You know what Bunpro instills in me? Trust

Agreed! Keep up the good work. With the inclusion of vocab it’s a really great product.

8 Likes

What I love most about the people crafting Bunpro is that they show us again and again that they appreciate our feedback. Even to the point of humbly looking for positive ways to grow when every once in a while someone starts a very negative thread (thinking of one from last year).

But even apart from that, it is apparent that they want to make Bunpro better and that they value the ideas that come from us, the learners. Not only do they respond to good ideas posted on the forums, but I’ve been getting personal responses to bug reports I’ve been sending in for the Reviews 2.0 beta.

All that to say, it is a powerful thing to feel heard. And not only to feel heard, but to see the actual follow-through for the suggestions being made. It really encourages us to try to walk arm in arm with the staff to help make Bunpro the best tool that it can be.

Thank you Bunpro staff for the humble and helpful attitude that you bring to Bunpro!

14 Likes

A certain (magical) crabigator is kinda lazy and pricey. It’s useful, but damn you can subscribe to bunpro and crunchyroll for roughly the same price.

All in all Bunpro is just Top Tier and Continues to stay at the top with all the effort the lovely staff is putting in.

10 Likes

Genuinely the best resource for learning Japanese, imo.

I had already been learning vocabulary for around two years prior to getting an account here but never could make sense of the grammar or even the Japanese word order, even after trying different resources. I had already tried Bunpro but at the time it wasn’t what it was today and I stopped after the trial.
At the begging of the year I decided to give it another try and it was the best decision I made, and now with vocabulary and everything… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: The improvement in my Japanese has been immense.

As long as you guys keep updating the site, trying to improve and listening to the community as you have been, I’m more than happy to continue supporting your work!

7 Likes

Seriously. I had used it consistently for a year and then canceled around level 31 or so. They took away the old framework that just crashed tons of the add ons which made it actually useful. So they just took away all of the features without adding them in themselves so I canceled, way too clunky and slow without tons of plug-ins. I know some people had made new ones that would work without the old framework but they weren’t as good and they wouldn’t work with each other.

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree less.

Wanikani does one thing, and it does it well. I was not around when it used to do more than it does now, but I think that it was a good choice on their part to simplify, and let advanced features be handled by addons.

Teaching grammar is a much bigger reach than teaching kanji. It is good to be responsive to user requests when they allow you to improve on delivering on your mission, but the very real danger is mission creep, and not being able to do everything well that you try to.

I have decided to continue to use bunpro, but it could be so much more by doing less. I know which approach I prefer, and which will be more successful in the long run.

My 2¥

— Dave

14 Likes

I would suggest that this thread is better spent discussing Bunpro that other resources, I’m sure there are other threads for them.

7 Likes

I signed up to Bunpro fairly early, then I took a longer break from my studies in Japanese (I basically burned out) and when I was ready to return, Bunpro had taken big steps towards being a far better grammar resource and has helped me improve and stay motivated.
I never thought that there would be a grammar resource that I am able to stay interested and motivated with over a longer period, that has not been the case with other resources in the past.

The vocab decks are not something that I’ve used so far but as long as they don’t interfere with my grammar studies and the main focus continues to be on improving the grammar parts of the site, then I don’t mind them.

I can’t blame Bunpro for me rushing too fast and having to roll back to a lower level, that’s all on me. Now I’m trying to progress at a slower pace that works better for me. I’m still pretty bad at this but I’m continuing to take steps in the right direction.

6 Likes

You know what the green Owl instills in me? Fear

21 Likes

completely agree. it such a valuable resource, even in its infancy. everything from the updates, to the community interaction is top notch. so cheap for everything thats included too

5 Likes

it could be so much more by doing less. I know which approach I prefer, and which will be more successful in the long run.

Can you explain what you mean?

I half agree with @sesudesu, the old framework had such useful add-ons that you could utilise wanikani in different ways. now i still use it but considering i paid for a lifetime membership when i could use it how i want and now have that taken away is very disappointing.

3 Likes

I was not using wk before it was simplified (if that is what happened), so I can’t speak to the manner in which they withdrew those features. I can certainly imaging it feeling like a bait and switch if people paid for access to features that were withdrawn.

I don’t want to knock bunpro. I am getting my moneys worth from it, and plan to continue, though I am not yet in the lifetime member club.

What I am saying though, is that it seems to me that they have taken on the task of teaching Japanese grammar, which is hard enough. An app that did just that well would have more value (to me) than one which does that and more poorly.

YMMV

— Dave

5 Likes

yeah i understand what you’re saying. I dont use the vocab on bunpro too much so for me bunpro is more of a grammar/sentence reading practice. but i still think its nice to have there as supplementary, certainly fells good completing each deck.

3 Likes

also what does YMMV mean? :joy:

2 Likes

Your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

What features did wanikani have previously that they removed?

2 Likes

Don’t be dissing my boy Koichi :sob:

5 Likes

Yeah, we definitely shouldn’t be naming WaniKani, or shaming them by suggesting that there is no reason they shouldn’t expand the app to the 2500 most frequent kanji list, which would include Joyo and JLPT. And don’t mention the enormous amount of subscribers that would easily enable that simple spreadsheet addition.

4 Likes

Same!

Same!

Same!

Blimey, we share more than just a name!

4 Likes

You would have to ask @sesudesu

— Dave

3 Likes