Kana, GoKana, new Onboarding & more!

You are correct, and the reasoning for that comes from the kanji from which the character originates.

2 Likes

PSIMM whoever you are, I am coming for you :smirk_cat:

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out! That is indeed incorrect. It should be like this

We will get it changed.

2 Likes

Only during Onboarding so far!
But true that it is a good metric outside of Onboarding too.

2 Likes

I got home to realize that my personal laptop had croaked and I don’t have the money to repair it T_T

Fortunately, after much tinkering, I have defeated that infernal filter once and for all.

2 Likes

Something happened when I spammed the enter key to hard… :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes

Will get it fixed now.
PLEASE NO ONE COPY RAMEN_JP

EDIT: Fixed!
All duplicates removed from the DB too.
May the true champion will emerge.

3 Likes

To be honest even at almost N2 level in bunpro and learning for 9 months, I think this is a nice addition.

I learnt for example than instead of doing “teli” for ティ, i could to “thi”

So for all the keystroke my “e” and “l” will get, thank you ! (And sorry “h”, you’ll have extra work now)

Also like the sheets to practice writing kanas. I mean I learn japanese almost exclusively on keyboard/computer, so being able to have some sheets to train writing is nice ! Would love to see those for Kanjis at some point, but I guess it would require a lot of work, so no worries :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The tour was definitely a sorely needed thing on this website. I’m a relatively new user and I spent my first… two weeks not understanding how to use this website. I thought it was basically a textbook for studying grammar. I just read a page, marked it as mastered and went back to the dashboard to see my next lesson. I never even noticed the arrows for “next” on the bottom of the page and had no idea this website did SRS lessons. Glad you’ve improved this and hopefully it will help new people here understand a bit more of how this website works. That said, after reading a review of the website and learning about what it really does, I love it here.

4 Likes

Seems like a great add! Everything is really slick and well-integrated. I have no problems with it being part of bunpro.

GoKana in particular is a lot of fun. I know there are other resources out there, but in terms of quickly drilling or refreshing memory on kana, this already seems like one of the best.

2 Likes

Remember that you can always re-access the tours through the links in the FAQ!
And we’re here to help if you have any questions. Happy studying! :bunprogold:

3 Likes

Hmm something feels off on this screenshot…

(hiragana+katakana monograph only)
compare with

2 Likes

Hi :wave:

3 Likes

Fun mini-game! I don’t know how “standard” those are, but I also encountered some diacritics and digraphs that seem specific to katakanas, like ヴ, ティ and such. Would it make sense to include them in gokana too?

1 Like