Any of these kanji of any use?

幌儚剽悍萩翰腑轍曰靡蛾碌捲此殆炸謗瞼凧拉奢繕棍柵甜肋只蔓煽斤咽仇捗頗暢帷

So, the above are kanji that I encountered in different vocabulary naturally by consuming Japanese language.

Normally I just add all kanji to my study program, but I avoid adding kanji that are not really used outside of just a single word or a couple of words, as learning them separately is pointless (i.e. I learn that particular kanji as a part of the word and not separately). Same goes for nanori kanji, they are essentially just phonetic outside of few exceptions, so learning them separately is pointless as well.

So, with that in mind - a question to people who are much further in Japanese them me - are any of the above kanji actually useful on their own? :slight_smile:

Does being a counter count as being useful on its own?

1 Like

I suppose you are talking about 斤? :slight_smile:
Like 一斤 and such.
I guess you might be right, it’s better to add this one.

Any others? :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could always check Jisho.org too, see if any of these pop up anywhere you think might be important for you.

2 Likes

If you’re on mobile, you can use Akebi app (dictionary similar to jisho) to get a feeling of how common a kanki is. Just share the kanji to the app and you’ll get a scree like this:

So, you see that it is not just part of the JLPT but also part of RTK, the 2500 frequency and taught in grade 9.

But the rest of your kanji I personally never encountered anywhere.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a number of these in the wild. I don’t know if they’re worth learning on their own though; learning them in words is probably enough.

儚: 儚い (spotted in some fantasy game, maybe SQ?)

曰: 曰く(spotted in the manga ねねね, used in the form X曰く “according to X”)

此: 此処・此れ・此の etc (not nearly as common as the kana versions, but you’ll see them in manga and novels at the discretion of kanji-happy authors)

凧 (spotted in Sekiro)

柵 (spotted in Persona Q2)

只: 只今 (not as common as the kana version but it does show up; first spotted in Persona Q2); 只野仁人 (character in the manga 古見さんはコミュ症です)

仇 (spotted in the manga 鬼滅の刃)

3 Likes

Yeah, this is where I got them myself, as I mentioned :slight_smile:

Yeah, as your example with 儚い there is probably no reason to learn it separately.
Here:

I guess just knowing hakanai alone would automatically make it possible to read the other two.

Hm, really? That’s unexpected. I also read quite a lot of manga, but I have never actually seen it written like that :slight_smile:

Hm, how do you read 只野 and 仁人? Tadano and Jinjin? :slight_smile:

Thank you for taking time to share all of that. I really appreciate it!

I actually misread your post at first :sweat_smile: I missed the part where you said you’d found them yourself, so I was just weighing in and saying “yeah these do show up”. Turns out you already knew that :slightly_smiling_face:

只野仁人 is pronounced ただの・ひとひと. Everyone in 古見さん has a punning name and Tadano is “just a normal guy”.

1 Like