One year of Bunpro

Can’t say I agree with you there, friend. Nearly all the manga I read as a beginner was full-ruby and I didn’t have any trouble making the transition to stuff without it. In my experience the best thing is to minimize friction, and having to rely on radical search from the get-go sounds like making things unnecessarily difficult. There are lots of words I learned by seeing them with furigana, that I would easily recognize later, without. I actually barely use radical search at all anymore, interestingly enough, because if I see an unknown word I can almost always recall other words that contain the constituent kanji and look it up that way.

Honestly…you do you, but your credentials don’t impress me all that much. Just since the beginning of the year I’ve finished two text-heavy games and read two novels and…11? volumes of manga with little to no furigana at a quick tally (not including around 25 full-ruby volumes). 2.5 years is a long time to have read “several” of anything. Taken at face value, it would seem like my approach has served me better than yours has served you.

I feel very strongly that I wouldn’t be where I am today if I had insisted on learning without training wheels. In my view, using furigana helped me ramp up a lot more quickly, which allowed me to pack a lot more experience in a comparatively short amount of time. The first manga I ever tried to read had barely any furigana at all and it was borderline torturous looking up all those kanji just to pass the first page. Couldn’t be happier that I dropped it and moved on to easier stuff.

6 Likes