Have you written your (assigned) Japanese Sentence today?

いつ日本に来ましたか。
You don’t need 時 here. Also changed word order for more natural one.

犬は飼っていません。ネコは飼っています。

飼う(かう) is used for keeping a pet.

青のTシャツか緑のTシャツが欲しい?
or 青色のTシャツか緑色のTシャツが欲しい? or
ブルーのTシャツかグリーンのTシャツが欲しい?

I hope it helps :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

I thought I could use just いつ but jisho.org doesn’t even have that in its dictionary, so I lost my conviction and used what it said was the way to say it.

I had a feeling there might be a more specific word for having a pet, because this is Japanese, but sometimes it is better to try. :laughing:

I just checked and saw blue and green were no-adjectives, I haven’t gotten to reading about those yet, but I have a feeling I got my first taste now.

Thanks a lot! (Yes, again!)

1 Like

No problem!
Do not be afraid to try! Without trying and failing person cannot learn anything new :+1:

3 Likes

The top one is Jisho’s entry for いつ. It can also be written (何時) so maybe that’s why you didn’t find it?

1 Like

・いつも間違ってるのはなぜだろうか?(made it into “why am I always wrong”. I really don’t know about this one though… couldn’t think of a natural sounding phrase for it)

・信じられる?一体何だったの?(made it into “what in the world was that?”)

・子猫、おいでおいで。食べたいよ。もぐもぐ…

It’s ok if it’s cold.
This bread is not tasty.
How many do you have?
Do you know where the hotel is?
Come home before it gets dark.
If you follow this street you will get to a house full of people for sure.

1 Like

… … … So the way the page formats the furigana above made me think it meant that いつ was only for the first kanji (aka that it would be read like this いつ). I didn’t stop to think that they would have put more furigana for the second kanji if that was so.
That is pretty annoying actually, because the furigana clearly looks like it belongs to just one kanji, but I scrolled down and it seems to be common. Or I should say common for exceptional readings that belong to multiple kanji…

寒くてもいい。
(assuming we’re talking about the weather here… Otherwise, I guess we’d have to replace 寒い with something else!)

このパンが美味しくないです。

Alright, so I am not sure how to handle this one. If the intention is to ask for the hotels location, then maybe just “where’s the hotel”?
ホテルはどこですか。
But that’s… pretty far from a literal translation. Someone wants to take a stab at literally asking whether the other guy knows about the hotel’s whereabouts?

暗くなる前に帰りなさい。

この道に追いかけてから、たくさん人がある家には必ず着く。

So many questions! Is 必ず a good choice here? Is the placement correct? Is it fine even to use てから?
Can “full of people” really be translated that way? Quite the sentence :slight_smile:

Anyway, I guess I owe you guys some sentences!

I’d be better to write four japanese sentences every day!
I could eat fourty portions!
Haven’t you heard? There will be fireworks tonight!
When you learn every day, writing becomes easy!
I decided on rice today.
Yesterday, I only ate green things. Today, I’ll go for blue.
When the traffic light turns red, you must not go!

Oh, in case some Bunpro Staff reads this: Duolingo has a “Club” feature. It’s mostly useless, but it asks the users to write some sentence once a day. This is automated by some bot either posting two pictures (and you then have to make a sentence about that), just one picture of a scene, or it’s just asking you to “use this word”.
Perhaps something like this could also be done here, if a discourse-bot allows that?

2 Likes

Yeah I guess it happens sometimes when the furigana characters don’t separate to fit into a specific kanji. Like…

い is not 何
つ is not 時
いつ is 何時

Don’t really know how to explain it properly but it shouldn’t bee too confusing. You will get the hang of the pattern once you familiarise yourself with kanji a bit more :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, I do know this. It was literally the formatting on the website that threw me. Not how it works, since it is the same for 今日 and probably several more words I do know. The website should have formatting so the furigana gets centered over both kanji to make it clearer, or some other syntax to show when furigana is shared between multiple kanji. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah sorry then! Yeah I guess you are right. Even looking at the example sentences, sometimes the furigana is all over the place :wink:

1 Like

Do you know any store that sells cheap shoes around here?
この辺に、安い靴を売っている店を知っていますか?

Perfect!

My friend told me he wanted to live in Japan, but refuses to learn kanji.
友達は日本に住みたいって言ったけど、漢字を勉強するのを拒んだ。

Perfect! Though, I would simply say 嫌がる which also means “to refuse”.

No way! That’s not possible, you liar!
うそだろう!無理っすよ!うそつき!

I would say:
うそだろう!そんなのありえないよ!うそつき!

Because 無理っすよ in most contexts means “I can’t do that/ I am not able to do that etc”. (But it also sometimes is used as “that can’t be possible”, so in the end all your sentences are 10/10)
If you want to say that possibility of something happening is extremely low you should go for ありえない。

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the valuable response! These small nuances are so helpful!

2 Likes

Not a problem, your sentences were extremelly good :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I love the idea of this thread so let me try to revive it.
Noted that the few sentences above were not translated, so let me try those. Plus offer a few of mine, with increasing difficulty.

米を40杯食べられた
I could eat 40 portions of rice
40人前を食べられた
I could eat portion of size for 40 people.

聞いったの?今日、花火があるそうだ!
I feel as if negative form in the first one sounds a bit unnatural (not sure though).

And a few from my side - pick any you like :wink:

1. I love cats.
  2. I have two cats.
  3. My friend walks with her dog each day.
  4. When I was her guest, my friends’ two dogs made me play with them.

Hope someone would be interested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

猫が好き
2匹猫が飼っています
友達は毎日犬と散歩しています
友達の客がいた時、2匹犬と遊んでもらました

1 Like

Thanks for picking this up! Let me share what my ideas were re those sentences. The below is just my line of thought, which may as well be wrong :persevere:

猫を二匹飼う。I had this idea in my mind.
First, it is a general statement - I have those two cats in general, without any focus at the moment. So I thought to use う verb form instead of ~している
Second, the counter usually goes in this order: Noun + particle + counter + verb. Sometimes it is Counter + の + noun + particle + verb though. The latter is used when you are going to further elaborate on that noun.
For ex: 本を二冊買った。
二冊の本を買った。And then I am going to say which were those two, and why, and whatever.

彼女のとこるに泊まったとき、二匹の犬に遊ばされた。I meant to use the causative form to show that I was not that happy with the situation.
I thought about “stay in her house” so perhaps my choice of words in Eng was not so good :roll_eyes:

And the other sentences I thought to be the same as you said :smile: Anyways, let’s continue tomorrow!

1 Like

Thanks, it was kinda fun to do. I didn’t really know what to say for the 4th one. Perhaps, because I was trying to translate the “guest” word to literally, instead of “stay at her house”. The order of when to put the counter also does confuse me sometimes and I just end up putting it where you do in English. As for the causative form, I have yet to learn that yet, and don’t even know what it means, it’s 3 of the Bunpro “lesson sets” away from me yet.