App vs. website on mobile

I’m very new to bunpro and started on PC but mostly do my japanese practice (WaniKani) on mobile (android). I saw that bunpro has an official app and got it but when I wanted to do my lessons I could not find the “mark as mastered” button that the website has, which got me wondering:
Is it better to just use the website (as a PWA for example) instead of the app? What are the pros and cons of each?

3 Likes

Yeah, the app is rather crude at times, but I use it on mobile anyway for no specific reason, and I did not try using the web version on mobile.

One recent annoying thing I found is that the app ships with some kind of limited font with missing characters, so my notes made in my primary language do not display correctly

1 Like

I quite like the app because I can’t be bothered to go to the website from my phone browser, but it seems that the web app probably does have less issues.

1 Like

If you are using iOS you might want to try this on safari :
export menu (square with the arrow) > add to Home Screen

You’ll get a bunpro icon and no safari interface when launched, which is pretty much like an app.

I have never tried the app because bunpro works perfectly well on this mobile layout, no idea if the app is any better.

3 Likes

You can mark entries as mastered there after adding them to your reviews, then heading down to the “Progress” tab, and tapping the “Mark as Mastered” button in the three dots menu. I agree that this is a bit complicated, though.

From my experience, the app works quite well, and I’ve never felt the need to switch to the web version. Until offline capabilities are added to it, I think that the mobile experience will be pretty comparable, with the app being slightly more optimized. I have no doubt in my mind that the developers won’t add the missing features to the mobile app eventually.

2 Likes

I mostly use the website on my mobile. If you use kiwi browser, you can install yomitan and have a popup dictionary that works during Bunpro reviews. Also there’s a dictionary file for Yomitan containing the info of the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar book, which I like to use in conjunction with Bunpro.

1 Like

I’ve been a Bunpro member on and off for over three years. At first, the development of the app was really promising and I used it exclusively on mobile.

But ever since the website got a big upgrade, the app has not been able to keep up. I have found it to be very unreliable both in terms of functionality and features.

This is the reason that I just use my phone’s web browser to do my reviews and lessons, rather than use the app.

3 Likes

real. so real.

In general I prefer apps to sites mainly for better performance and power consumption, but the Bunpro app really needs a lot of work. There are some strange interface decisions and some of the functionality seems to not work.

1 Like

Been using the website on mobile for over a year now, no issues.

1 Like

Following up from my previous post, I want to give credit where it’s due. Big props to those who designed the website. It’s amazing how well it works between mobile and PC. That’s no easy feat!

1 Like

I use the website on mobile. I added the website as a shortcut on my homepage using my browser.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I used the app for a while and only recently swapped to mobile site instead, due to a feature or setting that either didn’t work or didn’t exist in the app (don’t remember exactly what it was), and realized I preferred the mobile site experience overall.

But inversely there’s a few things the app handles better, so I keep both installed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like