My log of a stupid idea of pure self abuse

Ooooh, they have quite the library! Just spent the last five or so minutes browsing. I wasn’t planning on adding any more SRS workload pre-emptively anymore (only once I encounter something), but seeing as this would be highly targeted… Might consider it. Thanks for pointing this site out!

2 Likes

No problemo! Yeah, I need to spend more time on the site myself but it seems to have a lot of cool features. I know some people like to load up words before seeing them in a novel (so they don’t struggle) vs just seeing it organically, so it’s always nice to have that choice for either or.

4 Likes

Wow, this really makes me wanna get off my lazy butt and read some more, haha. I wish you the best of luck with this goal! Definitely keep checking back in with your progress. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@mathijsdm It’s been almost 7 days since that counter moved up. Just saying.

5 Likes

Haha, There, updated ^^ I’ve been reading one volume per day, but I was only planning on updating once a week or so. I’ll try my best to log it more dilligently from now on :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Wow, that is impressive! I am soon-to-be-N5 and reading manga verryy slowly, like 10 easy pages per day. I also don’t understand it all, but I try my best:). Well, haha, I think I will start with 100 books challenge:).

7 Likes

Neat, at that pace only 993 days to go!

I’ve been reading the Tsubasa Bunko novel I selected, but it’s quite plain, cliche and sorta boring, so it’s going slowly. Positive side is I’m almost understanding everything

2 Likes

Hey, that’s already a really good pace! When I started out even one page a day was pushing it! You’ve got this!!!

Snails pace is still a pace :stuck_out_tongue: Though I will probably speed up on manga at least on the weekends, week days one volume is all I can manage mentally :sweat_smile: Books will take me a lot longer though, don’t think I can finish one (even an easy one) in a day :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s fantastic to hear! Would you mind saying which title? I hadn’t heard about Tsubasa bunko before, but a quick Google made me quite interested, might pick up some (should see if I can get them on bookwalker, imports take a looooong time since corona --’ )

3 Likes

The one I’m currently reading is Hoshi ni Negai wo!

I’ve added them to my Book Meter profile.

It also seems to be the less popular of the 4 I bought. Not sure if I’ll try Kaitou Red after or if I hate myself enough go for Haruhi.

2 Likes

Keep up the good work!! The beginning is really tough as you have no idea what you’re reading is proper or not, unless you always have the ENG-translated manga side-by-side. I would highly recommend utilizing wanikani’s book club function as they have beginner manga where people constantly ask questions, probably some of the same questions you have!

Plus, I just checked and the beginner manga they’re currently reading was a REALLY fun read in English.

5 Likes

That moment when you read three volumes because you want to finish up a series by the end of the weekend and then discover that two more volumes have been released since you last bought some :sob:

4 Likes

Ahahahah something similar happened to me in a net cafe, when I was covering from the rain in Shibuya.

I was like “Wait, this series that got animated in 9 short episodes of 13 minutes has 16 volumes?”

The series in question

Rec (manga) - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Hahaha, I can imagine :joy:

Would you give rec your recommendation? Always looking for more stuff to add to my list!

1 Like

The anime was good, take in mind it’s a bit of a roller coaster though. I have the physical manga still on the backlog, it’s on the hard side for my taste. I’ll probably start with Nagasarete Airantou when I feel a bit more confident first.

And yes they have markings of a Netcafe, but hear me out. Used books in Japan are dirt cheap.
If you ever go and have an extra bag like I did, fill the bag with books. The 16 books cost me 7€

3 Likes

Wait wut? Damn, I think my cheapest (non-digital) single volume manga has cost me around that much :sweat_smile: Guess I should really buy some stuff in person in Japan instead of importing all the time… Would save me even with the price of the airfare :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I used to import them too, for example, I imported 44 used volumes of Hayate no Gotoku for 40€.

Some of them came with the first press bonus even! Cool stuff.
Shame the importing bridge died where I was getting it from.
Now the only way is only ordering online to a proxy and deal with customs, or buy them there and bring them over in your luggage.

2 Likes

Haha, damn. I already knew I was bad at finding deals, but seeing these prices :sweat_smile:

Oh well, might move my trip to Japan up to next year then, was planning on reaching at least N1 before going, but will really consider going earlier now!

2 Likes

You don’t need N1 to enjoy a casual trip to Japan!

In fact, on my first trip I was at 0 Japanese, only the exposure I had from Anime.

2 Likes

In general I agree, sadly my financial situation will only allow me to go once probably, so wanted to maximize the enjoyment. Oh well, things to consider :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, I plan to go sometime in the future again.

So if by chance we get to match dates we could hang out!
I had it planned for this winter, but is still closed since March 2020 for tourism. Sad times.

2 Likes