Kindle + Japanese Amazon account. Reading through a light novel for the first time

You can try if it’s the address, get a Tenso forwarding address, and you should be able to bypass it. But from my experience it’s not only based solely on the billing address sadly.

2 Likes

I’ve only got an aging kindle, so was going to try to use the windows app, but that picked up my uk based account

Personally, I use Tenso, a forwarding service which provides you with a fake (but not illegal) Japanese address for free. I use a separate amazon JP account attached to a dedicated e-mail address and login to my Kindle app with that account while always using a VPN. I have purchased somewhere in the realm of 50 digital books so far without an issue. (I cross my fingers everyday that this does not change as reading manga and LNs in Japanese is my main hobby. :frowning: )

I maintain a separate account for purchasing physical books and such as well.

Edit: Megumin beat me to it. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

thanks will try this later, figuring out how to use koohi to throw me a light novel that it super easy with my awesome WK lvl vocab

1 Like

*cough level 5 (though was at lvl 10 last year)

These are all excellent tips if you are creating a new account or if your account is not flagged yet. Sadly it’s too late for my account and I’m not sure when it will go back to normal. Last time it took 2 years… and I know friends that have been in a similar position.

But yeah basically good practices would be:

• Keep different email address than your main Amazon account. Even if they have different accountings, they can still associate the email internally.
  • Use a Tenso or any other forwarding Japanese address.
  • Try to use an international card instead of something that it’s easier to track which country comes from, like a Revolut or a Transferwise card or something similar.
  • Use VPN to initiate the purchases.
2 Likes

I was at around lvl 20 in WK and I ended up resetting it. If you are struggling with the LNs you might want to go for Manga until you are more confident on your vocabulary. You can also use Kohii for that.

I find out that they are a good stepping stone. LNs can be overwhelming, as you see you are barely progressing if you are only able to read 1-2 pages because your head starts to hurt, while the manga is more on the light side.

2 Likes

I found 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグ to be a pretty easy read compared to some other LNs. (Sword Art Online and Danmachi (among some others) were much harder by comparison).

Depending on your current reading level, there may not be such a thing as a “super easy” LN. Don’t worry too much about it. Just throw yourself in and see how it goes.

2 Likes

By no means can you find every title available on Amazon JP with a US Kindle account. I tried looking for a few very popular LN series: Sword Art Online, Re:Zero, and Goblin Slayer, and not one of them was available.

Obviously this will be insufficient for many non-Japanese readers who want to read Japanese books (Note: These are the “you people” you referred to).

3 Likes

And then there’s the censoring concerns, like the No Game No Life light novel removals… they only remained up in the AmazonJP store.

2 Likes

Thank you. You have truly given me an insight into your people. :bowing_man:

2 Likes

It’s what I’m here for. I created a Bunpro account not to learn grammar, but solely to defend the ranks of non-native Japanese e-book readers across the world. Thank you for recognizing my efforts today. :v:

3 Likes

I use my Kindle and the Kindle app to read Japanese stuff all the time, but unfortunately I am based in Japan so can purchase easily, but even so I use a non-Japanese card to pay for Amazon most of the time.

Maybe people will disagree with me but I found Murakami Haruki extremely easy to read. His grammar and writing style is easy to understand and very western. Actually I have met a lot of Japanese people who don’t like his writing style because of this, and feel he doesn’t deserve the Nobel Prize for Literature like many non-Japanese believe he should win someday! Of course they will celebrate him like a national hero just as they did Ishiguro Kazuo if he does - haha. I read ねじまき鳥クロニクル before I had passed N2 for reference, but I have read that one in English too.

That might also be a good gateway. I mean, reading something you have already read and enjoyed in your native language. For me it was interesting to see how 1984 got translated to Japanese.

Otherwise, I have tried to more read difficult stuff like Edogawa Ranpo but failed pretty miserably.

I think Dragon Ball is one of the best manga to read if you want something simple and enjoyable to read. Great story, great characters and easy-ish vocabulary to pick up and get used to.

1 Like