Considering getting Wanikani. Would like some insight

What I meant is that you don’t have any control over the srs, like BunPro does have. To do it in a 7 day per level tempo you have to do the new lessons and Kanji reviews as soon as they become available to keep the srs going. One too many Kanji reviews wrong and you’re forced to wait several days for the srs to continue. You also need that reorder script to do the Kanji first to keep the srs going.

I would have much prefered to be able to keep a 7 day tempo and be able to only do them in the morning and evening, not constantly during the day itself. That made it tough to keep up the tempo, especially during the later levels which can be done in 4.5 days.

It would be much nicer if WK had the option to change the stages yourself or to mark Kanji als ‘already known’.

2 Likes

I finished it after a few years of using it. It’s good with user scripts but I feel like it only covers about half of the vocabulary you need to be able to read anything decently, and it’s still missing some very common daily kanji. But overall it’s a good investment.

Yeah for me the level structure and impossibility to “skip” anything was part of the motivation since it gave you a very tangible (if completely arbitrary) measure of progress.

But it’s true that the low SRS intervals are fairly punishing because you often end up having to do lessons at annoying ours like early in the morning or late at night if you don’t want to push the cycle back by a day if you miss the slot.

When I reached level 40 I slowed down and stopped going “full speed”, it was much more relaxed after that.

1 Like