Information in the Wild Week 1: Practicing with Simple Signs around the Station

I like how you describe your whole process :slightly_smiling_face:! Especially day 3.

Day 3 Thoughts

Must be a pretty fancy cake shop if you need a reservation eh? Now that I’m thinking about it, I have never bought a full cake from a store before, so maybe having to order ahead of time is normal?

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

4 Likes

My thought process was entirely the same!

3 Likes
Day 2

<stream of consciousness / internal monologue>
Green banner:
Mmm I don’t recognise all the kanji, north something label/tag maybe.

Next section, looking at the red lettering:
こちらのsomething tag/label, エレベーターがございません
In this direction… mm makes more sense that it’s the polite was of saying this, maybe something like this notice, elevator something いません - probably means it’s not working. Maybe polite was of saying there is not a elevator

Bottom line:
something task customer, south something somethingをsomething task please

Map
Think something like
it’s safe to go in the direction of south for customers… head towards the south exit/entrance

ugh need to look up some kanji, I’m going to use a combination of Yomiwa app on my android phone for OCR and the radical look-up on jisho. Oh autocomplete helped out when typing, mm thats a bit cheaty.

改札 - かいさつ - ticket barrier! oh not even close
利用 - りよう - use. Yeah kinda close with that guess
案内 - あんない - guidance, the way. Ack this is in my vocab deck! :man_facepalming:
方面 - ほうめん - direction. Oo useful word. I was a bit thrown by the 2nd kanji, ‘direction face?’ I suppose ‘face the direction’
現在地 - げんざいち - you are help. had to do a bit of jisho sleuthing

Ah okay, so its
directions to the southern ticket barrier, elevator using customers,

What are people using for OCR on their Android phones? I’m using ‘Yomiwa’ - it’s okay.

4 Likes

Oh yes, I know that feeling too!

2 Likes

Thank you for the extended story today @Asher , in both English and Japanese! Nice one!

3 Likes

Turning up to the party unfashionably late :partying_face:
Decided to stop being afraid and just give it a shot, haha.

Day 1

Please do not bring your pets into this area.

B E A N S

Day 2

There is no lift at this ticket entrance. Please use the southern entrance if you wish to use the lift.

For customers who wish to use the lift:
Guide for Accessing the Southern Entrance

You are here → northern ticket entrance. Take a left, go straight and take the next left. The southern ticket entrance is on your right.

Day 3

:snowflake: Christmas Reservations :snowflake:

The deadline for Christmas reservations is December 22nd.

We will not be able to reserve your order, accept phone calls etc., between December 23rd-25th.

Due to limited quantites, all orders must be paid for in advance.

We thank you for your cooperation.

(Yes, I know I moved the “all” at the end there, but it felt more natural! Also in terms of Reserving Your Order™, this is just how I would naturally say “hold your cake for you” in a more businessy sense. I’ve never heard of the word “layaway”, so I learnt something new today!)

Day 4

Please use the tongs to take your bread.
We ask you not to touch the bags directly with your hands.

(Bit of liberty there because I didn’t wanna reuse please, haha. I don’t know why I’m explaining myself when this is a “Let’s just understand the meaning” thing, but whatever, I’m an anxious soul! Pompadour does have some pretty decent bread. I’ve been to that same one in Motomachi too! :handshake: )

Day 5

Dear Customer
From January 2023, our store will close every Monday.
2022 → Closed on Wednesdays
2023 → Closed on Mondays
We appreciate your cooperation.

(Change of business days, innit. Cheers for the heads up, Owner-san! I’ll steer clear on Mondays!)

Day 6

CAUTION

This door may open.

Please don’t stand near it.

Thank you.

Day 7

Reception for today has ended.

We look forward to seeing you again.

4 Likes

Enjoyed reading all the responses, I seem to have had a more hopeful assessment of the cake situation than most and felt a ready-made cake on display was a possibility. More than likely though, an alternative option for the cake and supplementing it with some additional persuasion like @Asher suggested would probably be required.

4 Likes

Welcome! We’re just getting warmed up! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Your assessment is also totally a possibility, I didn’t even think it might be possible to buy a normal cake on the day to be honest. I am mainly basing this opinion on it being impossible to buy chicken from KFC around Christmas unless you have an order as well haha. I’ve never bought a Christmas cake myself, but I know they are in the same league as KFC when it comes to Christmas. :rofl:

3 Likes
Day 1

I got it with Google translate - Please do not bring pets to this area - but when parsing it out without Google was getting “Pet area accompanied please refrain” so I am not sure what the grammar is that turns it into the actual meaning. But why “Beans”?

3 Likes

Beans is the name of the store where the sign is.

Does the additional information in the sample answer help?

2 Likes

Oh - yes, definitely! I forgot to go back and look at your explanation. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

:eyes:

4 Likes

Good catch! Read it too quickly and wanted to get an answer out before running some errands :man_facepalming:

3 Likes
Day 5

They are closed on Mondays instead of Wednesdays

4 Likes

Thanks for posting these up and for all the translations, this is good fun!

3 Likes

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? I usually am.

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think a few people at least are using the screen/picture reading function of Google Lens.

I have only used it a few times to be honest, but it usually does the job if there is anything you can’t read.

3 Likes

Never heard of Google Lens before. Is it better than just using Google Translate?

The problem I have with Google Translate when using the camera, is that it does just that, it translates…! But it doesn’t give me the reading. I get around that by using the handwriting function, which I only discovered through this thread this week, which will also give the reading. How about Lens?

3 Likes