として vs にしては in this review

I don’t see why にしては can’t work for in this sentence.
Considering it is the most difficult aspect of Japanese, it’s hard to find resources for studying grammar.
として doesn’t make sense to me here, can someone explain this to me?

2 Likes

Im in line, these grammar points are killing me.

5 Likes

I’m actually pretty confused here too - but for a bit of a different reason. I think として makes sense to me, if it’s that the sentence is trying to convey “It is hard to find a learning method (for grammar) as it is in the role of the hardest aspect of Japanese”. However, I don’t get where “for grammar” comes from (in both my English translation, and the translation given by Bunpro). I can make sense of all the other として examples, but this one is just really confusing. I have zero clue how 文法 is being linked to 学ぶ方法が because 文法 is marked with は

1 Like

The とする and にする structures are some of the hardest grammar points to master in Japanese, as they have so many different translations in English depending on how they are conjugated (にする, にして, にしては, にしても, etc). I would say that the easiest way to remember them is through the simplest structures that they appear in.

にする (indicates decision)
とする (indicates lack of decision)

No matter what sentence they appear in, this is kind of the key ‘nuance’ that you may want to keep in mind, as all of the translations are basically just the fault of English not having statements that are quite as broad in scope as these.

When として is used, it primarily indicates something that is just a fact about (A). It cannot be helped, it wasn’t chosen, it just is the way it is because of something external. にして (and its variations) focus more on the opinions or decisions being made based on (A), or what was done in regard to (A) ‘actively’.

End point: This is just my 2c based on all the books I have ever read. I still sometimes see curveballs that make me rethink my understanding of these.

Answer to your exact sentence:
として - For something that is (A) (based on a long history of it being decided that it is the way it is)
にしては - Considering that (A) (based on me making this on the spot judgement right now)

16 Likes

This is genuinely one of the best explanations, and a rather crucial realization. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

I think I understand, I’ll see if I do next time I review lol. Thanks man

1 Like