Missing grammar list

Noun + だけは
I came across it a few times in some manga and I thought it meant only/just just like regular だけ but it seems to mean “at least” in some capacity.

5 Likes

please add あっという間に as a separate grammar point

1 Like

I’ve been hoping for a miscellaneous non-N section for a while as others have mentioned above. For those interested and members, I published an expressions/idiom companion deck in Kitsun recently based on the title book of 180 common expressions. I’m using Kitsun’s dictionary build and productive input features+ key expression audio and book has the full conversations for context (with audio) so I encourage both for those interested. I attempted to give notes on context for necessary items as well.

I suppose there is a fine line between grammar point/expression/idiom but there are certainly differences and don’t know if BP needs to have 12 sentence levels per each point (though would still welcome them). Something like あっという間に or あわよくば are definitely expressions (which I just added to the deck). Many of these function as basic grammar, just idioms can be ironic/funny or have historical cultural origin than may seem abstract. Given how common these are, I’m trying to reshape my studies to include them better.

8 Likes

Surprised there isn´t a “Sbd のこと” meaning “about Sbd” grammar point on BP. I see and hear it all the time.

3 Likes

really? i know for sure that it at least once existed

2 Likes

~ほどだ・だった・である

1 Like

I went through 日本語総まとめ文法N2 and those are the points that bunpro does not have yet
~VようかVるまいか
Vる・Vた・Nの 折には
くせにー>くせして
っぽなし
ちなみに
A。ただしB
A。ただB
それはそうと
Nをたよりに

but wanikani does not cover that much. i feel like every day at university i come across some kanji not covered in wanikani that the author did not even think to include furigana for.

I am the only one answering to this thread so i have to keep editing this message

NもあればNもある/VこともあればVこともある

3 Likes

I came across だの grammar which isn’t in Bunpro yet, https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/だの~だの-dano-dano/

2 Likes

ないでもない

1 Like

There doesn’t appear to be anything for っす which seems to be a weird slangy version of です that can be used even with verbs.

1 Like

It seems there are many common contractions of frequently used words. I suppose a note about this could be included for the です grammar point though.

1 Like

I think 〜とはいえ is missing as well. I appears to be an N1-grammar point, so it might be already on their list, but since it’s used in one of the N2-example sentences (I sadly don’t remember which grammar point it was) adding it to N2 would make more sense?

EDIT: I found the sentences:
慣れたメニューだとはいえ、味見しないわけにはいかない。
初級問題だとはいえ、何度か見直しをしないわけにはいかない。
Both are example sentences of the ないわけにはいかない grammar point.

3 Likes

It seems のだった・んだった can be used to express regret!

I get the feeling that I wouldn’t have figured that out on my own for a very long time with nothing but my understanding of the explanatory の + language immersion. Going to add a few self-study sentences for this one…

2 Likes

です is polite.
っす is semi-polite.*
だ is plain/casual.
*Now, if you see っす in manga, it could be just the author’s choice to show to way a character slurs words.

1 Like

I would add that it doesn’t have most sentence ending particles, ie: ぜ, ぞ, わ, な, etc.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this is one to include, but I’ve had it pop up a couple times while reading:
やいなや - the minute (that) …; no sooner than…

Edit:
Another for the maybe pile:
べからず - must not; should not; do not

3 Likes

っと

1 Like

も同然だ as in「母からお金を借りたのだから、利子がないと同然だ。」
Most resources list this as N2 or very low N1

1 Like

というわけだ

というわけだ is shown as one of the forms of わけだ

1 Like