WaniKani + Bunpro +?

If you still want real life sentences with translations then you should start using NHK easy. There’s a subreddit where (usually) 1+ people post their translations to each article, it’s going to be so, so much more useful than isolated readings imo but any reading is good reading!

I suppose you could also take a look at WK’s book club threads if that’s up your alley since they discuss passages, grammar, etc.

1 Like

I Googled around a bit and most people seem to be saying for sure N5, and some portion of N4, but not completely. This is mostly answers from early 2020, so I’m not sure if that’s changed since.

My current combination of resources is:

• Genki utilizing the fantastic Genki Study Resources. If you’re looking for a solo study resource to replace Duolingo, I’d recommend it. When I’m finished with a lesson I put it in Bunpro. This is where my grammar and a decent chunk of vocabulary comes from. Also, reading practice I suppose.
  • Wani Kani for Kanji and Kanji based vocabulary. This is a resource I’ve been using for far longer than Genki, so it’s at the back end for my daily schedule as it’s far ahead of what I’m currently doing in Genki.
  • Speechling for listening practice. Nothing fancy, just listen to the random sentences on the beginner track for 30 minutes or so (for Genki 1). Has been pretty useful for getting an ear for the language.

I don’t do Anki anymore, these four alone can take several hours per day.

They debuted an SRS at the beginning of this month that I’ve been using for vocab that isn’t in WaniKani. It’s still rough around the edges but I’ve found it extremely useful. I was manually making my own Anki cards for months and this is much quicker. I just copy-paste the text that I want to learn vocab from and the site teases out every word and teaches them in batches of 20.

1 Like

I do Wanikani and Bunpro as well, and my third “study” is just immersion with something I find fun and engaging. This is usually watching anime with Japanese subtitles, and looking up vocab/grammar points as I encounter them. I don’t really try to go too deep in research or memorize anything. I’m just focusing on understanding each sentence and moving onto the next one, trying to get exposed to as much of the language as possible. If something is too hard I just move on.

I did try adding other decks or study resources like Genki or Lingodeer, or some other Anki deck, but it was making me burn out since I was just studying all the time and not really getting any practical time with the language. Currently WK + Bunpro are my priorities, but as I progress in them I can see myself spending more and more time with immersion until eventually that’s all I will be doing. And that’s partly the reason I wanted to learn Japanese in the first place :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use Torii (https://torii-srs.com/) and Kamesame (KameSame) to supplement WK and BP. Torii is for the 10,000 most common vocab and kamesame is like reverse wanikani to help you practice recognition (there’s also kaniwani which is the same concept).

Other than that, find a website or app to read. Beyond learning grammar, vocab, and kanji, it’s up to you until someone finds a way to “appify” reading. I use Satori Reader, Japanese.io, and NHK news easy.

http://duendecat.com/ - I use this to read random sentences on my second monitor. It goes off your completed WaniKani level and you can add furigana for anything you don’t know.

2 Likes