Information in the Wild Week 2: Recyling and Garbage Day in Mito

Week Two!! If you don’t know what’s happening, main post here.
Week one can be found here.

This week we will be looking at a leaflet for recycling and garbage collection from the city of Mito. The sorting and preparation process is likely a bit more involved than you are use to if you don’t live in Japan. Since there is quite a bit of information, we’ll be taking a slightly different approach this week compared to Week one where we had a new picture each day. Instead, each day there will be a new question(s) that you would need to reference the leaflet to answer.

The questions in first couple of days will be limited to scanning the document for the necessary information and will not require any heavy reading, so give it a try even if you think you’re “not ready”.

Downloading the image may make it more clear when zooming in.

Day 1:
On what days and by what time does your “Burnable Garbage” have to be ready for collection?

Hint: Japanese for "Burnable Garbage

燃えるごみ

Additional hint if you're really stuck

Look at each of the numbered headings

Day 2:
Today is Tuesday, December 20th 2022, what categories are being collected today?

For reference: 2022 is 令和4年

Day 3:
You’ve been doing the Pocari Sweat Diet for the last week, meaning you have only drunk Pocari Sweat for the last seven days. Now you have a whole bunch of bottles, prepare them for collection and make note of the next upcoming collection date. (Today is Dec 21, 2022)

Image for those unfamiliar with Pocari Sweat

Hint if stuck on which category they belong to

The bottles are PET bottles

Day 4:
Your neighbour who recently moved in from United States is asking for your help. They have a knife, a couple of broken plates and an empty can of spray paint. Could you tell them how they need to prepare the items and when to take them out? (Today is Dec 22, 2022)

Hint: Which categories they fall under

Categories 12 and 15

Day 5:
Your electronic dictionary that had been chugging along for the last few months, while you were eyeing the shiny new models, has finally stopped working. It had too much wear and tear on it to be worth much of anything. But before you run out to grab a new one with a wonderful colour screen and double the amount of reference books that you would never use, you need to would need to figure out how to dispose the old one.

Hint if stuck on which category

Category 10

Day 6:
Some friends are coming over for a Christmas Eve gathering tonight so you’ll save the garbage sorting for tomorrow. Your friend had the foresight to preorder a KFC party barrel:

They’ll be going to pick it up later so they sent you a link of the menu to see if you wanted to add anything. The limited stuff is definitely all gone but there is the side menu and Christmas packs.

https://www.kfc.co.jp/lp/xmas/

Anything you would like to add?

Day 7:
Cleaning up from the night before, you look over the things you need to prepare for collection: a couple of sashimi trays, a few bento boxes, a bunch of drink cans, and a broken bike one of your friends left behind. They mentioned a reason but you don’t remember now. You already know the date the recycling has to go out but should probably double check when to put out the bike.

Hint if you're struck on which category

We’ll say the bike is category 12 and the rest 6 and 9.

New question(s) daily by 9 am JST
Week 3 will be individual signs again.

Check in if you’re participating this week

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

7 Likes

Sample Answers (Updated the following day)

Day 1

Every Monday and Thursday and have them ready by 8am

Day 2

資源物A (Categories 1-6) and プラ (Category 9)

プラ is also collected because 2022 is 令和4年 so the schedule is already the 1 から 4.

Day 3
  • Place the bottles in a transparent to semi transparent bag so they are visible (Do not use city designated collection bags)

• Wash the inside and crush them

• Remove the cap and label and dispose those with the plastic category

• The ring by the lip of the bottle does not need to be removed

Category 7 items are collected every 2nd and 4th Tuesday, the next upcoming collection date will be Dec 27th (4th Tuesday).

A short skit about throwing away PET bottles:
もしアメリカ人が日本人のペットボトルの捨て方を知ったら#shorts - YouTube

Day 4
  • The Knife and Broken plates would need to be wrapped in thick paper before putting them into a city designated blue collection bag

• They will need to wait until the first Wednesday of next month to throw these

• The spray can will need to be emptied and placed into a transparent or semi-transparent bag

• The next collection date for category 15 items is next Tuesday, Dec 27th

Day 5

You will have to bring it to a special box that can be found in the main city government building, a bench office (Akatsuaka, Tsunezumi), and some “civic centres”.
Hopefully you won’t need to call for any extra assistance.

Day 6

Your friend wanted to share the Japanese “tradition” of KFC Christmas with you.

I probably would have told them that I had already bought some sashimi and wouldn’t need to add anything.

Day 7
  • Drink cans will need to be lightly rinse placed in a transparent or semi-transparent bag. Do not crush the cans.

• Sashimi trays and bento box will need to be placed in a transparent or semi-transparent bag. If the trays are dirty, lightly rinse them. If they are too difficult to clean, throw them with the burnable garbage.

• Bike would be Category 12 since it is within the size limit of 1m by 50 cm by 50cm. A blue disposal ticket must be attached in an easy to see spot.

• Do not put in a transparent or semi transparent bag

Answers with additional context provided by @matt_in_mito

Suggested format for posting your answers
Will make it easier to distinguish from questions and discussions

2 Likes
Day 1

Every monday/thursday at 8 am.

Day 2

Newspaper, cardboard, other paper stuff (?), drink box, clothing, and bottles/cans.

Day 3

They should be picked up next week on the 27th (tuesday).

Day 4

Since the knife and broken plates are dangerous, they should be wrapped in cardboard first then put in the designated bag (I think its the one in the picture?). Those should be picked up on the 1st and 3rd wednesday of the month. Since today is Dec 22 (yesterday was the 3rd wednesday of the month) I assume it will be picked up on the Jan 4, 2023?

The spray can should be put in a transparent or semitransparent bag (the spray can has to be fully emptied before doing that). Should be picked up on the 2nd and 4th tuesday of the month. So I think it should be on tuesday next week, Dec 27 (?)

Day 5

I’m not sure about this one… I think it says something like theres a recollection box in your city hall building. I assume thats where you go and dispose these kind of electronics? That sounds like a hassle haha.

Day 6

I would probably add 3-5 boxes of nuggets and fries :joy:

Day 7

The cans are category 6, meaning they will be collected on Jan 3rd, the sashimi trays and bento boxes are category 9, meaning they will be collected on Dec 27th. And the bike is on category 12, which are collected on the 1st and 3rd wednesday of the month, meaning it will be picked up on Jan 4th. We should stick the blue disposal sticker on it before, on a part where it can be seen easily.

4 Likes

Weekly answers:

Day 1

Every Monday and Thursday by 8am.

4 Likes

I like the idea for this week!

Day 1

Burnable garbage is picked up on Monday and Thursdays at 8:00 (AM).

Day 2

December 20th is the third Tuesday of the month so that means categories 1-6. Category 9 looks to be collected from the first to the fourth Tuesday so that should also be picked up today.

Day 3

PET bottles are collected on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. It looks like you also have to remove the cap and label and sort them separately under the plastics category (9). This category is picked up the first 4 Tuesdays of the month.

The plastic and PET bottle pick up overlap next week, so both will be collect next Tuesday the 27.

Day 4

Knives and sharp items like broken plates need to be wrapped up in thick paper, then disposed of in the light blue bag. These will be picked up next on the first Wednesday of the month, so January 4.

Spray bottles need to be put into translucent bags. These are collected next on the fourth Tuesday of the Month, so December 27.

Day 5

Electronic dictionaries fall under category 10. Looks like for these items, I’ll have to head over to city hall or a branch office and find the dedicated collection box. There’s exactly 14 items that should be disposed of like this.

I guess for other similar electronics you would need to ask the 減量課(?). Doesn’t seem right to me but I’m having trouble making out the characters.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to put the rubbish out!

Day one

Where I live it’s Mondays and Thursdays and it goes in yellow bags. How about in Mito? Ah, well, it’s easy to spot what the Japanese call ‘burnable rubbish’ from the picture, section 11, and yes, yellow bags again! But which days? There it is, at the top of section 11:

毎週-月*木曜日
まいしゅう-げつ*もくようび
Every week - Mon/Thursdays

午前8時まで
ごぜん8じまで
Before 8 in the morning

Same as us!

Fun fact:

Japanese families are sticklers about separating burnable rubbish from plastic rubbish, genuinely believing that it’s going to be recycled. Actually most of Japan’s plastic waste is exported (Japan is the largest exporter of plastic waste in the world), and of the plastic that remains in the country, most is not recycled as most would imagine recycling, but burnt as fuel. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what people imagine. Japan classifies incineration as a form of recycling.

Day two

Yesterday where I live in Tokyo it was burnable day (every Monday and Thursday) and it was the same in Mito, so I’m going to guess Mito will be the same as me again today…. the brown bag of plastic rubbish.

(Yes, the leaflet says by 8am, but if Mito is anything like our place, there’s no need to hurry! I’ve just taken mine out at 9.30 but I doubt they’ll be here before 11).

So, I’m going to look at the leaflet for confirmation…. And yes there it is, section 9, プラスチック (identified by the プラ mark). But, hmmmm, to see which day I’m guessing I have to look at the top of the leaflet:

(9) プラ: 毎月1回目から4回目の火曜日
(9) プラ: まいげつ1かいめから4かいめのかようび
(9) Plastics: from the 1st to the 4th Tuesdays

At first I thought it was just the 1st and the 4th but that doesn’t make much sense given the vast amounts of plastic rubbish here. I mean, the people of Mito wouldn’t stand for it! And then there’s the から, which I guess means from the 1st to the 4th. But, I do wonder about the 5th. If there happens to be a 5th Tuesday in a month, is there no collection?

But, yes, anyway, same as us… plastics!

Anything else?

Looking at the article it seems that items 1 to 6 go out on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month, so, and I’m going a little dizzy here, if today is the 3rd Tuesday, then I’m guessing today is….

1. 新聞紙 - newspapers
  2. ダンボール - cardboard
  3. その他の紙 - other kinds of paper
  4. 紙パック - drink packs
  5. 類 - cloth, fabrics, etc
  6. びん * - bottles and tins

Anyway, I’ve not taken into account the fact it’s December, if that makes any difference, because I’m losing the will to live at this point!

I’ll just do what I always do and stick my head out of the window and see what my neighbours have put out, and follow them!

Day three

I reckon the next collection of PET bottles is next Tuesday, the 27th. Poor people of Mito! Here where I live in Tokyo, you can take PET bottles out any time you like, there are big permanent net bins to put them in, alongside more bins for cans and glass.

Not that I use many PET bottles. The tap water in Tokyo is clean and safe and cheap, and all you need when you got out is to bring with you your good stainless steel flask, one that lasts forever!

Day four

My new neighbour from the US, who has only just arrived here, has a knife he wants to dispose of? And an empty can of spray paint? He’s been in Tokyo for less than a week and he’s trying to get rid of items like these? What kind of neighbour is this?!

But yes, you can’t get rid of a knife and things like that by just tossing them out any old how, so let’s take a look:

刃物や割れたガラスなどの危険物は, 厚紙などに包んで出してください

刃物 - はもの - edged tools, cutlery
や - and
割れた - われた - broken
ガラス - glass
など - etc
の - possessive particle (?)
危険物 - きけんぶつ - dangerous goods
は - topic particle
厚紙 - あつかみ - thick paper
など - etc
に - another particle
包んで - つつんで - wrap and…
出して - だして - take out…
ください - please

As for cutlery, broken glass, and other dangerous items, please wrap them with thick paper before leaving them out.

Knife and plates: These go out on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, so the next date is going to be the 4th of January. He needs to wrap each item in paper, and place them in a blue bag.

Empty can of spray paint: This goes out on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, so December the 27th. This goes in any clear plastic bag, no need to buy a special one for it.

Goodness only knows what he’ll be wanting to dispose of next week!

Day five

This one is the most difficult yet. Where I live, I’d probably just put it in the blue, non-burnable, bag, but is that the right thing to do? I’ve no idea.

Looking at this wall of text, my heart sinks. But okay, let’s see if I can just get the drift of things. Jisho, here I come!

出し方 - だしかた - disposal method

市役所本庁舎、各出張所(赤塚常澄)一部の市民センター等に専 使用回収ボックスを置き、回収しています。 詳細はごみ減量課までお問合せください

市役所 - しやくしょ - City Hall
本庁舎 - ほんちょうしゃ - main building
各 - かく - each, every
出張所 - しゅっちょうじょ - branch office
(赤塚常澄) - name of a place
一部 - いちぶ - some
の - particle
市民センタ - しみんセンター citizen centres
ー等に専 - ???
使用 - しよう - use
回収 - かいしゅう - collection
ボックス - box
を - particle
置き - おき - put
回収しています- かいしゅうしています - collecting

詳細 - しょうさい - details
は - particle
ごみ - rubbish
減量 - げんりょう - disposal (???)
課 - か - division, department, section
まで - particle
お問合せ - おといあわせ - questions, enquiries
ください - please

Okay, there’s a special collection box in the City Hall and in every City Hall branch office, as well as at some citizen centres. For more details please inquire at the rubbish disposal department (at City Hall).

Phew, that actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. But still, all the same, good thing I don’t actually have an electronic dictionary!

Day six

Well, I don’t mind my friends eating chopped up dead birds when they come round to my flat, but as a veggie (lifelong vegetarian, trying hard to be as vegan as possible for the last few years), I know I’ll have to get my own food in rather than rely on the KFC menu! Still, let’s have a look, what have we got:

ポテトBOX - 690円
ビスケット3コ - 720円
コールスローM3コ - 870円

No, not a chance, especially at those prices! For half the money I can get really good frozen chips and some really good fake meat nuggets and burgers and things (I’m definitely a ‘junk food veggie’) from nearby supermarkets such as Ito-yokado, Seiyu, and Co-op. There’s much more veggie stuff now than there was 10 years ago, and it keeps getting better. So yes, I’ll just cook for myself!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Day seven

It’s Christmas Day, the best day of the year, and not a day for studying Japanese or chucking out my friends’ rubbish! I’ll wash the trays, bento boxes, and cans and deal with them all another day. The bike can sit there until I can be bothered to sort it out! One thing is for sure, these so-called ‘friends’ of mine, with their KFC and broken bikes, are not being invited over again next year!

Having a day off today!

Happy Christmas everyone!
:christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Back at it again!

Day 1

Burnables are collected every Monday and Thursday. Get 'em out before 8am!

And you need to specifically use yellow bags, it seems! Before I came here, I read a whole bunch about the garbage situation, and so I came well and truly prepared to buy separate bags for every occasion. Then I got to my ward in Yokohama (not sure if it’s the same for others), and they just basically went “Eh, whatever. Just bung it all in clear plastic bags. It’ll do”.

Day 2

Categories 1-6, and an extra bonus of 9! Don’t forget the string for your cardboard/paper/fabric stuff, and the clear bags for everything else!

Day 3

Get those bottles washed, squished, and pop off those caps and labels! Get 'em in a clear (or clearish) bag, and wait patiently for the 27th. (Mine go every Thursday, thank god. And they’re right in with the cans and bottles, too! I don’t think much recycling can be happening here in Yokohama…)

Day 4

Wrap that knife and those broken plates up! That cardboard paper stuff should do the trick. Then, put your little danger package into the designated bag, and wait until 4th January, when those non-burnables get collected next.

As for the spray paint, just pop it in a clear plastic bag and pop it out on the 27th. Make sure it’s all gone though!

Day 5

Get thee to City Hall or your local branch office, I guess?! Bit of a ballache, haha. Makes sense though, I guess. You can’t afford to be too careful with electronic stuff.

Damn, the people of Mito are meticulous about their garbage!

4 Likes

I’ll participate, but I’ll give advice, since this is my city and I know this stuff like the back of my hand.

Day 1

Many people have said that the rubbish is collected on Mondays and Thursdays at 8am, or before 8am. Whilst you have the day right, 8am is not the collection time, but the time your bags need to be out by. We have the AM slot, so they could be collected any time up to lunchtime. The earliest possible collection time is 8am, hence why they should be out by that time to guarantee collection.

Day 2

Today it’s plastic, in a transparent bag, cans and glass bottles together in a transparent bag, and cardboard, paper, cartons and fabrics bundled separately with string.
Edit: a few of you have missed the plastic collection, which is every Tuesday (apart from 2 or 3 times a year when there’s a fifth Tuesday in the month). This is a super important one so don’t forget!

5 Likes
Day 1

Burnable garbage is collected twice weekly, on Mondays and Thursdays, by 8 a.m.

BONUS: Non-burnable garbage is collected twice monthly, on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, by 8 a.m.

Day 2

Today is the third Tuesday of the month (毎月1回目と3回目の火曜日) so they will be collecting categories 1-6, which are newspapers (新聞紙), cardboard (ダンボール), other paper goods (ほかの紙類), cartons (紙パック), cloth items (布類), and cans/bottles (瓶類・缶類).

*Cartons or cloth items should not be put out if it is raining.

Day 3

Pocari Sweat comes in Plastic/PET bottles, which is Category 7. They must be put in transparent or half/semi-transparent bag where the contents can be seen. You should not use the city designated trash bags.

Pickup for categories 7-8 is on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month (毎月2回目と4回目の火曜日). Yesterday was the second Tuesday of the month, so the next pickup will be on Tuesday, December 27. Make sure to put the trash out by 8 a.m.

Day 4

Knives and broken plates are category 12, non-burnable garbage (燃えないゴミ) and are items that can be bagged (袋に入るもの). They should be wrapped in thick paper or cardboard and put into the designated blue garbage bags. Non-burnable garbage is collected twice monthly, on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, by 8 a.m. Since it is December 22, the first and third Wednesdays have passed, and the next one is January 4, 2023.

Empty cans of spray paint are category 15, harmful garbage (有害ごみ) and are spray cans/cassette cylinders/gas lighters. They should be put in transparent or half/semi-transparent bag where the contents can be seen. You should not use the city designated trash bags. The contents of spray cans and cassette cylinders should be used up (使い切ってください) and there is no need to put holes in them (穴開けは不要です). Harmful trash is collected on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month, by 8 a.m. Since it is December 22, the next time harmful trash will be picked up is the fourth Tuesday of December, which is December 27.

Day 5

Section 10 shows how to dispose of the designated 14 types of small electronics ( 小型象電), which includes electronic dictionaries (電子辞書). Please do not put in anything that isn’t on the list.

The other 13 items are: cell phones (携帯電話), smart phones (スマートフォン), tablet-type terminals (タブレット型端末), personal organizers (電子手帳), external hard drives (外付けハードディスクドライブ), portable music players (携帯音楽プレーヤ), video cameras (ビデオルカメラ), digital cameras (デジタルカメラ), hand-held games (携帯ゲーム), portable car navigation/GPS (携帯型カーナビ), voice recorders (ICレコーダー), electric cords (電気コード), and AC adaptors (ACアダプター).

These items must be taken to collection centers that can be found at City Hall, branch offices in Akatsuka and Tsunezumi, and some civic centers, and placed in the designated collection box (専用回収ボックス). For more details you should contact the garbage collection service.

Day 6

I don’t eat fast food, so I thought I’d be creative and say that in Japanese while suggesting other options. And I put the (intended) translation below under spoiler tags in case anyone wants to practice.

ファストフードはとてもまずいので、絶対に食べません。代わりに他のレストランから持ち帰ったらどうでしょうか?それとも家で食事を料理しましょう。フレンチトーストカッセロールが好き人がいますか?僕が明日の朝ごはんに作ろうと思っている!皆、僕のうちに遊びに来られるの招待をあげます。一緒に食べてゲームを一日中できます!

メーリークリスマス皆!そしてあけましておめでとう!

Translation

Fast food is totally disgusting so I never ever eat it. What about getting takeout from another restaurant instead? Or let’s cook a meal at home. Anyone here like French Toast Casserole? I’m thinking of making it for breakfast tomorrow! Everyone is invited to my place! We can eat together and play games all day!

Merry Christmas everyone! And Happy New Year!

Day 7

Cans and bottles (瓶類・缶類) are Category 6, so they won’t be collected until January 3 (毎月1回目と3回目の火曜日). The bento boxes and sashimi trays are category 9, which are picked up every Tuesday, so they will be collected on January 3 as well.

The bicycle is category 12, but can’t be put in a bag (袋に入らないもの). For items in this category that are 1m x 50cm x 50cm (about 40 x 20 x 20 inches if you’re American and don’t use metric) you should place a blue processing sticker on it where it can easily be seen. These are also collected on the first and third Tuesdays of the month, so they will also be collected on January 3 (毎月1回目と3回目の火曜日).

I want to say I’m really grateful for everyone working to put these threads together—it’s really a great way to practice reading and comprehension (and I’m really enjoying seeing that I actually CAN read).

That said, I would like to make a request for next week. I am having a lot of difficulty reading this week’s material. I’m not as young as I used to be and it’s really tough for me to read small point sizes—even while wearing progressive lenses. Zooming in has helped, but the more detailed kanji are still indecipherable. (In most cases I was able to figure them out either contextually or by trying out similar kanji until I got a word that made sense.) Can we please try to use signs that with larger font sizes so that they can be read more easily?

I had a question about the 袋に入らないもの section of the leaflet. (I'm trying to write this so that it doesn't spoil anything for anyone else, so I'm sorry if it's not very clear.)

The first bullet point explains what you should do with these items, but I’m not sure I’m correctly interpreting the red bullet point below it (透明な袋やダンボールなどにゴミを入れ、ゴミ処理券を貼って出すことはできません). I think it’s saying that for items that can be put in a 透明な袋 or ダンボール, you should not 処理券を貼って出す? I understand the second part of the sentence, but I think I’m missing some nuance in the first part.

4 Likes

Thanks Matt for taking the time to provide the extra context. I have adjusted the question for clarity.

If you don’t mind I will also link this post to the Sample Answers post, so people that come across this thread later will be able to find the advice you have provided more easily.

2 Likes

Daily answers:

Day 1

Every Monday and Thursday by 8am.

Day 2

A bit of a leap of faith here… but as this is the 3rd week of the month, is it categories 1~6 (all of A)?
[Edit: missed the から meaning that category 9 would also be included in this range of weeks!]

Day 3

I think you need to wait nearly another whole week, until 27th, as this is the 4th Tuesday of the month.
[Edit: missed that we were also looking out for how to prepare them! This is a bit tricky for me… I think we need to wash them out and separate the plastic cap and label (leaving the ring on is OK?).]

Very late catching-up on the rest of this, as life got in the way in the meantime… but here goes!

Day 4

The knife and broken plates go out on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month, so the next one would be 4th January. I’m not sure how to prepare them :confused: - wrap in paper??
Spray cans go out on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, so next would be 27th December. The picture helps me cheat a bit and assume they go in clear plastic bags - not the city ones.

Day 5

I think this would count as a small household electrical good and be in category 10. I think I have to put such things in a box and take them somewhere - but it’s well beyond my comprehension level without resorting to outside aids!

Day 6

I think I’ll just pop down to Family Mart and get a チーズカレーまん.

Day 7

The trays and boxes probably fall into category 9 and the cans will be category 6. It looks like the bike would fall into the eclectic category 12! Double-checking the schedule for that tells me it is the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. On that basis, the bike needs to go out on 4th January.

4 Likes

Thank you for this. I live in Mito and couldn’t find the schedule.

4 Likes

I’m just bumping this thread up because I just can’t believe more people aren’t involved!

4 Likes

Considering the number of people who voted saying “yes” to them participating this week, I think some people are choosing to just do it from the sidelines (at least I am). I’m still checking every day but I’m just working it out in my head without posting. I’m really enjoying this so I’m hoping it’ll continue (despite the lack of participation posts).

4 Likes

I’ve been super snowed under with work - last week before the winter vacation, so the schools have been crazy. I have a lot to catch up on!

4 Likes

Great stuff! Good to know! I guess you’re right and more people are still doing it, but without posting. Thanks so much!

Good luck! Hope you get a break over the holidays!

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback

Very happy to hear this, one of the main outcomes I was hoping for with this activity.

Sorry about this, I felt the font size on the leaflet was a bit small too. The signs planned for the next four weeks are all meant to be readable a bit further away so the font size should be better.

You have probably already done this but I have found that downloading the file allows me to zoom much further in. The kanjis do become blurry though but working out what the kanjis are from context could be part of the “fun”.

3 Likes

I reached Level 60 in WaniKani a few months ago and have been trying to finish up the last items. I used to get 80 and 90% every day and then all of a sudden it was 60 and 70 every day. I was feeling really bad about it, but being able to do this makes it feel like I’m getting somewhere. So does being able to read all or most of the practice sentences on BunPro.

Wow four weeks worth! That’s going to be a lot of good practice. It feels so constructive to me because signs are something that will be encountered in daily life.

I did download and zoom in and it does help a little bit. And you’re 100% right about working out what the kanji are from context—it IS fun and also sort of the reverse of mistaking one kanji for another. I realized this morning that my computer automatically tries to OCR the text, so sometimes you can select it and paste it somewhere.

4 Likes