How to go back to bunpro after a long hiatus?

Hello all,

I’ve been studying Japanese for a while, alway on and off. Life happens, so every now and then I go on a big hiatus, but then eventually I catch up.
This time, it has been really hard to catch up with my bunpro reviews and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to come back to it.

I was thinking of removing from the review queue many recent topics and re add them when I get things going and feel more confident. I was wondering if “Remove from reviews” will reset SRS stages. It’s ok if it does, I just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Cheers!

2 Likes

As for tips, set a daily review target that is not overwhelming but makes a decent dent. Let’s say 50 reviews a day. Keep that up no matter what to get back into the habit.
If some days you feel like you can push further go for it, but don’t push too hard all at once. It’ll take a while to clear the reviews, as ones you get wrong will be added back the next day, but that’s not your focus. Your focus is rebuilding the daily habit. This worked for me when I took a short break and came back to many reviews.

2 Likes

Also this thread should help with your first question

I’m also trying to make a comeback after a long break. I’ve been removing grammar points that I flat out can’t remember and bookmarking ones that seem familar but I’m not confident with so that I can go back and look at them in more detail. I guess my advice is just chip away at it, don’t add anything new until you’ve conquered the review pile.
If clearing a cetain number of reviews a day doesn’t work for you, you could just set a time limit like 20 mins or an hour and see how much you can get done in that timeframe. Keep it short and manageable so you don’t get burned out or overwhelmed
Welcome back!

1 Like

I know it’s difficult, but my advice is to ignore the number of reviews remaining.
Then, as others have said, chip away at it: just do a bit, then do a bit more later, then a bit more … you’ll be back in the swing of it after a bit and reviews will eventually get to 0 (temporarily of course).
It might take a long time to get to that point, but it’s totally OK, and you won’t notice that if you’re ignoring the number of reviews remaining anyway :wink:

3 Likes

I came back after a few months and had over 100. Instead of trying to do them all at once, I did as many as I could handle and then hit “End Session” until I was ready to do more. Don’t be afraid of that “End Session” button

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies!

I ended up doing the following:

• Removing many items from my review queue and I’ll re add them later when the queue gets a bit more manageable
  • Stick to timed reviews until I build the habit back. 20-30min is an excellent time slot for that.

I also asked help from a friend and we study Japanese at a nice cafe once a week for 1h30. Each one studies their own material, but it’s good to have company.

Cheers!

1 Like

One other thing I could suggest was to reduce the number of ghost reviews . . . there is a setting where you need to get the answer wrong twice before a ghost review is generated. This has helped me greatly in reducing the number of reviews.

Ghost reviews certainly do their job to make your memory stronger, so I’d not recommend to turn them off unless you strongly feel it makes your language learning journey better :grin:

1 Like