Bunpro Book club (Beginner)

Is it possible to buy the Japanese version through amazon.com? I don’t think amazon.co.jp works for my European Kindle and already existing amazon.com account. Or can anyone help me set it up properly?

I have 2 physical Kindle readers, one for the US store and one for the JP store. You can technically use the same for 2 stores, but then you have to de-register and re-register every time you change stores and download everything again. For me, it’s just not worth it.

You can make a separate account on Amazon JP (using a different email address than the one you use for other Amazon stores) and read in the browser.

2 Likes

I was too late for Yotsubato but I’ll catch the next book. I’ve already read thorough Yotsuba but it was before I learned grammar so I was just looking at the vocab and assuming what they were saying based on that lol. Now that I know grammar from N5 to N4, it’s much easier to read. I can’t believe I tried to read without even knowing what the て form was lol

I’m worried about Pokemon since I haven’t seen the series before and only know basic names like Pikachu and Evie. But I was always interested in getting into it since it’s so popular, so I’ll think of this as the beginning of my Pokemon journey

7 Likes

Yep, there will be a deck for Yotsubato 2! Will put it up within this week.

7 Likes

There are other purchase options on the Natively page for those for whom Amazon is inconvenient: https://learnnatively.com/book/2201b7f9bd/

I tend to use BookWalker for manga, it’s no fuss to buy from abroad on the jp site and the Android app works well on my tablet (my Kindle is a little too small to read manga comfortably).

4 Likes

Another option is BookLive:

5 Likes

Yess, excited for this!! I already own the first three volumes, which is the “Red and Blue” saga (the various plot arcs are named after the various games) and am halfway through volume 2, so I’m excited to reread the first volume more in depth. It feels so nostalgic and I like the way the Pokémon are drawn by the artist, some feel so squishable and huggable ahah.
I will be happy to provide context and information about Pokémon for newcomers to the series!

8 Likes

Thanks everyone for help on purchasing the ebook.

For others in a similar situation, I bought the ebook from BookWalker.
I went away from Amazon because of the location restriction and a Kindle not giving optimal conditions for reading mangas.
It was then between BookWalker and BookLive.
I decided on BookWalker because they had an Android app.

1 Like

What are the plans for pacing?
Looking at the pacing of Yotsubato, it seems that it started out with 7 pages per day, but ended on 3 pages per day.
Personally, I believe that 3 pages per day will be significantly more manageable.

1 Like

Excited that we’re doing Pokemon this time. I was hoping that’s what would get picked last time since I’ve already gone through Yotsubato.

Just purchased my copy off of amazon. Looking forward to starting next week. :blush:

2 Likes

It looks like every chapter is roughly 14 pages, so my suggestion would be one chapter per week. Easy to keep track of.

6 Likes

Pokemon post is up for those that would like to start!

The vocab deck is basically complete and we will be adding it in the next day or two once the final adjustments have been made.

7 Likes

Hi @Asher !
Do you know if Yotsuba& vol 1 and 2 are still available in bookstores in Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo? I was in Naha recently and went to all the bookstores I could find and Youtsuba& Vol 1 was not available anywhere. (Even went into ‘Melonbooks’ and oops, I realized what the store name meant right away.) I was hoping I could try my luck again on a later trip to Japan this year. The shipping cost for the book from amazon.co.jp is just too high.
Is the poll for the next book club still open? I would like to vote for Doraemon Vol 1 as I was able to get my hands on that one.

2 Likes

New to the Book Club and message boards in general! 皆さん、こんにちは!! I need to incorporate reading into my self-studying. I only started this journey a year ago.

4 Likes

Hi there! The beginner book club is currently going through ポケットモンスタースペシャル vol 1. The discussion page is here

3 Likes

Thank you!!

2 Likes

I have definitely seen Yotsuba& in book stores before. I haven’t specifically looked for it recently, but I did see it around 6 months ago. I would try Animate. A decently sized one of those is almost guaranteed to have it.

Thanks! The Animate at Naha didn’t have it. I will try again later this year.

1 Like

@Asher Can we get the ‘current book’ info in the first post updated with the link to the new book/thread?

2 Likes

I would like to nominate two more options for the next round of voting.
An easy manga:
ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん - The Wolf of the small forest
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B08164V784/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_351_o03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Level 15 on natively https://learnnatively.com/book/50c4b58766/)

and an easy novel:
こぐまのクーク物語春と夏 - The Story of Kuuku the Bear Cub: Spring and Summer

(Level 18 on natively https://learnnatively.com/book/ab7d021f5b/)

5 Likes