私の好きな漢字

as a water-kanji-connoisseur (very prestigious IMO) can i get your thoughts on the following kanji:

i will be staring at my screen until you respond, ty in advance :weight_lifting_man:

1 Like

Indeed!

Very difficult topic xD I love most of them … They are really fun to study especially if we create stories :smiley:

I would say my favorite is a simple one, that is very relaxing.

• 休 Is like a human taking a small break to rest, our back against a tree
    IMG_3607

And of course the ones with silly stories :smiley:

• 安 “The only cheap way for me to relax is when my wife is under our roof doing everything”

• 妙 “There is only a few number of exquisite women”

• (I choose some soft stories, I have a lot of nsfw ones for kanjis with the bending man 𠂉 in 傷 for example)

2 Likes

I also like 協 quite a bit, I think it looks cool and is sort of figurative (cooperation is multiple “forces” working together.

2 Likes

淵, because of

3 Likes

If you like 死, you might like 屍. Also has a pretty morbid meaning (corpse), but I always thought it looked pretty cool.

3 Likes

not a favorite but I wanted to mention 泪 because it made me laugh the first time I looked it up

2 Likes

淵 is a great one, I really like it because it shares the same meaning as 縁, except 淵 is a vertical ‘brink’, and 縁 is a horizontal one.

3 Likes

It is indeed quite nice.

There is also , now mutiple “forces” threatening a heart. In the same line, I also quite like , two hearts falling in love with a thing.

それに, here come the triplets, for which I really do have a weakness:
, , , , , , , or . I’ve seen there are more, evening my beloved gets to be doubled () and even tripled, though I still go for the single majestic one.

5 Likes

Really nice one, . I see that the water radical has to do with the ‘deep water’ meaning. The stroke order is quite special, like for .

In the same vein, I also do quite like , that man standing on the edge of the mountain and yet…

2 Likes

I hope you’re still alive after all that staring :sweat_smile:

I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of the simplification of 龍 into 竜 in general, which also somewhat applies to 滝, but I do think that it has a distinct enough shape that makes it easy to remember and somehow even manages to look like a waterfall (but maybe that’s just me being weird, I dunno).

To be fair, my Japanese boss uses 滝 as his nickname and he’s a rather unique character, so that does influence my stance towards 滝…

2023-05-31T07:25:00Z EDIT: as explained by @Asher in his below reply, I seem to have gotten them mixed-up when replying to your question.

Regarding 淹, I can’t say that I have too strong feelings in either way towards it, but I like hot beverages such as coffee and tea, so there’s that going for it.

On a related note, I also like expressions that allude to water such as e.g. 水に流す、水の泡 or 焼け石に水 and so on. If you know a cool or rare one, feel free to always send them in my direction :swimming_man:

2 Likes

I totally forgot about that one when I wrote my reply to this thread…
Indeed a beautiful and unique 漢字.

2 Likes

Finally…I can close my eyes and sleep… :sleeping_bed:t2:

Solid analysis of the kanji though, I wouldn’t expect anything less from someone such as yourself. It being your boss’ nickname is icing on the cake hahaha.

3 Likes

淹れる is super common when used to refer to boiling a coffee etc. 滝 is the one that takes on the dragon shape for waterfall. They are both super similar. Which one was the one you meant initially? 淹 or 滝?

I like that 淹 uses 奄, which shares the reading of たちまち with quite a few other kanji that mean ‘in an instant’. It also reads as おおう, which is in at least 10 different kanji with the meaning of ‘to cover’. In the case of 淹れる I assume it’s in relation to the steam covering/shrouding the water.

2 Likes