Best N5 material

So, I’m just over halfway in learning the grammar points for N5 level which is pretty sweet.

But, I get a bit overwhelmed over which media and reading materials to use which matches N5 level. There are some reading practise dialogues on here which is useful, as well as some N5 listening tests on Youtube that I go to, but I’m not sure about media.

Shows like Terrace House are a little too complex for me to understand right now. I’ve tried.

I’m thinking of reading and watching books and shows for toddlers. If anyone has any recommendations, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Do you mean native media? I hate to say it but there is basically nothing that someone who is studying N5 level will understand much of at all. There are plenty of resources aimed at learners which would probably be a better fit, if you are interested? In terms of native media, you can force yourself to watch/read easier stuff but it will not feel easy and probably isn’t the best use of your time; if you enjoy it though then by all means try. I think normally it is suggested to wait until you are broadly comfortable with N4 level material before jumping in as even children’s TV will be like banging your head against a brick wall (but even worse because you are also watching children’s TV lol). For lots of learners online their final goal itself is to watch children’s TV (One Piece, etc - okay it isn’t for toddlers but it is still for children).

I actually started with Terrace House myself, pausing a lot and re-watching with English subs then Japanese subs. I was probably around the middle of N4 when I started doing that and it worked but it takes some effort.

8 Likes

Thanks so much.

What you said about N5 not being sufficient enough has got me feeling relieved as I’ve been under the impression that N5 learners can understand media, therefore I felt kinda incompetent and worried about my progress.

I can rest easy now ha.

4 Likes

Good news is you can ease up with pressuring yourself. Bad news is it may be a while before native media feels accessible. If someone tells you they are N5 and can understand native media then they are either lying to you or to themselves.

6 Likes

Totally agree with CursedKitsune.

N5 is simply not enough for anything, including reading easy manga, because you still don’t know enough Kanji at that level. However, check out this website. There’s a lot of freely available reading material you can start using now:

HTH!

5 Likes

I came across this issue when studying Swedish. It was the first foreign language I learned, so I always wanted to measure myself against something, which in most cases was books or TV shows.

In reality I was C1 level (equivalent of N1 in Japanese) before I could watch most shows without feeling overwhelmed.

The problem with levels really for any language is that grading anyone apart from a native speaker by a level is not going to reflect in real life at all for their ability to truly function in that language. Native media is not made for learners of course, so the only thing that is going to be understandable at N5 is something that was made specifically for a learner, but this is not a bad thing.

Search for videos on YouTube that have short dialogues made for learners. If you can understand them, you’re doing really well!

7 Likes

How about this?

There is a complete beginner japanese playlist.
I didn’t really attempt to read any media for natives when I was just starting. Mostly because I found the super easy stuff extremely boring so I just avoided it. I started to try watching/reading stuff after I spent almost 2 years studying and its still difficult.

There is also this website with short stories for children, there are popular ones too so if you already know them maybe it would be easier to read since you already know what they are about:
https://www.douwa-douyou.jp/contents/html/douwa/douwa6.shtml

3 Likes

Personally what I did was replay videogames I already knew well and try and read the dialogue.

Of course at N5 you won’t be able to read the vast majority of the text without looking things up all the time, but I still found that it was valuable practice:

• You can either use your memory of the game to progress, and only scan the text for words/kanji/structures you already know to see how they’re used IRL. You’re not really reading properly if you do that, but it’s always a nice feeling early on when you encounter a word or even sentence you understand in some content you actually care about. And that will reinforce the things you already know.

• Alternatively you can painstakingly try to decode every single line of dialogue by looking everything up. That’s extremely intensive of course and early on you’ll spend 15minutes to read a few lines of text, but I think it can be interesting and motivating because it lets you gauge how much you’ve already learned and how much is left to be learned.

You’ll be able to say “oh ok this word is in the N4 deck, so by the time I’m done with it I’ll know it. And this kanji is at WaniKani level 23, so I’ll know it in x months at my current pace (replace wanikani with whatever kanji learning system you use, if any). And this grammatical construction is in N3…”

I really enjoy doing that even if it’s very difficult at first because it ties the theory with the practice, it gives you concrete objectives and makes all those SRS reviews feel more useful.

And, if all goes well, a year from now you’ll be able to replay the same game and all that text will feel vastly easier to read and you’ll feel good about yourself and your achievements, which is nice too!

I remember the first time I booted up Final Fantasy VII in Japanese a few weeks after starting to study the language, I could basically only decode some basic kana words and the odd kanji, and I basically wouldn’t understand anything but the simplest of sentences (「ポーション」手に入れた was probably the first sentence I managed to understand fully). At that point it was mostly kana reading practice really.

But now I can return to that game and understand almost everything without needing to look anything up and it feels amazing. What was an inscrutable wall of moon runes not so long ago is now something that’s meaningful. It feels like a great achievement!

More generally don’t expect to be able to really engage with native content without a lot of difficulty and having to look things up all the time before you reach roughly N3. It’s only at that point that you start reaching the critical mass of knowledge that lets you read “basic” day-to-day Japanese somewhat comfortably.

Don’t let it demotivate you, see it as a concrete objective that will motivate you to keep pushing through these grammar, kanji and vocab lessons.

5 Likes

Be very skeptical of such claims. People who claim to immerse heavily into native content at N5 are either hiding something (“well ok I took 3 years of Japanese at the university but I barely learned anything”), or are language-learning geniuses, or are outright lying or have an incredible tolerance for dealing with content where you don’t understand 95% of what’s going on and still keep bruteforcing their way through for thousands of hours on end.

For the 99% of us who don’t belong in these categories, it’s just setting yourself up for failure.

3 Likes

1 Like

Thankyou. I’m honestly so happy to see these comments. I feel instantly relieved knowing that I’m doing okay and that slow progress is often quite normal with languages such as Japanese for English learners.

4 Likes

Most of those people are fake. Every time I see the random “Fluent in Japanese in 3 months” YouTube video, I just roll my eyes.

Also, I hate language videos that say “Never say…”. They should instead be titled something along the lines of “Other ways to say…” or so. But you know how it is these days with the click bait.

2 Likes

I am planning to implement listening as part of my learning routine once I finish N5, so I’ve only briefly looked for some suitable media, but I stumbled across the Japanese Sesame Street channel on Youtube and after skimming through some of the videos, I found some dialogue that I could understand almost completely, having barely finished N5. I believe Anpanman is another good one. I’ve also seen people recommend Chibi Maruko-chan, though I haven’t really looked at that one yet. But as you’ve mentioned, basically anything that’s meant for toddlers is probably a good place to start. It’s really important to practise listening as much as possible, but you don’t want to get disheartened by stuff that’s way above your level (I’ve been there too :sweat_smile:).

1 Like

This channel is aimed at beginners and I highly recommend it! There’s a variety of videos including listening practice, vocab videos, and the like. Most are short, but some are longer like the “Tanaka Radio” podcasts. Also, the art style is pretty cute! Plus, most (all?) of the videos have both English and Japanese subs!

1 Like

That website is great. I’m super early in my learning of Japanese, and listening to/reading one of the level 0 books on that site once a week has been good for motivation. Most of it is still above my level, but it’s been helpful to see some of what I’m learning in a new context.

2 Likes

Gonna throw one more hat into the ring of “Don’t feel bad, N5 isn’t enough for native material”!

If you’d like a point of reference, I’m planning to take the N3 in December (whether or not I’ll pass…well, that’s a different question) and I can only handle native level content in small chunks and with quite a range in comprehension. I’ve got enough under my belt that I read manga and listen to video game Let’s Plays or watch movies for practice, sure, but I’m still nowhere close to the sort of brainless ease that I have in English. It just takes time!

Plus, everyone learns at different rates and has their strong and weak points, especially for something as complex as a whole new language. If you want to start with native media at this point, you can! But if you’re just getting confused or frustrated and it doesn’t feel like it’s helping you, then don’t be afraid to stop until you’ve studied a bit more. (Or try a different form of media, or try Japanese audio but with English subtitles…there’s lots of options).

The most important thing is to just keep plugging along. You’ll get there :relaxed:

6 Likes

Yeah, N5 is for like barely comprehensible japanese. It’s very much so a “hello, how are you today?” level.
Personally n5, n4 feel about the same. I’d want to say I’m approaching N3 in most regards, however I can barely understand anime and manga, I can undestand what theyre saying but I wouldn’t say I understand it. (if that makes sense) as others have said, you need to be pretty intermediate or advanced before being able to truly comprehend anything.

2 Likes

I have a website on which I publish very easy to understand content that slowly increases in difficulty for people who just started learning Japanese. And it’s actually fun to read.
You might want to give it a go : https://drdru.github.io/stories/intro.html.

Related thread.

2 Likes

Thank you Ayara. Yes, my biggest mistake when language learning was to compare myself to other learners and then feel terrible and incompetent because other people could learn faster or be super focused when I couldn’t. It’s a pretty toxic habit and can put one off learning. As a result, I’m still a beginner more than 10 years after repeated attempts. This time, though, I’d like to think I’ve become a bit wiser. :slight_smile:

I do love watching Terrace House, so right now I can understand snippets and very short simple sentences.

My approach is to cover all N5 grammar points on here, then having become familiar start with listening practise.

2 Likes

Yea, honestly, these videos simply seem designed to catch in viewers and make some coin.

Unless one is a genius or already has a bunch of languages under their belt, including one(s) that are grammatically similar to Japanese, I don’t believe it can be learnt so quickly.

2 Likes