くらべてわかる日本語

The third book in the series is this one. It is a little different to the others in that it has less sentence examples, but farrrrr more detailed explanations.

It has no furigana, but in it’s defence it is targeted toward students that are already N2. It doesn’t use too many obscure kanji though at least, so it should be readable by a very confident N3 upwards.

It’s more of an almanac than anything else, it has an insane amount of grammar points with detailed explanations. I’m using it more as a reference book, rather than something to read all the way through like the others.

Here’s a sample -

It does have quite a few examples, but it doesn’t really hold your hand like the other books. It expects you to be able to see the nuance yourself. Still highly recommended!

2 Likes

Thanks, looks like a useful resource. Will pick these up.

2 Likes

Thanks @Asher, this resource is amazing! I bought it yesterday for my iPad and it’s a really nice read. Like you said, I even learnt some nuances that I didn’t even realise. How did you stumble upon this anyway?

2 Likes

I was blessed by the great Amazon algorithm and had it suggested to me hahah.

It was suggested to me after I purchased another book about onomatopoeia (also a great book but very difficult… Which is why I shelved it temporarily haha)

There really is lots of great nuance stuff in those books. I feel a lot more confident using some of the more tricky grammar points after reading it.

1 Like

The Dictionary of basic/interm/advanced does alot of breakdown and grammar point comparisons and nuances. Other than this one being in Japanese only, how does the content compare?

1 Like

Well, for me the fact that it is in Japanese was the biggest selling point. Because nothing is lost in translation. An incredible amount of information is usually lost in any translation, regardless of the skill of the translators. I know that those dictionaries had Japanese authors, but do those authors understand the nuance fully of the English that they are comparing the sentences to? If they don’t then they are going to miss lots of things. I have only read parts of one of those dictionaries (I own beginner and intermediate), but I stopped cause I didn’t like the excessive reliance on English.

When you don’t translate, you don’t end up creating unnatural situations mistakenly, you can focus on the language in it’s own environment. I guess this is a bad example, but it’s kinda the same as describing a lion when you have only ever seen one in a zoo. The fact that it is not in it’s natural environment means you are not seeing it for what it is.

Edit - I know that you specifically asked for -apart from that it’s in Japanese-, but I just wanted to highlight that this is really where the value is. Apart from that, it uses illustrations and situations to show the nuances. It also has a big focus on how saying the same thing in a slightly different way will effect how your conversation partner recieves the answer.

Example - You’re drinking with a Japanese friend and they suggest you try the whiskey they like. You reply with -
ビールだけ飲んでいます - They receive it negatively, because だけ implies that you know that you have other options, but think their choice is not good.
ビールしか飲まない - They receive it positively, because しかない implies that under normal circumstances you only drink beer, it’s not their suggestion that was bad.

1 Like

They may not necessarily be competing resources now that I look at it closer. The dictionary series is content heavy, expensive and ~1500 pages as a series. I read through the basic long ago and a great beginner resource that I can still reference while the blue and red books are definitely reference books, not read along page turners. Whether they lose nuance on English translation explanation or not, hard to say without taking a hard look though I don’t have specific examples. But my favorite sections are the alternate grammar examples along with pitfall examples like you have mentioned.

I do like mono-lingual grammar presented here which start becoming essential in the intermediate and above, I’d prefer translations in simpler Japanese whenever possible even if I’m slower to understand. Any redundancies are not lost either, I find it helpful for these more in-depth concepts. I’ll check it out more, thanks for the posting the resource and explanations!

1 Like

They explain even the more difficult grammar points in relatively simple Japanese, so it should be manageable without feeling too lost. The hardest book is volume 3 by far, but as I mentioned in the post with the samples from it, it’s more of an almanac than a page turner. Although even then it still doesn’t use super heavy linguistic terminology, which is great for a learner.

1 Like