When to start Tobira?

I hope to be able to do similar thing in the future. Not my level yet :sob:

I had finished all of N3 before I even attempted Harry Potter. You can definitely do it, and you will get through it (while also looking up words and grammar structures etc), but it will be a snails pace. If we are talking time invested/benefits gained, I would wait unitl you have finished N3 (Even then I still struggled a bit).

This opinion is based purely on the time it would take you to translate each and every new word etc. I would say that the book itself is N2 level ( in terms of grammar), but there is lots of non-jlpt vocab in it.

4 Likes

Thank you, I do agree with that sentiment, although some strange masochism in myself makes me believe that making it harder now will make it feel easier later.

Going from Harry Potter to Clannad made me think that my pace is almost enjoyable by comparison. And let’s be real here: objectively I should have not been able to feel that way xD

And strange thing is that reasonable among of “pain” make it easier to remember stuff for me. As if my brain wanted to be out of that “pain” as soon as possible and did not try that hard as usually to make me not remembering things.

That is just strange quirk I have. I have no problem with other people feeling different about it. You do you, I do me :hugs:

Thank you for your input. I will try to process it :hugs:

2 Likes

I believe that you mentioned in another post that knowing the story already will help you to read faster and understand new words. I also agree with this. Knowing the story already will certainly help, and make reading a bit easier.

3 Likes

How did you learn most of the content the first time around?

You don’t mention if you have been using a textbook… I’d say if you finished Genki 2 then you are ready for Tobira and by “finishing” I mean reading: all the readings in the second half of the book and doing all the exercises in the book (specially the ones you have to write your own sentences)…