君の名は。 discussion (Intermediate) August 2024

Yeah, this is good advice. I’m trying to only add words for now that seem very useful (or would soon have come up in the N3/N2 vocab decks anyway)

4 Likes

I was curious about 神楽殿 from here

この日にはぱりっとした巫女装束を着て、真っ赤な口紅を塗りじゃらじゃらした頭飾りまでつけて、神楽かぐら殿でんに立ち聴衆の前に出て、お祖母ちゃんに仕込まれた舞いを舞う。火事で意味が失われたという、二人が対になった舞いだ。

and found a nice blurb about it here. The article goes into more detail, but the first two paragraphs are the gist.

神社の境内には様々な建築物を見ることができますが、その中に「神楽殿(かぐらでん)」というものがあります。

神楽とは日本の神道の神事で神に奉納するための歌舞です。神楽の語源は「神座(かむくら・かみくら)」からきており、「神の宿るところ」という意味です。ここに神を降ろし、人々の穢れを祓い、巫女による神がかりで人々と交流する神事でここで舞が舞われます。これが神楽で、この神楽を舞う建物が神楽殿です。

1 Like

We’re past the second reading milestone now. How’s it going for everyone? Anything particularly interesting, funny, confusing, exciting, etc.? Near the end of the segment, I laughed when Yotsuha wanted to

... have her sister fund a trip to Tokyo by mass-producing 巫女の口嚙み酒.
3 Likes

I missed noting this in the last section, but here’s an interesting piece regarding ムー, such as in

男子高校生の趣味って『ムー』とかじゃないの!?

[EDIT: I hit the consecutive post limit haha, so I’m tacking this new message onto this previous one.]

I swam on ahead in the reading. I thought to maybe take notes of things that stood out to me and post them at the appropriate time according to the schedule, but I’ve kind of lost track :sweat_smile: Mitsuha’s a real character! I’ll keep going and so will effectively drop out of the book club, but I didn’t want to just disappear, so this message. Super Cub and this have helped me a lot to figure out my own pacing and how to better learn from reading, so here’s a testimonial for everyone who participated–thank you, and good luck on your journey!

1 Like

Just as an update, I am finished with this first block and currently on vacation without my computer, so no reading the ebook.
By the way, is a vocab deck for this book still planned @Asher?

1 Like

I wonder why the author uses スマフォ instead of スマホ?
Are both common? Is this a regional thing?

1 Like

My guess is that it was just the choice of the author to use スマフォ. Technically, スマフォ is more correct since it is short for スマートフォン and not スマートホン, but because ホ is easier to say than フォ, スマホ is more common!

2 Likes

I’m a little late to the party but I like the movie so I’m tempted to buy this too - maybe it will be difficult to follow along at the same speed as this group as I’m WK 21. I’ll have a go

1 Like

Yup! I’ll try to get it up as soon as possible with the first few chapters at the bare minimum :bowing_man:.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m trying to catch up on the reading too. I saw this quite late and am probably about 3 weeks behind in the schedule, but I enjoy working my way through the novel.

Just wanted to comment and say that I really love the book club ideas and am also looking forward to the vocab list for this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes