For you, what was the most confusing part of Bunpro as a new user?

Wowww, 2 years later and this helped me so much. I was google searching “should I memorize the words introduced by Bunpro?” because I was so confused about how I was supposed to know the words they were introducing, I thought it was just a grammar app.

Your post made me realize that the word I’m conjugating is literally written right next to the blank space and there’s an arrow. I wish they had like a “hey, this is a new question format, here’s how to do it!” rather than just showing an arrow and expecting me to get it.

Edit: Nvm I just realized some of the questions really do expect you to just have the word memorized, it’s kind of a bad experience, I’m not here to learn new words that’s what anki and WK are for, I wish it just showed me the word above the sentence and I can figure out the conjugation from there.

3 Likes

Hi Ayeblinken, welcome to the forums!

I’m glad my post helped a little, though I think I could clarify the issue a little further.
The only thing you should have to memorise is the actual grammar point (of course), and any word that needs to be added into the sentence and modified by the grammar point should be written at the end in brackets.
The rules for how to modify the work in brackets will be part of the grammar explanation, and part so part of the ‘test’ for each review.

For example,
down below is a review for the grammar point ばいい (can・should, it’d be good if). This grammar point is conjugated to a word in a certain way (it can’t be used in isolation). The sentence is asking how to say ‘would be better to go’, and the word you are using is on the side (行く・いく: to go).

Does that clear up the issue?

1 Like

Ahhh, thank you, this does help a lot. I realize now I was mixing up some of the grammar points thinking they were actually vocab. Below for instance, I thought that “shi” was “to play” and “masu” was the polite conjugation and was frustrated because I never learned the word “to play” and yet I was being asked to conjugate it without a reference. I realize now that shimasu is the polite version of the grammar point and “to play” is just one of the possible meanings.