Information in the Wild Week 3: A Stroll around the Neighbourhood

Today it was Google Translate. And tomorrow it will be a little less, and the next day even less than that until it’s all you.

Yep! ¥1 is about 76¢. Today, anyway. This week it’s been fluctuating between 74¢ and 76¢ according to Google.

Happy new year to you too!

3 Likes

I think you can look at it in a couple of ways.

1. You can treat it as “Business language” or indirect language used for addressing a large number of people. A similar example would be 「喫煙はご遠慮ください」in the day 2 post which really means smoking is prohibited but phrased in a more gentle way.

2. You can treat it as lip service. In English, an employee may reject someone’s request by saying “I would love to if I could, but…”, even if they would not have necessarily wanted to whether there was a reason or not.

2 Likes

How do you get the google translate to read the handwritten test? I always type it in. Do you take a screenshot?

1 Like

I can usually read enough to be able to type it in on my own, but in the instances I can’t, I can sometimes select the text right off the image in Preview (on Mac OSX). Needless to say it’s far less accurate with handwritten text.

4 Likes

Thanks. I will try it!

3 Likes

I was away and missed this week, so am going to give my very brief answers all in one go. Also, a lot of this was waaaay beyond my kanji understanding level… so I did my best with rough working!

Day 1

Be aware of people stepping out and lower our speed.

Day 2

I don’t know enough of the kanji to decipher this one. (And I’ve decided my approach to these challenges is to try to do them as if I were encountering them “in the wild” without any support!)

Day 3
  1. It looks like this is an ad for an “indoor golf school”.
  2. You get “all you can learn”, including being able to come every day and some other points I can’t quite interpret… Plus “all you can use” for their original swing equipment?!
  3. Are these manned reception hours? 14:00-22:00 on weekdays (well, except Tuesdays and Fridays) and 09:00-19:00 on weekends and holidays.
Day 4

Don’t let go of the cart when a child is riding in it. I’m not sure of the other points, but I think the last might be about returning it to the right place after use.

Day 5

A place for keeping bikes for an hour?
Outside of business hours (before the store opens and after it closes)… something about not leaving for long periods of time if you’re not shopping??

Day 6

Somewhere for storage? [Edit: nope - completely wrong there!]
Not a chance on the other questions! :sweat_smile:

Day 7

Don’t leave our bicycles or motorbikes here unless we’re one of the designated types of people.

4 Likes

I’ve tried a few approaches over the past few weeks, and I think that is my favourite!

3 Likes

I have been very impressed by the detailed explanations you have given showing your working! :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you very much, you’re very kind!

2 Likes