Any tips for develping low level listening comprehenion?

Study it specifically or increase it

I also feel your pain! It is almost upsetting how far behind my listening comprehension is to my reading, it feels like I must be doing something wrong. Even when I know most of the words in a sentence, sometimes I just sit there dumbfounded haha.
Iā€™m also not at a high enough level yet for watching television shows or most non-graded content to be useful (I mean, I do it anyway, and I sometimes get some fun vocab like éØ and ęœ¬å½“ from Mob Psycho) but even when I should be able to understand sentences, I just ā€¦canā€™t seem to get it.

Hopefully we can both figure it out (going to use all of the resources posted in this thread!) Thanks for posting this, I feel less weird. All of my friends are much [MUCH] better at listening than reading.

Iā€™m in the same low-level comprehension boat as well. I know that my problem is that I just need to do it more!

Itā€™s already been mentioned, but listening/watching something Iā€™m already familiar has personally helped me a lot. When I was starting to branch out into native content when studying German, I watched Letā€™s Plays for games that I had played before. Watching dubbed movies/shows I had already watched in English works, too.

My favourite listening resource is a youtube channel called ā€œcomprehensible japaneseā€. She has loads of videos around 5-10 minutes long with illustrated stories about Japanese culture. Itā€™s all divided from complete beginner to intermediate level and her voice is super nice to listen to. Always put a beginner video on while I eat my lunch at work.

2 Likes