みな at the end of a verb

Bottom right panel: 俺たちが身内同士で潰しあってみな?

潰しあってみな

So i often see verbs which end like this, but I can’t figure out exactly what the structure is.

What exactly is the 「みな」?

Is this meant to be 潰し合ってみているな as in “So you’re trying to get us to crush/destroy each other, huh?” ?

Please let me know where I’m going wrong with this. Thank you!

2 Likes

In regards to this,「てみな」 most of the time is probably being used as てみなさい - source: してみなの意味や使い方 わかりやすく解説 Weblio辞書

In this case, I think you’re right here. Except, I think it’s just てみるな and not てみているな. I’m not 100% sure, but when I look at this, if てみている was possible, I wouldn’t have any clue of how to tell whether it was てみている or てみる.

1 Like

I did some more searching but still nothin :frowning: I never know where to look when it comes to these “slang”/butchered forms so I’m always guessing.

Didn’t think about this. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what @josh has linked to. The な after an い-stem is just short for なさい. Here it is used more or less like “why don’t we?” or “shall we?” and then the guy explains what would happen if they did. I saw it used quite a bit in the early chapters of Spy x Family. When you see something like this, always think if なさい makes sense before anything else.

Is this meant to be 潰し合ってみているな as in “So you’re trying to get us to crush/destroy each other, huh?” ?

I don’t think な would be used like this. か or かい or something along those lines would be preferable here. But more importantly it wouldn’t be shortened like this. Changing みているな to みな is pretty hardcore, I don’t know if it’s possible even. Also, な after a non-past tense can and often is used as a negative imperative. The な you were thinking about is a sentence ending particle. It could be used just like you were saying, but it wouldn’t come after an い-stem.

Edit.
Turns out な can come after an い-stem in Kansai dialect as negative imperative, but it doesn’t make sense here as the guy does not have any other forms of Kansai dialect in his speech, at least not in this panel. Also his tone does not indicate an imperative neither here nor in the cartoon.

1 Like

I also asked my tutor on iTalki and this is what he said it looked like, based on context:
「潰しあってみたら、どうなるか?想像してみてください」

It makes sense because after that he says 「したら、その間に…」

It works but it doesn’t explain how to create such a structure.

This makes sense. But I’ve never seen なさい used in a sarcastic/questioning way before, so it looked strange to me.

I now realise this is meant to be more of a supposition rather than a direct question, like 「もしも、俺たちが身内同士…?」

Thank you guys :slight_smile:

1 Like