Any tips on getting through 2000+ reviews after a longgggg break?

Was really busy at work so I stopped for a few months. Right now things are looking better so I’m looking to start back again! But the mountain of 2000-plus reviews is looking maddening. Any way or tips to start getting back in? Or should I just change methods or anything?

7 Likes

I go to the decks page and clear them deck by deck :slight_smile: it breaks it up into easier chunks!

12 Likes

Just a little at a time, don’t burn yourself out by trying to do it all at once. You can just do 100 (for example) and then use the wrap-up feature to catch any you missed from the batch you just did before stopping.

7 Likes

Queue order → Descending SRS level. That way you’ll have less of them coming back to haunt you the following days :ghost:

16 Likes

Set the review settings from highest to lowest SRS

It worked for me, I hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face:

haha you said it sooner :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Oh! Why expert to beginner? Wouldn’t that mean that the easier ones are further back?

2 Likes

No, quite the opposite. The easier ones (well, by easier we mean points that you are an expert at) will come first.

Highest to lowest SRS level: it starts with points you are an expert at, then seasoned, then adept, and at last you review newly learned items which sit at beginner.

1 Like

And tackling higher SRS items first also means that you get less reviews to work on the following day, as those come back with a lower frequency compared to beginner ones. Usually it’s important to follow beginner-SRS to the letter to make learning new words as easy as possible, but since you haven’t touched those for months it won’t make a difference. However, seeing your review pile decrease faster will definitely make this easier on you

1 Like

Ah! I see, thank you so much! Will do so!

1 Like

as a future piece of advice: if you are feeling busy, stop adding new items, but don’t stop doing your reviews.

the vast majority of your reviews are always relatively new items, so not adding new ones can cut the amount of reviews in half in just a few days.

and if you still feel like you don’t have time for a long review sessions, then just do several small ones. 5 minutes here and there over the course of a day and you will get through it with ease.

but it really is important that you keep doing your reviews, not just so they don’t pile up, but because an SRS is (ideally) designed to make you review something when you are most likely to start forgetting it. the longer you postpone a review, the less effective it’s gonna be.

7 Likes

I’ve also seen the bunpro staff help users by setting the reviews back into chunks.

3 Likes

Also for future reference, there’s a vacation mode in settings if you know you’ll be taking a break. This freezes your review count until you’re back so they don’t pile up.

On the brighter side, according to how SRS works, anything you get correct first go round during this, you most definitely already know now!

Also, welcome back!

2 Likes

So, I don’t know if I have any practical or useful advice to add for this, because instead of doing anything else anyone has said here, I spent the last 60 days raw dogging a review queue that was over 3200 items long (at one point my number of beginner items were over 200, and number of ghosts was over 150), and all I can say is take it day by day and do your best to not burn yourself out to where you aren’t going to want to keep going the next day (which is why I ended up with the 3200+ items I described in the first place).

3 Likes

I used timer to just get myself some focused time and get through my 4000 reviews anime deck, it still has 700 reviews left, I think I’ll complete them after a small pause.

So yeah, put 20 or 40 or 60 minutes and go though them without hurry

2 Likes

Create decks, set limits and turn off some reviews.

For example, if the cards you have are 1100 N5 + 1095 N4, make as much decks as you have SRS levels expect Beginner cards :
N5 - Seasoned
N5 - Adept

Then, go to the N5 deck, filter them by SRS level, select everything and add them to the new deck.

This will cut your reviews into chunks.

As others have said, put them as Mastered → Beginner to start with the easiest cards.

Then, put a review limit and a daily limit.

For example, if you want to clear everything in 20 days 2k/20 = 100 cards per day, i suggest taking this number and doing reviews 10x lower.
100 cards max a day.
10 cards max per review.
It’s to avoid burning out.

Last part, I recommend turning off reviews for every cards that are in Beginner SRS.
They’re not memorised yet and you’ve been gone for a long time. You probably don’t remember most of them. So do the same manipulation as for adding cards to a deck, but select remove from reviews and reset reviews.

Take your time to deal with most non beginner cards then add beginner cards in the learning queue again.

1 Like

Take about 5 minutes to mentally prepare yourself then do all 2k cards in 10 minutes.
If you spend 1/3 seconds per card it should be light work. :+1: I hope this helps.

3 Likes

You can use cram to review through the content you should know. Do it regularly until you remember, insist on what you fail. Doing this adds no pressure on failures to even more increase your reviews frequency. When you are confident enough, start to do reviews again. Your failure rate should be decent enough to be able to clean your review pile.
As others said, dont add new content until your review pile is cleared, and dont do to much review by day. If you want to work a lot at first, do some reviews and then cram.

Good luck !

Just do as many as you can stand every day till you catch up, don’t do any new. Also keep up on your Anki because vocab is often more important than grammar. You can also just delete it all and start over from like n4 or n3.

Hi!

Does Bunpro provide an interface to filter, select and disable reviews for large numbers of items I’m currently studying all at once, or are you suggesting to find all those items one at a time? I’ve just had a look for that and couldn’t find anything.

Thanks, helped me get back into the flow of things. I was almost gonna give up :laughing:

2 Likes