Ability to divide reviews

I’m impressed that a feature such as the ability to divide the number of grammar points you can review per session isn’t in bunpro yet… I keep up with all my reviews, so this is not a problem of me leaving all of my reviews for the last moment. I could have 0 reviews then for the next Srs batch I have to do over 20. It is very stressful to have to do so many reviews in one go and it is the reason why I decided to quit wanikani (apart from mnemonics not working for me).

I suggest a limiter where you can max out the number of grammar terms you can review in one go. Personally, when I go over 10-15 I can’t focus anymore.

2 Likes

@Hyikun
Great idea! I will tell the other members of the team about it.

On the other hand, have you heard about Pomodoro method? Basically, the human mind can only focus for a short time, around 25 minutes. After that one will gradually lose focus and learning will get less and less effective.
The idea is to use a stopper, or pomodoro app that will notify you when 25 minutes of learning pass and you can take a break.
I strongly suggest trying it :+1:

8 Likes

Hi Hyikun. When doing your review, you can click on the upper left menu (three horizontal bars) then on “wrap up session” in order to finish reviewing the wrong points. This is not exactly what you what since you have to check yourself the number of reviewed points, but this may help.

4 Likes

holy cow this is an awesome feature. No idea it existed.

1 Like

Ya I like to do small batches too. I always click wrap up at the start of my wanikani reviews so it only does batches of ten at a time. And yes the mnemonics are painfully stupid there. I just don’t even read them anymore, same with the radicals. What’s the point of teaching us blatantly wrong stuff?
So I also would like to see batches in review myself but until them I’ll just do a bunch and then close the page and come back later. I guess bunpro isn’t as bad as wanikani since it’s more of a thinking site and less of a memorization site but they’re both good.
Or not i dunno

1 Like

Although I don’t personally use their mnemonics, nor see much value of SRS’ing the names they give to their radicals, they are not teaching you anything blatantly wrong.

1 Like

I guess I mean since they use a lot of non standard teaching. So when you try to transfer it to other sources you almost have to re learn it. I guess it might not be considered wrong but it also can’t really be considered correct. I’m only level 11 over there so it’s not like my opinion is all important. Just kinda frustrating sometimes, but no they aren’t blatantly wrong in the same vein that I can’t spell a word I make up incorrectly. That’s how I feel about it at least

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I went all the way to 60 in WK and stopped reading their mnemonics at around Level 6 or so. Granted, this was before their big mnemonic revamp, so they were still heavily laden with pop culture references I didn’t care for at all, so I think they’re better now, but still. I know some users even give all radicals “synonyms” like “a” or something, so that they can effectively skip them by effortlessly getting them right every time.

2 Likes

They are teaching you ways to decompose Kanji that are neither (a) etymologically correct nor (b) aligned with how natives break down Kanji. I feel like if at some point in the future you intend to take something like one of the higher levels of the Kanji Kentei, wanikani might actively hurt you as you’ll need to know things like what the traditional radicals are. And on the other hand if you’re someone like me who just loves digging into etymologies, it’s pretty painful too ^^

2 Likes