After trying bunpro for 28 days here goes my feedback and suggestions

Hi:

As many other people here i have used wanikani to help with kanji and i think bunpro is a great compliment to it.
First i will mention things i like about bunpro.

1.- It helps me get used with those tricky i adjectives and na adjectives.
2.- I can follow along the book my teacher is using to guide me through JLPT (right now Genki II)
3.- It has lot of examples and if i use polite form instead of casual form it knows my answer is right.
4.- It shows me how i am advancing through the different JLPT levels.
5.- It uses SRS which makes studying much more effective.
6.- The iOS app is in development but it is very welcome i really like it.

Now here goes my suggestions:
1.- When looking at a certain path it would be great how much it covers of the JLPT. Normally many people say Genki I is N5 and Genki II is N4, but since in bunpro we have lots of grammar we could be able to see how much does Minna no Nihongo or Tobira cover.

1. Like many wanikani users i am used to the fact that lessons come after completing certain marks, so that would be really nice.

3.- Paths is a great idea to help the people who are following a book with a teacher, and many times we get asked to review both grammar and vocabulary from the lesson in the book. Vocabulary is the only gap that is missing for many of us (bunpro for grammar + wanikani for kanji and vocabulary would be the only missing) i know i know bunpro is not a vocabulary resource, but since we are adding contents from books or other webpages, could it be considered at least as an useful suggestion?

Here are things that annoy me or that i think are buggy:
1.- Bunpro feels slow sometimes when doing reviews, it won’t show the next review or will get laggy at times.
2. - When bunpro tells me in N5 70/111 i am not sure if its grammar i am currently reviewing or if it considers i am doing well in that grammar. In wanikani i have a clear idea of how i am doing because i can see for that particular item in which stage i am.

so i know that if that item is burned or enlightened i can consider it covered for my next JLPT test.

All in all i think i love bunpro and its a very well made tool that its been really thought for students and that its unmatched, so you guys are awesome and i would like to thank you for putting so much effort into this i can see in this community that many people really appreciate all of what you do

Cheers

8 Likes

This is the number of grammar points you have studied versus the total number of grammar points available. Books don’t cover all grammar points available in Bunpro. You will need to study the additional points in the Grammar>Lessons submenu. A red mark indicates which grammar points you have already studied.

1 Like

If helpful, the Genki decks on kitsun.io have been well maintained and their user-friendly platform is robust with a ton of features that I favor far more than Anki. And I can add cards to unfamiliar BP vocab extremely easily too. They probably have the most polished 10K deck available (among other community decks) but I’ve generally made my own since they are so easy to do and I like the freedom of content (something I could never had the patience with Anki). They also have reader to card platform and video/translation cards capabilities just to name a few.

It’s hard to please all users. Generally I think the freedom is favored here but it takes some extra effort to plan your path. Perhaps it could be an optional setting since this come up often but I think it’s paced based on your choice. Since levels are by experience and not content, I think it will never be quite the same though. And what’s most important is negotiable too, WK puts alot of useful vocab/kanji in the deep stages.

Wish they had more features in the planner like if the streaks were parsed by grammar points if I click on the bar graph and see what is there. There is the level indicator script while reviewing if helpful using JLPT Level Indicator script just like the one @prouleau just mentioned.

I have been around for 2 years (practically since they began) and truly, the difference in 2018 BunPro to 2020 BunPro is astounding. They have improved by leaps and bounds and that’s why I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a yearly subscription this year (after getting the “2 Years Medal”, no less).

Your review is accurate in a few points, except in the reviews feeling slow part. Maybe using a different browser might help (I myself use Chrome with barely any plug ins installed).

4 Likes

Check out this companion app for Bunpro:

It’s lightning fast and shows your progress for each grammar point as SRS level.

1 Like

Ohh i have been trying quizzlet for Genkivocabulary lists, but to be honest i don’t find flashcards or anki very useful. My experience with many of them is that if i type an answer in higarana instead of kanji or the other way around it will just mark it wrong. And basically you go and review whenever you like. In my opinion SRS is just so much better in so many ways when compared to anything else.

Rewarding bunpyro, its and android app so i wo’nt be able to test it. I really like the way the Bunpro beta app has veen progessing on iOS.

Hi:

I use the new chromium edge when i am out of home, and safari when i am at home (both on my mac and on my iphone), i also use the ios app, and the experience is the same and all these browsers and the app. I personally don’t like chrome since it is a HUGE memory eater.

good thing it only happens intermitently.

Cheers