Kiku, basically a load of practice questions:

Then there are the practice test books which of course include all parts of the test, including listening.

7 Likes

I’ll be taking the N4 in New York. Originally wanted to take the N3, but I would have had zero free time to myself since July if I did that to myself. I’m honestly only worried about the grammar at this point as that’s the only section I had issues with when doing a pretest a few months back. I’m focusing just on grammar just until the end of November hits, then I’ll try another practice test. It’ll just be basic reviews from there.

I had some personal issues come up around August, so I fell behind in learning quite a bit and am rushing my grammar. But I’m going to be able to do fine at the rate I’m going judging by my reviews and cram sessions. Hopefully I’m right! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Will try N5. Using BunPro SRS, Torii SRS, Wanikani, and Tadoku reading.
Listening using Netflix and Youtube. haha
So far so good, but I really need to brush up my reading and listening.
-wawan-

5 Likes

I’m taking a swing at N2, and unfortunately following my preparation prediction from August exactly: “Or doing nothing - that seems more my speed.”

9 Likes

I am going for the N3.
I feel very 50 50 about it. In 2019 I failed N3 by 10 points haha
I feel quite happy as I have definitely started to study more over the last 2 months and my sleep pattern has gotten better, I walk more too haha.

My main goal over the last month or so was to improve a bit my vocabulary as that is definitely my weakest area. So I have been using a lot more Anki and Kanji Senpai + paper to write stuff that I get wrong.

Hopefully from today / tomorrow, I plan to start transitioning into doing as many JLPT N3 books as I can and go through. Hopefully that would be enough for the exam. I have a few drill books eg パターン別 N3、Kanzen Master Grammar + Reading N3. (I wish I started doing this already but time keeps slipping away… haha)

For reading, I hope to read as many light novels as possible… we will see. I started to read for 1 to 2 hours before bed!

For listening, I just blast Japanese music while working :metal:
Should probably go and watch some Jdramas without subtitles…

Good luck!

7 Likes

I’ve not done a language learning listening examination in over 30 years :scream:
During practices I do find myself ‘zoning’ out and missing critical bits of information.

Does anyone have some practical tips for when taking the test?

Anything that works for them, like I dunno, closing eyes, chewing gum, taking an ear trumpet with them, loading up on caffine & sugar, rushing to the room and bagsying the desk nearest the front…

And the anti-patterns, stuff that backfired and wasn’t helpful like, closing eyes, chewing gum, taking an ear trumpet with them, loading up on caffine & sugar, rushing to the room and bagsying the desk nearest the front…

3 Likes

What I find most difficult about the listening is that it’s at the end.

I think it would be better being in the middle but I understand logistically it would be a nightmare.

1 Like

Taking N3 in Madrid. Where do you you take it in Spain?

I don’t feel I am ready and don’t really have all the time I would need to study.

But anyway… listening and grammar are the most difficult parts for me…

Still 1 month to go. At least I will finish N3 grammar in bunpro by that time.

3 Likes

Madrid, so I guess same place as you, the UAM.

2 Likes

I am doing N4 (also in Spain). But mainly because I need deadlines. They work great for me. I probably won’t be ready on time, and maybe I’ll just go to check the process (first time). Or not. But so far the deadline has been a blessing.

4 Likes

Deadlines do work well. I’m on path to finishing level 7 of Kanji Kentei as I picked up the speed and I’m investing more time (I do also have more free time this month… but still I’d probably be more procrastinating and pushing less hard)

I which location are you taking the exam? It’s kinda crazy that there’s enough demand to have 5 locations in Spain. I remember back when it was only one location, and just once a year.

2 Likes

I’m taking the N2 in Sapporo. I’ve already finished N5-N2 in Bunpro, so I’m just going to keep the reviews down to 0 whenever I have the opportunity. For vocab, I’m trying to grind down my Anki decks. I’d like to finish some books before the test as well, but we’ll see if I have time.

If I had continuously studied I’d expect to pass, but the past 6 months have had random things keep popping up and I feel like I missed about a month or two of studying total. I think I’m going to fail it but barely. Oh well. We’ll see!

5 Likes

Yes, totally crazy. I am doing it at Santiago de Compostela. They don’t usually offer the summer one (I guess because the school year ends and it would be a mess). If I try again in the summer I would probably go to Madrid or Barcelona.

2 Likes