Best N5 material

How about this?

There is a complete beginner japanese playlist.
I didn’t really attempt to read any media for natives when I was just starting. Mostly because I found the super easy stuff extremely boring so I just avoided it. I started to try watching/reading stuff after I spent almost 2 years studying and its still difficult.

There is also this website with short stories for children, there are popular ones too so if you already know them maybe it would be easier to read since you already know what they are about:
https://www.douwa-douyou.jp/contents/html/douwa/douwa6.shtml

3 Likes

Personally what I did was replay videogames I already knew well and try and read the dialogue.

Of course at N5 you won’t be able to read the vast majority of the text without looking things up all the time, but I still found that it was valuable practice:

• You can either use your memory of the game to progress, and only scan the text for words/kanji/structures you already know to see how they’re used IRL. You’re not really reading properly if you do that, but it’s always a nice feeling early on when you encounter a word or even sentence you understand in some content you actually care about. And that will reinforce the things you already know.

• Alternatively you can painstakingly try to decode every single line of dialogue by looking everything up. That’s extremely intensive of course and early on you’ll spend 15minutes to read a few lines of text, but I think it can be interesting and motivating because it lets you gauge how much you’ve already learned and how much is left to be learned.

You’ll be able to say “oh ok this word is in the N4 deck, so by the time I’m done with it I’ll know it. And this kanji is at WaniKani level 23, so I’ll know it in x months at my current pace (replace wanikani with whatever kanji learning system you use, if any). And this grammatical construction is in N3…”

I really enjoy doing that even if it’s very difficult at first because it ties the theory with the practice, it gives you concrete objectives and makes all those SRS reviews feel more useful.

And, if all goes well, a year from now you’ll be able to replay the same game and all that text will feel vastly easier to read and you’ll feel good about yourself and your achievements, which is nice too!

I remember the first time I booted up Final Fantasy VII in Japanese a few weeks after starting to study the language, I could basically only decode some basic kana words and the odd kanji, and I basically wouldn’t understand anything but the simplest of sentences (「ポーション」手に入れた was probably the first sentence I managed to understand fully). At that point it was mostly kana reading practice really.

But now I can return to that game and understand almost everything without needing to look anything up and it feels amazing. What was an inscrutable wall of moon runes not so long ago is now something that’s meaningful. It feels like a great achievement!

More generally don’t expect to be able to really engage with native content without a lot of difficulty and having to look things up all the time before you reach roughly N3. It’s only at that point that you start reaching the critical mass of knowledge that lets you read “basic” day-to-day Japanese somewhat comfortably.

Don’t let it demotivate you, see it as a concrete objective that will motivate you to keep pushing through these grammar, kanji and vocab lessons.

5 Likes

Be very skeptical of such claims. People who claim to immerse heavily into native content at N5 are either hiding something (“well ok I took 3 years of Japanese at the university but I barely learned anything”), or are language-learning geniuses, or are outright lying or have an incredible tolerance for dealing with content where you don’t understand 95% of what’s going on and still keep bruteforcing their way through for thousands of hours on end.

For the 99% of us who don’t belong in these categories, it’s just setting yourself up for failure.

3 Likes

1 Like

Thankyou. I’m honestly so happy to see these comments. I feel instantly relieved knowing that I’m doing okay and that slow progress is often quite normal with languages such as Japanese for English learners.

4 Likes

Most of those people are fake. Every time I see the random “Fluent in Japanese in 3 months” YouTube video, I just roll my eyes.

Also, I hate language videos that say “Never say…”. They should instead be titled something along the lines of “Other ways to say…” or so. But you know how it is these days with the click bait.

2 Likes

I am planning to implement listening as part of my learning routine once I finish N5, so I’ve only briefly looked for some suitable media, but I stumbled across the Japanese Sesame Street channel on Youtube and after skimming through some of the videos, I found some dialogue that I could understand almost completely, having barely finished N5. I believe Anpanman is another good one. I’ve also seen people recommend Chibi Maruko-chan, though I haven’t really looked at that one yet. But as you’ve mentioned, basically anything that’s meant for toddlers is probably a good place to start. It’s really important to practise listening as much as possible, but you don’t want to get disheartened by stuff that’s way above your level (I’ve been there too :sweat_smile:).

1 Like

This channel is aimed at beginners and I highly recommend it! There’s a variety of videos including listening practice, vocab videos, and the like. Most are short, but some are longer like the “Tanaka Radio” podcasts. Also, the art style is pretty cute! Plus, most (all?) of the videos have both English and Japanese subs!

1 Like

That website is great. I’m super early in my learning of Japanese, and listening to/reading one of the level 0 books on that site once a week has been good for motivation. Most of it is still above my level, but it’s been helpful to see some of what I’m learning in a new context.

2 Likes

Gonna throw one more hat into the ring of “Don’t feel bad, N5 isn’t enough for native material”!

If you’d like a point of reference, I’m planning to take the N3 in December (whether or not I’ll pass…well, that’s a different question) and I can only handle native level content in small chunks and with quite a range in comprehension. I’ve got enough under my belt that I read manga and listen to video game Let’s Plays or watch movies for practice, sure, but I’m still nowhere close to the sort of brainless ease that I have in English. It just takes time!

Plus, everyone learns at different rates and has their strong and weak points, especially for something as complex as a whole new language. If you want to start with native media at this point, you can! But if you’re just getting confused or frustrated and it doesn’t feel like it’s helping you, then don’t be afraid to stop until you’ve studied a bit more. (Or try a different form of media, or try Japanese audio but with English subtitles…there’s lots of options).

The most important thing is to just keep plugging along. You’ll get there :relaxed:

6 Likes

Yeah, N5 is for like barely comprehensible japanese. It’s very much so a “hello, how are you today?” level.
Personally n5, n4 feel about the same. I’d want to say I’m approaching N3 in most regards, however I can barely understand anime and manga, I can undestand what theyre saying but I wouldn’t say I understand it. (if that makes sense) as others have said, you need to be pretty intermediate or advanced before being able to truly comprehend anything.

2 Likes

I have a website on which I publish very easy to understand content that slowly increases in difficulty for people who just started learning Japanese. And it’s actually fun to read.
You might want to give it a go : https://drdru.github.io/stories/intro.html.

Related thread.

2 Likes

Thank you Ayara. Yes, my biggest mistake when language learning was to compare myself to other learners and then feel terrible and incompetent because other people could learn faster or be super focused when I couldn’t. It’s a pretty toxic habit and can put one off learning. As a result, I’m still a beginner more than 10 years after repeated attempts. This time, though, I’d like to think I’ve become a bit wiser. :slight_smile:

I do love watching Terrace House, so right now I can understand snippets and very short simple sentences.

My approach is to cover all N5 grammar points on here, then having become familiar start with listening practise.

2 Likes

Yea, honestly, these videos simply seem designed to catch in viewers and make some coin.

Unless one is a genius or already has a bunch of languages under their belt, including one(s) that are grammatically similar to Japanese, I don’t believe it can be learnt so quickly.

2 Likes

Even then, it can’t be possible. There are cultural aspects to the language to take into account as well. If it was a year, that’s more possible. But not 3 months.

1 Like

And that’s already more than you could do previously! Always gotta recognize the little victories :+1:

2 Likes

Besides graded readers, which I haven’t used much of, I agree with @simias suggestion of replaying videogames. Steam has a nice feature that you can change the language in the settings and download the other language’s content; so I use that all the time for games that I played to try it again in Japanese. I don’t try to read and understand everything in that case since I can always fall back on my memory for the gist of the plot, but I try to keep my immersion to a comfortable level.

I do play Japanese games and visual novels and read some manga that are untranslated however, and while I’m at technically at a N5 level on Bunpro because I haven’t dedicated enough time to work through N4 and N3 yet (I’m over 2 years into my Anki study and only learned about Bunpro maybe half a year ago), I’m basically teaching myself Japanese by looking up lots of words and concepts and memorizing the most frequent that I come across, so a lot of the N5 and probably N4 grammar feels already somewhat familiar to me. I do this for a variety of media types to accumulate a less focused lexicon. A lot of it feels slow and is probably inefficient however, so I wouldn’t recommend this approach to a lot of people, but I have my own goals that I’m working on.

As an example, I’ve been replaying Elden Ring in Japanese, and to accompany that, I’ve been reading this website for build and boss guides, that I found from this google search 「Elden Ring 防御力説明」which means for Elden Ring defense power explanation. エルデンリング攻略Wiki - 神ゲー攻略

I don’t aim for 100% comprehension, more like just enough so that I can get enough use out of my learning, or to be able to entertain myself from reading a story. Tutorials are great because you can get achievable results even if you’re not comprehending all the details.

So anyways, my suggestion would be to try to find something specific that you’d like to experience in Japanese natively and figure out a path that’ll get you there sooner, such as having a separate vocabulary deck for your own journey. For example, if you are an aspiring artist, you could mine tons of words and concepts from Clip Studio Paint tutorials for example, and follow other artists on social media. Written tutorials would probably be easier. If you don’t have something like that, you can try out something new. Or, you can simply keep learning and eventually you’ll get to that level anyway.

4 Likes

While native stuff might feel a bit far off, here are some suggestions for working up to it ^^

Podcasts: I really liked Nihongo Con Teppei for early listening practice. He doesn’t speak unbearably slow, instead repeats stuff a lot and gives lots of examples e.g. どんな料理が好きですか?どんな料理が好きですか?甘い料理が好きですか?辛い料理が好きですか?ご飯好きですか?麺が好きですか?僕はめん好きですよ。うどんとらめんとそばを食べます。etc etc, not actually a transcript i just made it up in the style of the podcast but as you can see, even if you don’t understand a word, for example 料理, he gives examples like sweet or spicy, then rice or noodles, which kind of helps you figure out what that word means without the english translation (cooking/food). So I’d suggest trying that, its on spotify, about 5 min for one episode and like hundreds and hundreds of them. Theres also easy and harder versions too.

Manga: (maybe not starting straight away because it is quite difficult to be able to, but you could probably do this after N5/start of N4 stuff)
For starters, pick an easy manga, preferably that you’ve read or watched in english/english subtitles before. Its best to purchase a physical copy for this. (With furigana)
Start with the first page or couple of the whole chapter and read through it, if you rely entirely on the furigana thats algs too.
After reading the first couple pages or however many you did(I like to do just a couple of pages maybe 2 or 3) grab a pencil and read through a second time, but this time, when you come across a kanji that you know, cross out the furigana with the pencil.
Either during that time, or after, I go through and search up the words I don’t know and write the meanings in pencil next to the japanese words. Then I pick the most useful looking words(or search them all up and add the JLPT n3 and below or whatever), and add them to my bunpro queue(of if you use anki or smth else u could do that too).
Then like a week later, after you’ve learnt more of the words, you go back to the manga, and erase the translations of the words you’ve learnt (and maybe cross out the furigana if you know the readings now), then re-read.
Repeat!
It’s a bit slow, and focusing on learning rather than enjoyment but its a good way to start reading! As you continue it gets a bit faster since you will know more words. The struggle with this is if you don’t know all the grammar yet, so focus on studying grammar, and skip over the stuff you don’t know.
Theres a site called Natively or learnnatively, which grades japanese and korean manga, novels, kids books, video games, anime, etc so you can look through to see what would be at your level. The N5 stuff is very limited in the manga section, but if you follow what i suggested, you can do stuff thats a bit harder too

Kids books: theres lots of reading practice stuff for JLPT n5 level online, heres some links of stuff I used:

I hope some of this helped!

6 Likes

Thank you for your advice and all these lovely resources. I shall certainly look into them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Learn to Read in Japanese, Vol. I, by Lake and Ura is really the best place to start reading. They teach you the language for scratch, assuming you know next to nothing, and systematically build up your reading ability, while continually reinforcing what you already know. It’s a 3 part series.