Bit confused about the Genki deck

Hi all, I set Genki 3rd edition as my main deck. I just checked the Bunpro N5 deck and to my surprise I noticed that a lot of basic grammar points are not in the Genki deck.

For example: る-Verb (Negative) is not in the Genki (3rd edition) deck.

That’s weird right? Would it be better to set the Bunpro N5 deck as my main deck instead of the Genki one?

Another question, when I open that lesson, on top it says: N5 Lesson 2: 7/12
In this case, what does Lesson 2: 7/12 mean?

1 Like

I’ve had similar issues with the Tae Kim deck. I ended up just mostly following the bunpro lesson order because it worked better: you don’t miss any grammar point and the progression is more natural on bunpro. Of course that means that bunpro effectively became my main grammar source, using the others only to cross reference.

I guess another possibility would be to follow the genki path and from time to time go over the bunpro lessons and see if there’s anything you want to manually add.

That’s the lesson number within bunpro. If you look at the bunpro lessons themselves every N tier is split in 10 “lessons”, each with a dozen of grammar points.

4 Likes

Thanks, I switched to the Bunpro deck and I’ll combine it with adding some Genki lessons if I need those. The bunpro order does seem to make more sense.

And ah, got it. I actually never looked at the Lessons tab :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Note that Bunpro is working on Genki grammar/vocabulary decks which might solve your issue. The update below is from the All Grammar Explanations Finished! 12/08/23 post.

3 Likes

yeah, if youre not actively taking a class in school that uses one of the textbooks i reccommend the bunpro lesson order as well.

personally, i like looking through the books and picking lessons that seem fun/interesting because i like the idea of learning the same stuff a student would in a class. but i do that while also going through the bunpro lesson order in sequence and that feels pretty good and well-rounded.

4 Likes

Ah good to hear :slight_smile:

1 Like