About 1 month into transitioning into more immersion based learning

For as long as I can remember, “studying Japanese” has been the hallmark of my day. It’s something I enjoy. Between Bunpro, Anki, Japanesepod 101 and media consumption. This past year has been particularly helpful because of the addition of Bunpro. Still, I’ve neglected immersion learning for a good while. There are many reasons for this, but that may be a topic for another time.

Before, most of my immersion learning came in the form of a daily podcast and misc scattered gaming and videos. And I would do the podcast during work which counts more as passive listening. Overall, very little. Over the past month I have eased myself into more transition by replacing some of the things I was previously doing.

Watching: Anime. Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. (2 episodes per day)

I had heard the Fate can be a notoriously difficult anime and I agree with that. Some episodes I was genuinely lost, mostly when talking about all the war and magic stuff, the slice of life stuff was easy at my level. Have a few episodes left, but I have a feeling I’m going to rewatch this one down the line. Will probably watch a slice of life as the next series.

Reading: Light Novel: Hataraku Maou Sama

About 25-30 min a day. I had actually purchased it a long a while back along with a Kindle but read it very sparingly. After several months, I was only 12% complete. Now I’m at 17% which is a comparatively higher jump. Didn’t start this one until later on the month. Lots of demonology, but also some deeply rooted Japanese cultural bits. Once I finish this one it will be the first light novel I finish in Japanese, and I hope it will get easier from there.

Videogames: Persona 5 Royal

I’ve finished other RPGs in Japanese before, but the Persona series is among the hardest for me to play in Japanese. This is my fourth attempt to play through a Persona game in Japanese, but it is so far the most consistent. It is easier for me now, but by no means is it easy. Playing about 30 min before bed as a “reward”. About 12 hours in.

Additional reading: I enjoy reading Famitsu and Rocketnews24, because reading about video game and stupid thing is fun. I might mix it up and read articles instead of a light novel on some days.

Additional learning: While not immersion, I recently started watching Cure Dolly’s videos. Very informative, and while not for everyone, falls in line with the transition I’m making.

Other changes: Transitioning from J-E dictionary to J-J. So far very interesting, some explanations give a nuance that you don’t find in a J-E dictionary. If I don’t understand the description, I will look up the English one.

So far, it’s been interesting. Some excitement, some frustration, but so far very fruitful I feel. I’ve tried a lot of passive listening before, but it just doesn’t seem to work without a good amount of focused listening. My parter is not so hung-ho about me watching a lot of stuff on my own with headphones, but she understands. I hope to progressively increase this habit as the year goes on. While of course, still doing Bunpro.

16 Likes

This is very good! I recently finished my first light novel. It took me a whooping 9 hours, but is extremely helpful. I have been doing it daily since I started, even if one day I could do only 3-4 pages, I can feel my speed has picked up.

If you have a learnnatively or bookmeter account, let me know! I like to see what other people in the learning quest are reading.

My level is clearly not there yet, kanji wise. Unless you have found something that has furigana on the definitions I’ll have to wait until I progressed on my kanji learning a bit more.

2 Likes

If you have an iPhone or some other iOS or macOS device, the 明鏡国語辞典 available via the “Dictionaries” app by 物書堂 has the option to enable furigana for definitions.

3 Likes

I’m on android, so sadly that’s not an option.

Actually for Android, there appears to be a “total furigana” version of the 2nd edition by LogoVista. But since I don’t use Android I don’t know if it’s any good.

1 Like

Kinda a steep price for something that hasn’t been updated since 2020 and has only 500 installs, but thanks for sharing anyway.

I’ll keep looking around, maybe I find something.

Congrats on finishing your first light novel. Can’t wait to do so as well. I’ve never heard of those types of accounts, but I’ll look into it.

As far as the J-J dictionary, I still have to go back to the E-J dictionary often, but you’ll be surprised that you may know more than you think by looking up words in one. The Kindle comes with daijisen as one of the free dictionary downloads. I don’t know a whole lot of people who use that dictionary because it tends to be pretty pricey in print or in apps for some reason.

If you use learnatively, the good thing is that you can get an idea of how difficult the book you might be interested in picking up is.

For example my account is:

As you can see, the books are graded with a level.

The other option is bookmeter, but it’s totally in Japanese and doesn’t really provide grading. Is more pure Book sharing SNS.

2 Likes

Sweet, thanks. I’m sure this will be helpful.

1 Like

Hey uhm…I am going to ask a selfish question please forgive me.
What is japanesepod101? I see it has some cool 1 dollar offer and then 25$ a month but I don’t quite know what this is? And the high pressure situation of a one time offer is kind of a red flag usually? I mean I bought it because you mentioned it and it’s only a dollar which is worth a risk to me. But I was hoping maybe you could speak what it is

Sure, I’ll fill you in. It’s a learning site with podcast style lessons accompanied by pdfs and practice material for premium users. They’ve been around for a very long time by internet standards. (Since 2005 ish) If you’re worried about it being a scam, trust me it isn’t. I’ve been using them for years and they deliver content pretty consistently. But if you do decide to sign up for a 1 or 2 year plan, they may charge you for the entire year at once but you can usually find a 65% off coupon.

Some of the older lessons are a little rough, but they have gotten better. They have an awful lot of material, but it’s not very well organized. If you want to get the most out of it, there is an Anki deck that has a good portion of the lessons’ dialogue and vocab converted. I believe I had a topic about it here if you want to hear more about it.

Yes please I tried to figure the site out for an hour and I honestly don’t have a clue how any of it works. Is there a tutorial available anywhere that you know of? But yes I would appreciate a link to the topic

There’s not really any tutorials that I know of. Generally, you listen to a podcast, review the PDF, save the vocab you want and repeat the dialogue. There is an SRS for vocab, but it’s not very good, you’re better off using the Anki decks. I would just start with season 1 of whatever level you feel that you are at and go in chronological order. You will have to go into Classic Mode in the Left Tab once you’re in Lesson Library to view them by season for some reason. The way they have them currently organized is pretty confusing.

Here is the link to the topic:

1 Like

To second Megumin, I’d recommend using both LearnNatively and Bookmeter. LN obviously has the better functionality for learners, and I use it to check difficulty where I can. But there’s so much missing from it that I really can’t make the changeover properly.

If something piques my interest and isn’t on LN, I just hold onto my cheeks and go for it anyway, haha.

Definitely can vouch for reading though. I’ve been making a real effort to read every weekday at lunch, and both speed and comprehension have shot up. There’s a lot out there for all levels if you scout around!

Oh, and on J-J dictionaries - elementary school/junior high school level dictionaries are a godsend. Nice and simple but still gives you what you need, and makes that transition a lot easier. Kanji shouldn’t be too much of an issue either, especially when it comes to the 小学生 dictionaries.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. Is there any online J-J 小学生 dictionary?

Not that I know of, unfortunately. I have a physical dictionary, so I’ve not looked for anything online.

1 Like

I was tempted at some point to buy one of those digital dictionaries, maybe it could be a possibility.