Frequency List, Separation of Formal/Informal & Literary/Spoken

I see that N1 is still in the works, so I recognize that this should be the priority. However, I suggest adding further methods of dividing and categorizing grammar points. Maybe something like a “conversational path” that builds off of frequency lists of spoken grammar and vocabulary. Then, this could be complemented by a “literary path” for those who are more inclined to read than to speak. Maybe you should consider a TV/anime/movie path too. Once all of the content is created, it could be further categorized beyond the JLPT levels to allow for alternative sorting and paths like this.

Also, while it’s great to have broad knowledge with a variety of grammar points, we end up with numbers in the double digits for something like “can’t help but” when only one or two would probably suffice for most language learners. Then, the less frequently used versions could be studied later. Basically, what I’m saying is that while JLPT should continue to be the clear point of focus, I think the program should be expanded to allow for students with different priorities. The content doesn’t need to change, just the categorization options to allow for a more efficient focus on what will be most helpful most quickly.

11 Likes

This reminded me of an idea I had a while back. Once N1 is up and ready, I’d still love to see something like this:

9 Likes

Absolutely.

2 Likes

I think the most efficient way for the BP team to develop this (and likelihood of you getting this feature request) is to have a book path for the categories you mentioned. Otherwise, creating a lesson plan can get subjective and time consuming for them to organize. In addition, many of these authors are tenured teachers who using their experience to shape the content and path for specific goal in mind. I see people using the paths currently available so it appears to a successful approach.

Is there anything particular in the N5/N4 realm that should be prioritized or cherry-picked for a conversational versus literary path? At least for those grammar points, I see everything as very useful…N3 and above I would think would have the most benefit here in terms of categorization.

1 Like

FWIW, I wasn’t referring to creating new paths; I just want to be able to sort and/or drill grammar points (most likely by using the existing “cram session” feature, although it’d be nice to see what grammar is used where/how on all their respective grammar pages, too).

2 Likes

Language learning sequences are generally naturally subjective. Teachers choose the sequencing they think is best. When they have research on their side, they can pretend to be objective, but there will always be subjectivity. Language is an art, not a science.

That said, the reason I mentioned frequency lists was to try and make it as simple and as objective as possible. In many languages, you end up with a relatively small percentage of the language dominating the majority of daily discourse.

It’s all useful. There is nothing to learn here that won’t help, but careful curation based on experience and research could get people closer to their goals more efficiently.

3 Likes

I’m entirely on board with grammar paths outside of JLPT. It’s been brought numerous times that the grammar goals for a survivalist to converse with native versus an avid reader diverge. After further thought I don’t think this could be properly be built given BP’s current structure without adding features or content; so I’d prefer to expand rather than consolidate on the current library.

For the reader or literary minded, it’s been brought up numerous times the need for a comprehension review platform. In the midterm, I’ve been just building decks that suit my comprehension needs for grammar reading. In terms of content priority, I see reading as free game thus far. Given the example sentences are from native content, I haven’t found anything outstanding but I’m only ~15% into N2 at the moment but perhaps there is higher priority N1 material for reading, IDK. Did you have any specific suggestions how you would like this built?

Same with conversational paths, there are a ton of expressions/metaphors/idioms that are not even in any JLPT spectrum and certainly not on BP. Again, I’ve just been building decks from other sources to suit this need so I think they could use a book path to help with this just so they have the content. I’ve had natives look through the blue and red grammar dictionary tell me what they found has most practical and useful in a conversation context as well.

From a teaching perspective from what I’ve found, the process can be iterative; you see what works/not works with students and experience shapes how you can suit a student’s best. Not that it’s entirely experimental of course but if teachers are listening to student feedback then they don’t have to pretend to be objective. But I brought up added literary paths because creating content and creating lesson plans is a very different focus and since the books paths have proved popular (and users here are content hungry), perhaps it would be helpful here.

3 Likes