About ' like that, kind of ' and its 4 ways of writing - are all the same?

So since yesterday I got to learn about

Structure

こういう + Noun
そういう + Noun
ああいう + Noun
どういう + Noun

and then

Information

No specific context information for そういう

So during reviews usually I only remember that “like that, kind of” as そういう but when I show the answer I see

あんな消しゴムが好き
ああいう消しゴムが好き
あのような消しゴムが好き。

So in the end is there a difference when using those different ways for this grammar point? I am confused!!!

5 Likes

あんな消しゴムが好き = That kinda eraser
(a bit slang)
ああいう消しゴムが好き = That sort of eraser
(because いう sometimes behaves like ‘sort’ in Japanese)
あのような消しゴムが好き。= An eraser like that
(becasue よう means ‘likeness/manner of’, but doesn’t have to be exactly the same).

We are currently in the process of doing the grammar writeups for a lot of these tricky things. So hopefully we have a much better explanation for them soon!

8 Likes

I see, but what I meant are those different ways, are they all the same?

こういう + Noun
そういう + Noun
ああいう + Noun
どういう + Noun

if I keep answering そういう and the answers asks for ああいう, are they supposed to be different or not? I dont know how to differenciate them.

2 Likes

Oh I see, sorry. I misunderstood your question.

The difference between

こういう + Noun
そういう + Noun
ああいう + Noun
どういう + Noun

Is the same as the difference between

これ
それ
あれ
どれ

The ones that are hardest to differentiate are probably ああいう and そういう. With these two, sometimes it is not possible to tell (just by reading) which one is required. In many cases, either one could be correct. If the speaker is talking about an action that the listener is doing/something that the listener mentioned, it is more likely to be そういう. However, if the speaker is talking about a memory that both the speaker and the listener share, it is likely to be ああいう. Sometimes it depends on the feeling of the speaker though, so the あ/そ can change.

5 Likes