Better transitive/intransitive review method

I’m not a fan of the question asking you to pick the opposite transitivity verb, mostly because Bunpro has drilled into us to use the verb in the brackets in the answer. I think instead you should put both the transitive and intransitive verbs in the brackets like [下がる•下げる] so it’s clearer that you have to pick one.

3 Likes

@BunproAdmin Did you have any thoughts on this suggestion?

Thank you for the suggestion. That is indeed something we should look into. I can definitely see where there would be confusion with the provided verb always being the one to use, but that not being the case for these sentences.

I believe our goal here was to force the user to produce the transitive/intransitive verb. We will give it some thought and see if there is a way to reduce the confusion but still force the production.

1 Like

Right now, the user is simply required to have memorized the two verbs in a random verb pair. This doesn’t really test knowledge of transitivity since they know to always use the one you don’t give. If you give both verbs, the user still has to know which is transitive and which is intransitive, and they have to know which one is used with が and which one is used with を.

1 Like

transitive by definition must have an object (を).

Yes obviously, but the purpose of the grammar point is to help reinforce that for people who don’t know it as well as you and I do.

1 Like

I found this video very helpful : https://youtu.be/ELk1dqaEmyk
One issue is that there are not really “transitive” and “intransive” verbs., there are “self-moving” verbs related to ある and “other-moving” verbs related to する.
Starting from here there are three /Four basic patterns which she describes:
す (and せる)ending is always “other moving” (think する)
あ stem + る = self moving (think ある)
え stem + る = flips from one to another.
I’m still a bit confused on this, but it is true there is not nearly enough info on how these changes are made.
This should definitely be upgraded.