Why is it した?

Is the shi part of another word?

1 Like

した is the past tense of する. し being the root of the verb. Might be wrong tho im not good at explaining

2 Likes

Not sure I entirely understand what you’re question is but I’ll try my best.

the し is する, the past tense being した. 勉強 on it’s own is a noun, with する or をする it becomes a verb.

All of this is then modifying 生徒 - student - So with 勉強をした生徒 we have a student who studied. Then modified further by たくさん at the beginning making it a student who studied a lot.

2 Likes

Perhaps what your missing is that する is an irregular verb, so it doesn’t follow the standard conjugation patterns (same as 来る) as regular verbs.

Also, in the English translation below your example, the word “Studied” is in the Past tense, which means the conjugation of the verb する also needs to be in the past tense, thus you get した.

If you need to review or learn Japanese verb conjugations, then I recommend this thread that I made precisely to help people with this aspect of the language. The first video there teaches the basic conjugations, while the second video goes into the details of pretty much every possible conjugation. I think the only one Matt from Game Gengo missed was Verb (dictionary form)+な. Anyway, here’s the link to that thread:

HTH!

3 Likes