でも as 'but' not a lesson?

I’ve heard でも used as ‘but’ in conversation, as well as on Jisho. But while there are lessons for けど, が and けれども, there seems to be no reference whatsoever to using でも for ‘but’. Why is this? And when should I use でも instead of the alternatives?

4 Likes

There really should be a separate lesson, but until there’s an official answer, the usage you’re talking about is probably closest to this one:
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/186
それでも
I think of this one as “that, but” where “that” is the previous phrase.

1 Like

These are a bit different. でも as “but” is more like だが than like それでも.

でも, in this use, just means “but”.

私はワインを愛している。でもワインは私を愛していない。
I love wine, but the wine doesn’t love me.

それでも implies that there is some surprising contrast or something (even so, and yet, but still, nevertheless, …)

それでも私はワインに腹を立てることができない。
Even so, I can’t be mad at the wine.

10 Likes

Thank you! I learned something and those are great example sentences. :smile:

1 Like

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but are there any plans of adding でも as a lesson? I get a bit confused when i type in でも in other reviews like けど since i don’t know if it could have been でも in that instance or not.

It’s mentioned in the だが grammar point.

It’s probably worth mentioning that the で in でも is just the “て-form” of the copula だ. So, if you understand ~ても, and you know when you can use だ (which is anywhere that you can use です, except on い-adjectives), then you know how to use/understand でも :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still a bit confused about this. Regardless of how you explain this, I still think this usage of でも deserves its own lesson in SRS, mainly due to its frequent usage and how basic it seems, even though by searching through Bunpro it doesn’t seem so. It was one of the very first particles I ever came in contact with actually.

4 Likes

I completely agree. I think it’d help beginners quite a bit

3 Likes

Hear, hear!

5 Likes

I definitely agree. I use the Japanese From Zero workbook series, and でも is a grammar point introduced as “but” in lesson 7 for the very first book. I was really confused when I started Bunpro and couldn’t find it when I was going through what grammar I’d already learned from my books to preemptively add to reviews.

5 Likes