Major Update - Hints! (31st-July-2022)

Thank you so much! I’ve been in synonym hell for the past year.

3 Likes

And because we’re never satisfied, how about something that just merely says “tense” or “conjugation”?

Sometimes early on learning it’s enough to be able to remember the grammar point and then instead of being rewarded for the right construct you get penalized for not putting it in past tense.

I think it would also help people if they have to retype it.

6 Likes

@larrydeluca this part will be to combat things like that directly. Once all of the new hints are in, we will be going through the rest of the possible answers (conjugations/tense/politeness/etc) and writing a single, easy to understand default hint for all of those as well, so that what is required is always obvious.

6 Likes

Now we just need something like Bunpro for other languages!
This app was incredibly helpful for my journey and i hope it continues to be part of my daily routine for many more years

7 Likes

Great idea, especially love the differentiation between “wrong grammar point” and “correct grammar point, wrong politeness level” :slight_smile:

Quick question, although im not there yet: I’ve heard tales about the honorifics starting from N4 (currently still at N5). As far as my beginner brain (that has not yet made contact with these points) understands, honorifics are something different from just “politeness levels” and more about the lowering of the “self part” and elevating of the “other part”. Will this be covered by the system in some way, too? Thank you for your hard work!

5 Likes

This has been covered, all of those hints have been written in a way that covers what typo of polite speech it is (sonkeigo or kenjougo), and also where it will most commonly be used. Hopefully this will make differentiating between those points much easier when you reach them :blush:

5 Likes

When I go through a few synonyms it sometimes makes me doubt my knowledge of those points, too, so I end up looking those up to make sure I they mean what I think they mean.
I think this will be a great update. Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

I like this system on paper, I’ll try to observe how it works for me over time. Hopefully it will untangle the synonym spaghetti that lives in my head and will stop me from just trying every grammar point I know until one works or I just memorize the sentence.

After you spend some time learning, distinguishing nuance between similar grammar points starts to become important to you, but also starts being a source of frustration. A big thank you to the whole team for addressing the issue!

10 Likes

Synonym spaghetti may be my new favorite term :ok_hand:.

9 Likes

This is really great!
Should help a lot with learning differences between similar grammar points.
The next step that I would wish for is pages for visual comparisons of grammar points, e.g. as a graph or table.

4 Likes

This is definitely a game changer, good job BunPro Team!

4 Likes

Just wanna say that this has been a great improvement of my experience of bunpro. In the past, the previous state of the hints had been one of the largest factors that made me reticent to suggest bunpro to people. Lots of times it felt like you were gaming or cheesing the system. So thank you for the update and good job guys!

5 Likes

Thanks for all of the overwhelmingly positive feedback everyone! All of the kind words and suggestions to make the new system even better are great motivators for the content team to keep pushing the boundaries of what Bunpro could be, and evolve it in a way that completely blows the socks off of conventional language learning barriers/difficulties.

You all have no idea how many times we reread these comments when we’re looking for a bit of a pep up on a slow day :blush:.

8 Likes

I think it would be amazing to have the hints/nuance notes be given up front somewhere (such as the main explanation page for each point related to the note) so that we can compare and contrast grammar points at will, rather than only being able to do this by inputting similar grammar patterns and hoping a hint pops up (what I often do)…

For instance, it would be great to have the comparison between 却って and 寧ろ be on the explanation page for 却って. Maybe like a quick index of all the hints you can get for putting similar grammar points to 却って (including 寧ろ). IDK, I would just love to have these quick and easy contrasts accessible outside of reviews.

6 Likes

I agree with this 100%. Apart from it giving a little bit of extra detail about the nuance, it will prepare people for the type of hint they are going to recieve for that particular grammar point, so that there are no surprises later on. Some kind of system for doing quick contrasts between synonymous grammar points would be cool too!

I will have a bit of a think about how we could potentially bake something like that into the main grammar page. :thinking:

7 Likes

It’s already improved!! Thank you for all your hard work!

3 Likes