Bunpro Book club (Beginner)

Thanks for the tip! I just picked up the whole set in eBay for around $60 USD including shipping.

If others are interested, there are several more complete sets available for around the same price as of now.

2 Likes

lol, I didn’t even think about eBay!

2 Likes

Official book club rules available for viewing here. Keep in mind that these are rules that have been created based on our best estimate of how book clubs will proceed. Things may change in the future.

I will also be editing the original content of this post to better reflect a long term starting point and guide for users that join this level.

10 Likes

I also picked up the entire series on ebay as well. Thank you for this tip.

It’s amazing how much cheaper it is to read the entire series in Japanese then in English.
Manga in general seems to be cheaper in Japanese(all the more reason to get better at the language and stop buying Manga in English :grin:).

6 Likes

It’s probably a bit early to do so, but I’d like to suggest キッチン by 吉本ばなな - Level 30 on Natively and Kiki’s Delivery Service - Level 25 on Natively for next week. I’ve heard they’re good beginner novels.

Anyway, I’m excited to start reading よつばと!

2 Likes

Nice suggestions! If possible, please refer to the suggestion guideline here. Book club rules.

Here’s the excerpt to save you some time :blush:

1 Like

Great tip for people in Germany as well. I just ordered the whole series for about 60 € including shipment. German stores charge 15 € per book for the Japanese version. Or you pay over 20 € just for shipment from Amazon JP.

3 Likes

How did you format it so the title of the book is a link?

2 Likes

When you’re writing a reply, above the box you’re typing in there are a few icons to do bold, italic, quote, and several others. If you press the one that looks like two linked chains, it opens a box that you can paste a link into, and then another box below it where you can put the name, so that the name appears instead of the link. Hope that helps :blush:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Kiki’s delivery service is already in the suggestion list (Edit- No it’s not, I seem to have gone crazy. Editing it in now), and if it’s alright with you, I’ll add キッチン to the intermediate book club section too. There are a lot of fairly advanced grammar patterns and difficult kanji without furigana.

2 Likes

I’m kind of glad we picked よつばと to start with - I bought volumes 1 and 2 from Amazon Japan a few years ago. This might be the kick I need to finish the series. Now I’ve just got to find which box in my basement they’re in.

6 Likes

Sadly I don’t think I will be able to participate in this since it’s not available digitally, I’m away from home these days and prefer to buy Japanese books digitally since I can easily read them on the way on my phone/kindle and bring them everywhere… I think I will still follow the discussion to see what kind of questions pop up maybe

3 Likes

No worries mate! I think in 99% of cases we will end up going with something that is available digitally. It’s just an unfortunate coincidence that よつばと happens to have no digital version despite being one of the most popular manga for beginners :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I must have been on that section of the internet where the recommended beginner stuff is actually more along the lines of “once you’ve lived in Japan for 5 years and know 50,000 kanji, you’re all set”

Edit: I also wanted to ask about that tool that automatically turn the vocab from the book into a deck. Since it says it’s in a trial phase, do we need to be opted in to test beta features?

1 Like

im in! :3

1 Like

While I believe youtusba doesn’t have a purchasable ebook in japanese I do believe it is readable online. In a legal way I mean. Kadokawa group hosts several of the chapters of it online in japanese, or at least they have their company name all over on the website. Kadokawa is the publisher for Evangelion, so presumable they own the rights or have an agreement with the creators of yotsuba. They don’t host all of the chapters so it might not be worth even mentioning but
I’ll have to review the website owners demands for link sharing before posting a link to make sure it complies. If I am pretty sure it does I’ll provide a link. Either way I’m very confident that at least some of the book can be viewed digitally and legally.

Edited: I do believe the links comply with the " or any other legal source" part of the rules.

There is the website, it has the sample chapters which you can view. It’s primarily a store but it does link to a few of the starting chapters.

@Asher Please verify I’m not breaking to many rules here

8 Likes

Yep, looks fine to me!

I’m in!

1 Like

How fun - I bought this last year. I’m in - I bought this about 6 mo ago, optimistic about my progress in Japanese. If possible, I would vote for a very slow pace to help people get acclimated.

1 Like