Number of Reviews

How many reviews do you generally do per day?
Sometimes I can get a lot of reviews (200+) and it always takes so much time for me to go through it. Rarely do I actually finish them, and it demotivates me to get to new grammar. In addition, I know I should be reading through the sentence, but I always end up just reading the English and just filling in the blank immediately, since it takes less time.
Anyone else have the same motivational issue, and how many reviews do you usually do per day?

4 Likes

My peak review was 80 (grammar) daily when i study for N3. I took 4 new lesson each day. Iā€™m doing review hourly up till now, so i donā€™t feel overwhelmed by it.
But only because i dedicate myself all day every day for japanese immersion.

As for anyone else, i didnā€™t recommend to take more than 1 or 2 new lesson if you donā€™t have much time, bcs it will definitely overwhelm you. Being said consistency of doing review while slowly grasp the understanding of each grammar is the most important than rushing it.

2 Likes

My average is around 30 reviews per day. I focus more on not missing a day and going slowly trying to complete the sentence without even looking at the English hint (hide English by default). If I canā€™t think of the whole sentence without looking at the hint only then do I peek at it. Due to this my Ghost count is extremely low and reviews are more about gaining insights rather than just the chore of doing them.

Also, I add 10-15 new grammar per week spread out sporadically between the 7 days depending on my mood. My slow addition of points synergizes well with my review style and I donā€™t get overwhelmed.

While adding new points I make sure to not read the top few examples because those are the ones that will show up in the reviews and I donā€™t want to plant them in my memory. Itā€™s imperative to understand the concept and not just pass the reviews through rot memorization.

As you can imagine this process is quite slow, but for me itā€™s perfect. Try experimenting with your studying methods and you will find what suits best for you.

3 Likes

Yeah 200 is probably going to burn anyone out. Back when I was adding 10 a week, my limit would always be about 100 reviews per 24 hours. Very rarely did I go over this number, but it would let me know that I need to take a week off because my ghosts are piling up and Iā€™m going too fast.

Sounds like youā€™d benefit from just doing reviews for about 2 weeks to let your large pile get down to a manageable level. At least now you know what pace does and doesnā€™t work though!

2 Likes

I have been doing 12 new grammar points daily and I seem to be getting around 100-120 daily reviews on average. Sometimes less. It seems that the reviews are dispersed throughout the day, so I try to check the website once every hour or two while Iā€™m working so that I can finish the couple of reviews that pop up before the next batch appears. If thereā€™s only a handful of reviews then I can finish them in just a few minutes, but if thereā€™s 80 or 100+ sitting in queue itā€™s of course going to take a while and make me want to beat my head against the table so I try not to let them pile up in order to avoid the feeling of hypothetically wanting to jump in front of the Yamanote Line.

My advice is to work it into your schedule as much as possible. I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is review vocabulary through Anki followed by knocking out whatever reviews are ready on Bunpro. I then do my 12 new grammar points for the day then start my day while checking the website periodically throughout the entirety of the day for reviews. If you can catch those 2 or 3 reviews as they initially pop up then it really only takes a minute or two each review session. The notification feature from the new mobile app has been helping with this as well.

1 Like

I did 10+ new grammar point a day for half the n5 level, i had 100-130 reviews. It was a lot but i knew most of them so it was easy/quick. I reduced slowly, and iā€™m now doing 5 to 15 reviews a day. If i do more, iā€™m not able to memorize them, so i know itā€™s my limit :wink:

I will increase the number of new grammar points per day when i have some free time to study and/or immerse myself, but for now 10-15 reviews a day is easy to manage and iā€™m not in too much pain if i have to miss a day (too much work, too tired at the end of the day, other priorities ā€¦)

1 Like

I normally try to do a few reviews in the morning and then later throughout the day (if possible).
Over the last 3 months or so my average is around 35ishā€¦ Some days, I would do 75+ reviewsā€¦ somedays 20ishā€¦(some days its just 7 haha)

When I was making notes and adding new grammar points, I just did 20ish reviews a day, sometimes 100 or soā€¦ I would add from 1 to 20ish grammar points per day for a few weeks and then nothing for a month or so depending on free time. Edit: It was not a good idea as my reviews for a long time were 1000+ (as I just did not do much :smiley: )

Probably a good method is to have a limit of daily reviews. Eg if the reviews are 50+, do not add new grammar points on that dayā€¦ that way things can be more manageable.

2 Likes

I think my answer to this depends on how fast you are going. You must be doing quite a few grammar points to have that many reviews. Maybe consider ā€˜unlearningā€™ some of the ones that you werenā€™t ready for, and focus on the ones you are able to read the sentences of.

I think the highest I ever had was around 100 a day, and I was going pretty fast. If you do 2 new grammar points a day, you will be into N1 within just one year, which is in itself an amazing feat.

Donā€™t rush, and donā€™t use the English unless you absolutely must. The only person youā€™re racing is yourself.

4 Likes

All of them, unless they come due while Iā€™m asleep.

2 Likes

i shamelessly copy/paste my own post to help you with your

I always end up just reading the English and just filling in the blank immediately

my solution:

right now the ā€œtype in the missing partā€ srs is more crippling than it truly helps in my opinion.
it would be best to be confronted with the full sentence and marked test grammar then just beeing asked ā€œunderstood YES/NOā€ perhaps key questions like ā€œis this formal form? is this casual form?ā€ the nuances and differences are things that should be picked up through natural mass exposure and right now with the blank/srs typing system it is just brute force memorizing. not efficient, unnatural and highly frustrating.

it was almost a breaktrough for me when i just stopped after a fail and read ALL the example sentences and listened to them. then the grammar has a chance to naturally sink in with a feeling for it.
i started a workaround by just failing every sentence to get it in its complete form from the beginning - noticing my attention instantly switching to trying to understand the sentence as a whole instead of filling the blank space. bunpros true treasure are the many structured example sentences. the typing form seems to be closer to production than comprehension anyway.

also turn off ghosts rather reset the whole grammar point. the goal is to assimilate the language not brute force memorize it. also when you reach frustration levels its getting dangerous to lose interest completely.

nowadays my rule of thumb is: no more new grammar points when i have more than 10 daily reviews.

good luck.

2 Likes

Honestly, I only do about 10-15 reviews each day. Whenever I feel that my reviews are becoming few and far between, I add 3 new lessons to the ā€œpileā€. If these new grammar points turn out to be super easy to understand I might add 3 more.

Doing it this way definitley will take way longer than most people would like to, I assume, but doing it this way gives me confidence that I can actually manage and reach my goals, although it will take longer. With this method I almost finished all N5 grammar points, but it never got tedious or felt like a chore to do.

I am learning vocab with anki and Kanji (and vocab) with WaniKani as well on a daily basis so it was very important to me that I keep a pace that will not burn me out on learning. Right now I spend about 2 hours each day learning japanese (most of the time actually goes to WaniKani tbh).

5 Likes

Before the decks, 5-6 per day, after de decks 200, but I added 25 cards each day until I catch up with the grammar lessons, after that I will slow down the progression speed, and within a month I hope I have less stuff to review each day

2 Likes

I try to do at least 2 batches of 10 reviews (I normally only do 10 reviews at a time) every day and only really worry about emptying the queue when Iā€™m feeling extra cool.
And if youā€™re wondering how often I add reviewsā€¦ itā€™s only about 3 - 6 new items per week.
Sometimes 0 but usually at least 3

But normally I also just reed the english grammar point, then I try to read the sentence. I normally get them wrong but Iā€™ve been getting closer a lot lately. But also I kinda donā€™t really care about learning the languageā€¦Iā€™m kinda just here yo

3 Likes

I try to average around 30ish a day. Sometimes itā€™s closer to 20, sometimes closer to 40. There was a streak of me doing over 100 a day but I deliberately cut back on that because it was doing my head in, haha.

In terms of adding new grammar, Iā€™d say I add about 6-10 a week. More when it comes to vocab. Iā€™m on my second go with N3 grammar right now, and trying not to repeat my previous mistake of liberal backspace usage, hence taking it much slower than before.

2 Likes

how do you remove grammar points or get it down to 15 a day? I am definitely overhwelmed with the 150+ reviews i keep getting

I stopped doing new reviews until it calmed down a bit.
If you do roughly 1.5 new grammar point a day, with 90% accuracy, you converge to 15 reviews per day :wink:

Simulations of reviews/new grammar point : Simulation of number of reviews per day over time - #2 by JCalandr