5 Minutes for 6 Days every 7 days: A Log

Heyo everyone!

This post marks the beginning of an experiment in habit formation.
The goal is to complete at least five minutes of Bunpro six days a week.
This goal is renewable per week or however long one would want; one must define a time though, “I want to do this forever” is unrealistic.

I’ll be posting my review summary page as proof and hope that this can act as a sort of public accountability.

Please feel free to participate in the comments below!

If you have any suggestions, do let me know.

Cheers!

My Progress

2021 Week 28 – complete & all 240+ backlogged reviews have been vanquished
2021 Week 27 – complete
2021 Week 26 – complete
2021 Week 25 – complete

17 Likes

Day 2

Nearly forgot :joy:

6 Likes

Day 401: done

4 Likes

That’s literally so incredible!

本当にすごいですよ!
ヾ(≧▽≦*)o

Day 3: I forgot about transitive verb pairs, but だいじょうぶ~

5 Likes

2021 Week 26

Took Sunday off, and first thing in the morning is language study time~

3 Likes

:hot_face:

6 Likes

Lol

My Bunpro reviews reached 1000+ … Initially seeing my review numbers ( here, Anki etc) go so up was not fun :smiley: haha

Somehow I stopped caring for these things. In my case, its much more important to do something every day and to be consistent as possible. ​Part of the reason why this happened to me is because I just concentrated on reading more everyday and on studying new grammar for a year or so (and just enjoying Japanese), somewhat neglecting everything else in the process :smiley:

6 Likes

yes, all reviews are (good) practice. but still, i set ghost reviews to minimal a while back, it got too much for me. Now i’m enjoying the pace.

5 Likes

What’s the difference between normal ghosts and minimal? Honestly forgot that setting even existed

3 Likes

(edit: better answer below)
with minimal you get almost no ghost reviews, with the default setting you get dozens of them. at least that’s what it felt like. Can’t remember getting one recently.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

OK thank you for that link but also I’m not sure if it’s just late and my brain is fried from the heat but that thread made my brain hurt hahaha. So minimal is just basically if you ever get the grammar point wrong more than once you get ghost reviews? There’s an admin post in there that says wrong across multiple sessions so I just wanted to make sure but some people’s posts seem to imply that unless you get it wrong twice in one review session your grammar point will just go down a level and you’ll see it at the appropriate time.

half the fun of using bunpro at this point is the grammar itself and half the literal website and how it works :joy:

3 Likes

I think it’s just:
normal – if you get it wrong once, you trigger ghosts.
minimal – if you get it wrong twice or more, you trigger ghosts.

The other chatter (I think) is about how when you get something wrong, and you don’t use “oops” to fix it, BP puts that item at the back of your current stack of review items. If you get it wrong again, whether in your current session or the next session, you’ll trigger ghosts.

I know what you mean. :smile:

5 Likes

2021 Week 26
Technically missed Tuesday, but it’s midnight so ( ̄y▽, ̄)╭

@EdBunpro o( ̄▽ ̄)ブ
It’s even worse on Wanikani

and my Anki decks are collecting digital dust, for the most part.

I definitely agree with @zerohbeat that consistency and deliberate practice is more important than just review number stats.

My interest and time spent on Japanese has wildly fluctuated over the past couple of years, which is why I’m attempting this experiment on habit formation.

What’s different this time around is that I’m sorting my thoughts and emotions with paper and Notion;
and that I need something to focus on for leisure time which I don’t need to plan or schedule too much, just learn.

Page in progress looks like this.

3 Likes

Yeah, for me it was really freeing to stop caring about the numbers and just enjoy the whole process. In the long term, things will work out.

I am very sure that over time, considering how things are going, you can make learning Japanese a daily habit :+1: !

4 Likes

This probably sounds right! @Jake sorry to bother but is Fred’s post pretty much summing up how minimal/normal ghost reviews function? Might not be a bad idea to have the setting explained a tad more in the settings portal or have a link to the thread explaining it. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone~

2021 Week 26
Friday

I added three more reviews since I realized Bunpro added some things to N5.

And lol I’m still counting Thursday, July 1

3 Likes

Actually spat my drink out laughing at that picture of the 1 review from yesterday, especially with the 227 reviews looming :joy: Good work staying committed so far!

1 Like

2021 Week 26

Today’s no work day, and I was bored and I realized
「文プロを勉強しないと!」と思っていた

And also my review stats (I’m not trying to get streaks due to the unique constraints of this experiment)

And @EdBunpro , I’m glad it made you laugh( ̄y▽, ̄)╭
ぜったいに諦めないよ!がんばります~

6 Likes

2021 Week 27

どもども!

3 Likes