Best Way To Use Bunpro to Study Grammar and Vocab?

Hello! I’m just getting into using Bunpro for Grammar but I’d like to use it for Vocab too. I’m just starting out with my Japanese studies so I’m at the N5 level for sure. I have Genki I set as my Grammar Guide and am using that as I guess my “Path”. But is there a recommended way to do Vocab too? I’m doing Wanikani at the same time but I’ll take my information from any source! Absorb it all :smiley:

3 Likes

They have vocab hidden behind an opt in.

You have to go to here in your account and opt into beta

This forum post shows exactly what you are opting into.

Then you’ll want to go to

Which is where the vocab is, they get added directly to your reviews so your reviews will be a mix of vocab and grammar, but you can force the site to only give you one if you prefer.

When adding vocab there are multiple ways to add vocab.
There is manual which is just they show you the point and you say what it is in english
There is also cloze which is where you get a sentence and you have to type the kana for the point.

They also don’t always call them manual or cloze but sometimes they call it input and translate. I don’t know why.

BEYOND all that guff, it’s a very useful feature and I’d be surprised if you didn’t like it

3 Likes

Oh I do have that enabled! So go to the decks then. I assume I’d just do Bunpro N5? I started that one but it started with what I would have considered difficult lol. It started with Car No 1. This was just way different than what I’ve been seeing on Wanikani so I noped out for the time being. If that’s just what N5 is then I’ll go back to it haha.

Thank you for the help!

Not sure which Genki deck you have enabled, but there should be one that is a mix of both vocab and grammar. I believe it’s order based off the lessons in the book.

So I saw that too. I’m already doing the Genki I Path too. Will adding this combined Grammar and Vocab deck throw things off or duplicate things?

I’m not 100% on the interactions between two specific decks, but I do know that if you have learned a grammar point from say the N5 path, it shows up as studied in the Genki deck. So in terms of duplication, I think you’ll be okay?

The decks are by default in alphabetical order
I believe if you go to the deck settings by clicking on the deck (not the learn button) it will pull up a page, and then in the top right area there is a deck settings button. From there you can change up the deck and change the order although I don’t very well know the orders.

Not two specific decks. The Genki I Grammar Path and the mixed Deck you posted above. But your point seems to stand because I see I have some items completed in the mixed deck

@mods is there a timeline for vocab coming out of beta?

I am not enrolled in beta, but I see all sorts of vocab related stuff in the ui, just no way to use it.

2 Likes