Daily Stroke Order Practice

I thought it would be cool to do a compilation of past kanji after 1~2 weeks or so, could work nicely as a review, if you space it right. Also seeing the total amount of kanji you can write growing in volume seems pretty encouraging I think

2 Likes

2023年12月3日 「日」

漢字:虎
Kun: とら
On: コ
Jisho Page and WaniKani Page

メモ:I’d like to thank my lovely friend Liz for supplying me with today’s Kanji, this one was a relatively simple but fun one to write out, and sticks with the animal-based theme I’ve been keeping over the past few days. I’m planning on doing a few more animal-based Kanji and then switching back over to a couple of the recommended Kanji from previous comments. Thank you all for the support!

Great idea! It’s nice if you game-ify it as well, makes learning Kanji a lot more fun, and it doesn’t feel like learning. Feel free to follow along with me or matt_in_mito if you feel so inclined!

This is a really cool idea! I might start it up rotating bi-weekly on Saturdays (if I remember, that is!) Thank you for the input!

5 Likes

やばっ、忘れた〜

2023年12月4日 「月」

漢字:竜
Kun: たつ、いせ
On: リュウ、リョウ、ロウ

メモ:After Tiger comes…? Dragon! Great rivals, or potential lovers? Depends on your taste in Anime, I guess. This was a pretty simple one to write out, but I still had fun with it. Technically not an animal, but I think it counts.

4 Likes

2023年12月5日「火」

漢字:狼
Kun: おおかみ
On: ロウ

メモ:Another 10 stroke Kanji, this one was about as easy as 猫 was. I don’t have too much to say about this one. Wolves are cute?

4 Likes

Nice work, as usual.
I noticed you’ve been writing a lot of 獣編, so I thought I’d share with you something I learned at my calligraphy class to make 獣編 look super beautiful. I know you’re not attempting to write in any specific style, but have a go at this if you fancy!

3 Likes

2023年12月6日「水」

漢字:熊
Kun: くま
On: ユウ

メモ:I think this is going to be my last animal for a while. At 14 strokes, this one was a nice challenge, especially with having to space out all the individual radicals. One of my coworkers who speaks Mandarin Chinese actually complemented me on my handwriting, which definitely motivated me to keep this up. Tomorrow I plan on doing some more requests.

Thank you for the guide! Every day I do a new Kanji, I go back and redraw some of the ones from previous days. I used this technique when redrawing 狐、猫、and 狼、And they came out looking really nice. I’ll try to keep this in mind going forward!

5 Likes

Nice work! As a last-minute request on animals, would you consider doing ‘’?

2 Likes

2023年12月8日「金」

漢字:猿
Kun: さる
On: エン

メモ:@Pablunpro Thank you for the suggestion! I haven’t seen this Kanji used very often, but it was a fun one to do along with the rest of the animals I’ve written out.

I didn’t feel too good yesterday, so we’re resuming the Daily Stroke Order Practice today!

4 Likes

2023年12月9日「土」

漢字:繭
Kun: まゆ、きぬ
On: ケン
Jisho Page

メモ:Thank you @CursedKitsune for the suggestion! My hand hurt by the end of writing these, but I did like this Kanji. Cocoon is literally a head, made up of a bug and thread, hanging underneath a flower. What a neat character!

And now, as it is Saturday, let me introduce to everyone, The Bi-Weekly Review!

Personally, I made sure to go back and rewrite every Kanji I’ve learned since starting this daily practice, but to make things interesting for everyone reading along, I made a little Review Quiz! Not only does it strengthen my knowledge by having to make questions to quiz others, but it can be a bit of helpful review to those reading.

Below is the image of the test, after which I will write out the question prompts. Feel free to give it a shot!

Q1: Please match the following Kanji to their English Definition/Reading. (formatting A1, B2, etc.)

Q2: Which of the following Kanji is written incorrectly?
Left to Right: A: Usual, B: Before, C: Later, D: Fox, E: Nose

Q3: Which of the following Kanji share a reading (according to Jisho)?

Q4: Which of the following meanings (according to Jisho) do not belong to the shown Kanji?
Left to Right: A: Drink, B: Suck, C: Smoke, D: Taste

Thank you all for following me along the journey so far! If everyone likes this review, I may continue this format going forward. I will post the image of the completed test tomorrow. If you can’t read my handwriting, I can answer any questions below :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What a nice thread! 本当に本当にお疲れ様です!

Such a nice way to learn, 遊びで勉強するのはきっと楽しいですよね。

それで、答えてみます:

答え

Q1: A3, B1, C4, D2, E5
Q2: D, you used the hand radical (扌) instead of the dog radical (犭).
Q3: A and C, they share the 音読み reading ロウ
Q4: D

良い週末を

2 Likes

2023年12月10日「日」

漢字:勉
Kun: つと.める
On: ベン

メモ:Decided to do this one today as I was using it in one of my example sentences. A part of the する verb 勉強する, this Kanji will be important for someone like me who is doing a lot of studying.

I hope everyone enjoyed the little review I made, below are the answers and explanations!

Bi-Weekly Review

Q1: A3, B1, C4, D2, E5.
Q2: D
Q3: A and C
Q4: B and D.

Question 1 is obvious if you remember the definitions and readings of these kanji.
In Question 2, Fox should be written with the Animal Radical (犭), not the Hand Radical (扌)
For Question 3, They share an On reading, ロウ
Finally, in Question 4, I made a mistake when reading the Jisho article and ended up making this a sort-of Trick Question. While 飲 can be used when talking about smoking tobacco, The proper kanji for “Suck” is 吸. 飲 can also be used when talking about taking medicine, and “Taste” should have been “Take”, but the correct kanji for “Taste” is 味.

Thank you to anyone who tried out my Review, hopefully the next one will be even better!

4 Likes

2023年12月11日「月」

漢字:警
Kun: いまし.める
On: ケイ

メモ:Thank you @Pablunpro for the recommendation! Or should I be thanking you… Jokes aside, this Kanji is a very interesting balancing act between its three distinct parts. It feels really good to get it right, but at 19 strokes it was no joke.

5 Likes

I saw yours and decided to give it a go myself!

5 Likes

2023年12月12日「火」

漢字:強
Kun: つよ.い、つよ.まる、つよ.める、し.いる、こわ.い
On: キョウ、ゴウ

メモ:For some reason, It never dawned on me that the 強 in the word 「勉強」 is the same 強 that’s in the adjective 「強い」. If that doesn’t shed any light about how early I am into my journey here, I don’t know what will. Hopefully my vocabulary will continue to expand as I work on this project!

Thank you for following along! Yours looks fantastic, さすがマットさん!

5 Likes

2023年12月13日「水」

漢字:風
Kun: かぜ、かざ-
On: フウ、フ

メモ:A bit late today. I ended up spending a lot of time out of the house today and only ended up getting to this now. It’s a bit tough to space this kanji out, but it’s good to get more practice.

4 Likes

2023年12月14日「木」

感じ:呂
Kun: せぼね
On: ロ、リョ

メモ:A little bit less late today. I decided to go with a simple, easy Kanji today (also because 呂 follows very nicely after お風) and was intrigued by the difference between Jisho’s and WaniKani’s description of the Kanji. Jisho states that 呂 means “Spine” or “Backbone”, while WaniKani lists it as meaning “Bath”. The Kun reading, 「せぼね」also fits the Kun reading of 「背骨」、 being “Spine”, “Backbone”, or “Spinal Column”. If anyone has more information for the etymology of this symbol and wants to share, I would love to know how this disconnect came to be.

Minor Edit: I apologize about being able to see my pen ink bleeding through the page. I am currently on vacation and left my main notebook at home, so I’ve had to make do with a spare composition notebook to make these posts. I’ll be sticking to one side of the page in the future to avoid this happening going forward.

3 Likes

2023年12月15日「金」

漢字:誓
Kun: ちかう
On: セイ

メモ:Thank you @Pablunpro for the recommendation! I had a lot of fun with this one. Similar to 警 but with 5 less strokes, this one actually felt really easy to balance, and was quick and simple to write out. I’m not sure how often I’ll be making written vows to people to need to use this Kanji, but the experience was worth it nevertheless!

4 Likes

全然大丈夫です。 :blush:

You really did it nicely. And remember, if you say it don’t break it! (That’s my mnemonic for this one.)

BTW, I see that ‘mnemonic’ is (of course) ‘記憶法’. You could go for these three, each of them has a distinct challenge. I like ‘’ particularly.

とにかく、良い一週末を

2 Likes

2023年12月16日「土」

漢字:吸
Kun: す.う
On: キュウ
Jisho Page and WaniKani

メモ:My friend Noah gave me today’s Kanji. No clue why he decided on the word “Suck”, but we’re going with it.

4 Likes

2023年12月12日「日」

漢字:記
Kun: しる.す
On: キ

メモ:Thank you to @Pablunpro for today’s Kanji! Today’s was simple, the first part of the 熟語 word 記憶法、or “Idiom”. I feel like I’ve been getting a lot of opportunities to write the 言 radical, not that I’m complaining. Whether it be げん or ごんへん、they seem to be very common radicals that I’ll need to have down by heart. Good thing they’re not particularly difficult.

5 Likes