A little accountability post

Hello, all.
I pop in and out of here as my motivation waxes and wanes, but no one really knows me, so I will give a short introduction.

I am Sam, a 35 year old Englishman who started learning Japanese out of a need to refine aspects of myself that I regard as lacking. As an autistic person who cruised through language classes in the lowest set in secondary school (while universally residing in top sets otherwise), language and communication was, and perhaps is, an area to be refined.

I started studying Japanese a little under 5 years ago. I would say I have been ‘conversationally fluent’ for approximately 2 and a half of those years. When I say conversationally fluent, I regard this as being able to talk about anything in the normal scope of daily interactions., not flawless, natural sentences than would make an author jealous: just basic uninterrupted conversation. My current state is one where I can pass N2 with relative ease and largely handle N1 at a pass level outside of the dreaded reading section.

And that is where this post comes in:
When you can already say everything you want to with a relative level of accuracy, what does one even do to push on and motivate? Make a post on a forum where one will detail their daily progress, of course.

My goals for the next 6 months:
• Convert the entirety of the shinkanzen master n1 vocabulary book (2200重要) to flashcards, creating 2-3 native checked sentences for each word.
• Complete my bilingual travel guide/memoir
• Finish a novel instead of quitting at 25-75%
• Fix my bunpro and anki backlog in a sustainable manner.
• Engage in some textbook based keigo studies (3 months). Deploy said keigo with my mouth-hole regularly (3 months).
• Shadow at least once a week.

But what about conversation? I already do that, so I do not feel the need to set myself up for failure by forcing a set duration or style.

My ultimate goal is to actually FEEL some improvement over these 6 months.

Please feel free to pop in and definitely let me have it if I haven’t posted for a day or 2. I will try to add useful things I discover along the way to make it worth your while. Thank you.

12 Likes

Today, I formatted my anki deck to treat 2022 words differently to those learnt in this current spate of motivation. As I have a backlog and they are largely known words, I have limited myself to 50 reviews of these 1500 per day to facilitate focus on the new vocabulary.

Opening bunpro was also an important step as it has provided structure and motivation over the years.

Here is a piece of writing I produced (admittedly yesterday, but I intend to post daily, so I guess today’s will go up tomorrow):

Writing time (20 minutes)
Native checked: Yes

犬について
犬はペットだけではない。家族だけでもない。イギリス人にとって、犬は社交的なことを上手く続けるための潤滑剤でもある。イングランドでは内向的なやつでも、犬を目にすると、一時的にも社交的になる。犬が居なかったら、イギリスでも引きこもりという社会的な問題がより一層きつくなると思う。

なぜそうなるのか?なぜ小さな毛のある生き物のせいで、人が気楽に話しかけられるようになるのか?心理学者ではないことを許してもらいながら、俺の意見を表現しようとする。今の時代、隠居老人以外は急いでいて、急いでいなくとも、イヤホンを付けながら、自分の小さい世界に居住している。気を使いすぎて、他人をその異世界から引っ張り出したくない。が、ペットのいる方には、一つの確かな物があり、それは常にペットについて話したがっているということだ。ワンちゃんがいるだけで、「今、忙しくて話す余裕がないです」と言われる恐怖がまるで溶けるかのように消える。犬のいることは、オーナーが今暇という情報を放送してくれる。

今の信じられないほど忙しい時代において、俺らが遭遇することができる魔法に近いものだと俺は思う。ただ存在するだけで、言語も殆ど知らず、会話を生み出す。不思議なものでなくてなんだろうか?

From now, I will write today’s piece and create my first sentences/cards.

If anyone needs any help or a study buddy, let me know!

7 Likes

Your writing feels really good. I have been “studying” Japanese for over 6 years now, but probably more than half of that time was spent on doing either useless stuff like duolingo or anki reviews, or nothing at all, so it was a huge waste of time that I regret. I feel ashamed whenever someone asks me how long I’ve been studying. Anyway, since this March I’ve been going strong with daily reading and I’m seeing huge improvements although I feel like at this pace there’s still 2-3 years of painful daily study ahead of me. So yeah I can understand any form of trying to motivate yourself. Anyway, you’re great and keep at it!

3 Likes

I can say that my vocabulary and reading exercises have been lacking, so don’t put down your efforts with anki and such as useless! I wish I could swap 20% of my messing around with ‘practical’ things over to rote memorisation. We all have to start with ‘our’ way and then evolve to fix the dead-zones and regrets we leave in our wake. You can do it <3

2 Likes

A wishy washy 3 years for me and I’m also scraping for motivation. Nowhere near the level I’d like to confidently communicate and my weak point is glaringly my non-existent speaking skills. Seeing others strive certainly refreshes my mood to try more though.

I think we only use the word “Broadcast” in this sense.
“He’s broadcasting his intentions by doing that.” for example.
Not sure if I’ve come across it in Japanese. But if it’s been native checked then that’s cool.
It does seem obvious it’s similar to something like 「意図を伝える」or something.

2 Likes

This may be true. My friend knows that I tend to use metaphors and similes quite liberally and may have seen it as that without need for expansion/explanation. I could have shown it as such more plainly, but if it is good enough for her cursory check, then it suits me! Perhaps it works and the collocation with 情報 is utilised at least semi-frequently.

I just asked her and she confirmed that it gave her the image of radio waves and such, so she permitted it as 比喩的 as the piece is detailing the magical power of dogs to ‘transmit’ information, rather than the standard ‘conveyance’ that would be inferred with a more standard verb. She also believes she found it to be sufficiently natural as it was in essay/written format where people are typically more creative with phrases, whereas in speech, it would likely stand out more. So yeah, completely correct and a 情報を伝える would have been more natural, if natural writing were the sole purpose of these pieces. Thank you very much for reading thoroughly and giving your advice!

3 Likes

Day 2:

I have finished the preparation work for these things but am yet to get back into the rhythm.

While I am not an anime watcher as such, I watched a few episodes of はじめの一歩 with Japanese subtitles and was pleasantly surprised at 90%+ comprehension.

I wrote 2 pieces today. I guess I will only post one of them to avoid fluff:

Writing time: ~30 minutes
Native checked: yes

鰻の件について
イギリス人の癖に、鰻を食ったことがなかった。いや、イギリスの北部の人だからこそかな?イングランドのJellied eelsは南部の特産物なので、出身地を誇りに思っている北部の人には抵抗がある。見た目は良いとも言えない。だが、不思議なことに、日本鰻は前々から憧れていた。見た目が良くて、味を知らず、食いたいなと長く心待ちにしていた。

たかとひろえと一緒にロンドンのやや高めなレストランに行った。たかとひろえはそれぞれ天丼、鍋焼きうどんを注文した。俺は、ステーキ丼を頼んだ(ひろえが奢ってくれたから、五千円のメニューを注文したのに、今でも罪悪感を感じている)。前に書いたように、イングランドを誇りに思っているので、「British Ribeye(リブロース)」を見ると、早速決めた。濃くて美味かった。照り焼きの味よりも、リブロースの強い味わいが口の中に広がって、もっと食いたくて堪らなかった。しかし、その素敵な味の混ぜこぜのせいで、問題が生まれてきた。分け合うため、鰻も唐揚げも注文した。唐揚げは今までの一番ビミョーな唐揚げだったけれど、ロンドンで充分美味しい唐揚げを見つけられるので、それはともかくとして、鰻に集中する。ひろえによると、食った鰻の魚っぽい味は薄かった。イングランドに凄く強い魚っぽい味が好きではない人も結構いるから、多分庶民の好みにしたのかな?あるいは、使っている鰻がイギリスのものかな?それもさておき、なぜかというのは重要なことではない。要点は、なぜ薄いのかがまだわからない。普通にウナギと書いてあったし。不味くはなかったけど、照り焼きがその鰻の細やかな味を圧倒してしまった。もしチキンからできていたとしても、その経験はあまり変わらなかったはずだ。魚を食うなら、魚を味わいたいな、俺。

その日、ひろえと同じで、何かを悟ってきた。できるだけ違う地域で本物に近いものを作ろうとするのは、王道とは言えない。特産物の「特」はマーケティングだけではなく、そこでしか作れないこともある。イングランドにいるときは、日本食をどうしても食いたくなるのなら、イギリスの特別な材料の含まれている食事は勧められる。どちらが一番美味しいという話はここで語るつもりはない。単純に、君の慣れている味ではなくても、その材料がわざわざメニューに載っている意味があるだろう。載せるくらいのものなら、コックが絶対にそのメニューのバランスをしっかりと考えてくれた。それ自体では、日本食にイングランド特有の食材が入っている場合、それは地元の特産物と見なされるのではないだろうか?

I did do some sentences for the words in my N1 vocabulary book, but I am finding it sorely lacking in scope. The first word: アイデンティティー is given with one example and translation, so ‘which’ identity in English this corresponds to had to be ascertained. This theme continued and resulted in a general erosion of time. Perhaps this workload balance issue needs to be addressed.

Aside from that, the rest of my studies comprised of general conversation.

5 Likes

The workload of trying to finish my book to some extent before my new job begins has been somewhat crushing.

I did, however, write 2 more sections, one of which I will post.

I read 2 chapters of ノ・ゾ・キ・ア・ナ and reread it with a native, confirming correct understanding of one or 2 parts. I also made some flashcards because smutty stuff is apparently easier to make flashcards for than N1 books.

I watched 2 episodes of はじめの一歩 but my understanding was a little lower than the previous foray due to distractions.

イギリスの不味い料理について
Writing time: around 40 minutes.
まず、質問する。ある国の国民がみんな不味い食い物が好きな可能性があると思うのか?みんなわざわざしかめっ面をしながら食う訳がないだろう。普通に考えればわかるのに、なぜ「不味い」と言われているのかな?と日本語を勉強し始めた二年間くらいずっと思っていた。歴史や料理は得意とは言えないけど、少し主観的な意見を言わせてもらう。

一つ目の理由をあげると、それは大英帝国の歴史と関係がある。色々な国と戦争したり、支配権をめぐって争ったりしたことで、イギリス人はとっくに一つの人種とは言えない。イギリス料理もまるで雑種みたいなものになってきた。例えば、ラザニアの最古のレシピはイギリスのものなんだけど、ローマ人に征服されたので、多分結局ローマから来たのかな(ジャガイモが発見される前に、イギリス人はパスタをいっぱい食っていたのは、ビックリしないのか?少なくとも俺は結構ショックを受けたんだよ笑)?シャンパンは?フランスのものだが、スパークリングワインはイギリスのものだった。あと、知っているかもしれんが、洋食もある程度イギリス料理の影響からできた。キットカット、カレー、肉じゃが、みんなイギリスと関係がある。逆に言うと、フィッシュアンドチップスのフィッシュはたった三百年前にユダヤ人が持ってきたものだ。イギリスのカレーとチャツネはもちろんインドとその周りの国のおかげだ。言いたいのは、イギリスの食い物の歴史が複雑なので、広がったり、浸透したりするせいで、定義もできない。

二つ目の理由と言えば、ロンドンにしか来ない外国人が多くて、全体的には詳しくないと思う。東京の料理、最高だ!と言われたら、どう思う?まあ、誇りに思っている奴もいるだろうが、都会だと、人がそれぞれで食事のクオリティーも値段もそれぞれと言えるのではないだろうか?ロンドンも同じようにるつぼと呼ばれる。勘違いしないで、日本に行ったことがない俺は関東のことをバカにしていないが、また聞きによると関西の評判の方が高いそうだ(東京の奴ら、頭に来たかな?)。そのネットでの「大阪は天下の台所」という評判が本当かどうかは、日本に行って、二冊目の本を発表するまで取っておく。要点に戻ると、必ずしも東京のレストランが不味いというものでもないとは分かっている。ロンドンも同じだ。あと、都会の欠点をもう一つあげるなら、常連さんが要らなくて、通りすがりの観光客の購買のおかげで、安い物を高く売っていても、生き残れる。

最後に、慣れている味ではないことが多い。イギリスは多国籍ということで、色んな料理が提供されていて、同時に近所の人の好みにもその食い物の地元の人の好みにも当たらないはずだ。ぶっちゃけ、日本で提供されているフィッシュアンドチップスやローストビーフやアフタヌーンティーの写真を見ると、「それ、許せねえ」と思っちまう。が、最近、前に語った、イギリスのリブロースからできていたステーキ丼を食うことで、本物ではなくてもいいと思い始めた。しかし、唯一のリクエストは、イギリス料理を評価する前に、イギリスの田舎でよく晴れた午後に、本物のアフタヌーンティーを頂いてほしいということだ。

As you can probably tell, the current chapter is about food in the UK.

4 Likes

I read a further 2 chapters of ノ・ゾ・キ・ア・ナ and made flashcards. Again, rereading with a native to confirm some slang.

I also tried to watch some anime, but it really isn’t my thing. Perhaps I should read more.

I did 10 bunpro reviews to start working on the backlog.

Today’s writing was on the multicultural nature of England (I seldom visit other parts of the UK, so I do not wish to blindly apply norms).

ひろえは外人ではない。
Writing time: 30 minutes
前置きとして、俺はForeignerという言葉のニュアンスという点を取り上げようと思っていて、俺はForeignerや外人みたいな言葉より酷い呼び方なんてないと思う。両方の言語で「outside」という語源からできていて、使ったら、ある意味で、「俺はお前と違うんだよ」というかのようなことになる。もちろん、人は何も考えずその言葉を使用する。使う人が悪いとは思っていない。言葉の定義や語源より、人の意図の方がずっと重要だと思うし。日本語を勉強し始めた期間に、「○○という言葉、どういうニュアンス?」と三人に聞いてみたら、異なった説明を三つもらうに決まっていると直ぐわかってきた。つまり、「Foreigner」だの、「外人」だの、と言う人を責めていない。単純に俺は個人的にその言葉が好きではない。

そうは言っても、たまには人の行動を見ると、「ここの人じゃないだろうな」と思っちまうこともある。それは、「outsider」みたいなニュアンスではなくて、「自分の国へ戻れ」ということでもなく、単純に態度や行動が目立つということだけだ。ひろえの場合は、日本人なのに違和感とか全く感じなかった。ひろえはイングランドのライフスタイルのペースにも習慣にもすぐに馴染んできた。「すごいな」と俺は思っていた。実は、ひろえが日本に戻るまで、「一回も『外国人だ』と感じる隙もなかった」と気づいた。相性が良いからかな?俺の行動を手本にしていて、行動してくれたかな?そういう可能性があるとは否定できないけれど、イングランドが多国籍で、外人だという概念が消えていっていると思いたい。信じたいかな。

考えてみれば、周りの人もひろえを外国人扱いをしていなかった、主に。確かに、レストランで注文する時、ウェイトレス(ウェイターがあまりいなかった)が先に俺に話しかけたけど、男性だからかな?古臭いんだが、男性の方が注文したり支払ったりするとよく思われているんだ。「ひろえに聞け」と言うと、普通にひろえに話してくれた。侮辱になるほど遅く話していなかったし。ひろえは、イングランド人と同等の扱いを受けたみたいだった。どんな国にでも悪い奴らもいるとは言え、この短期間のイギリス人の行動を誇りに思っている。ひろえがありのままのイギリスを見ることができてありがたい。

2 Likes

2 Chapters of ノ・ゾ・キ・ア・ナ (and created flashcards)
2 Episodes of ばらかもん
Wrote 2 pieces for the book (I will hold off on posting as it seems few seem to read them (sorry))
Perhaps today’s realisation was that there will be some hard days.
I did 12 bunpro reviews to lighten the load a little and finally started doing the flashcards I have been creating on anki.

2 Likes

I read 3 chapters and with that completed volume 1 of ノ・ゾ・キ・ア・ナ.
I still need to reread them and make flashcards as I read it in bed last night.
I completed items on my anki and bunpro backlog.
I wrote an essay on the subject of author bias.
1 week until my new job starts and I have to get my act together.

3 Likes

Interesting choice. Shame about it’s awful adaption.
Hope your new job is going well.

2 Likes

The new job is not giving me a huge amount of time to study, but I am still writing 1-2 pieces a day, and I am finding time to read a few pages of チャンネルはそのまま at the tail-end of breaks. The hardest thing is simply pretending I enjoy rote memorisation, so anki has taken a dive, but in general my level of study has not faltered too heavily. Thank you for taking the time to reply and motivating me to post.

A short piece on nighttime sightseeing in London:

夜の観光
ロンドンがあまり好きではないけれど、色々な名所がいっぱいあるということは否定できない。ということで、一週間滞在していても、全てを訪れることができるとは限らない。その上で、ロンドン以外の様々な所に行ってほしいから、効率的に観光をすればいいと思う。今のところ、バッキンガム宮殿を調べたら、二百枚の写真の中に、一、二枚しか夜の写真が出てこない。その一、二枚は俺にとって、一番ユニークで素敵な写真となる。ビッグベンも夜の写真が素敵だといえども、少ない。

これから、質問をする。しっかりと考えてほしい。何故旅行をしているのか?それは、他の人と同じことを経験するため?それとも、自分だけの経験をしたい?後者なら、夜の観光も勧める。冷夏の八月なのに、ロンドンの観光地を歩きながら、人の気配がしない時もあった。まあ、ロンドンが凄く賑やかな街なので、それは少し怖かったから、一人では勧めることはできないな。ロンドンで犯罪にあったことがないが、知らない国にいる場合は、特に気を付けた方がいい。しかし、もし「夜中でもいいし」と思っていれば、人混みのないおがけで、気軽にユニークな写真を撮れる。一時間のうちに徒歩で五つの名所に行くことができて、役に立った。要は、みんなに推奨することができないとは言え、時間の節約が大事な人に「入れない名所だと、夜だ」と言いたいだけだ。

Some expansion needed, but I am overly passionate about London in general.

1 Like