Bunpro Beta [Updated Jan 23rd, 2022]

息子と娘について話しています

Slightly odd question, but will grammar points that aren’t apart of the JLPT/Lesson level ever be clickable in some way? I really like having the ability to click on something and it shows the brief prompt. Maybe outlier grammar (depending on your definition of grammar vs. just a vocab word) don’t need to get included in the highlighting function but I think especially in the above quote for actual N5 readers they will probably get thrown off guard by について and have to manually look it up. Either way, the reading practice has been such a blast to use so far even if some of the content is easy, what an addition!

New:

• There is now a toggle furigana button that will toggle all furigana for that specific reading section.

Bug fixes

• Bug with superscript being sideways and overlapping text when in vertical mode.

@EdBunpro That is probably a good idea. Outlier grammar is definitely within the realm of reason, doing every grammar might make it tough to highlight/differentiate grammar from the specific lesson. I am really happy to hear that you are enjoying the reading practice. N4 should be out end of next week :+1:

1 Like

Lesson 7 reading 2 「ウォーキング」has a section highlighted 「で10kmあるいたのが一番」that brings up the grammar point for どれ instead and it looks like part of the「~のなかで」was cut out somehow. In the following sentence I’m guessing こーす was supposed to be コース.

Lesson 7 reading 1 「旅行」seems to have a stray footnote in the last line of the Japanese text and the numbers are off by one in the English text.

1 Like

The reading practice feature is really great. Since I love checking off items, it would be great if we could mark texts as read. The overview page could then indicate whether there are unread texts behind the links.

8 Likes

Started looking more carefully at the reading practice. These are great! Being able to click to a grammar point immediately is awesome, and I’m still learning things! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
(I was thinking this is probably too basic for me. Nope.)

2 Likes

I think the highlighted grammar could be a little less dramatic. I’d want something to just indicate whether a word is clickable or not – something more subtle so that the rest of the sentence is still readable. (maybe just underline? underline w color change?)

4 Likes

One idea that came to is that what if when when you learn a grammar point the words in that grammar point are added to your queue automatically, or even ahead of time so that when you come to review a sentence you have already been exposed to the vocabulary it contains?

3 Likes

Hey there! I’m not sure if this is the right place or time for this suggestion, but I’ll try anyway!

I would love to have the option to create custom decks with custom vocabs! Why do I want this? My current goal is to be able to read an easy manga (Chi’s Sweet Home for starters). To do this, I need to be able to read some Kanji, to understand grammar and to know the other words that appear. These other words can be kanji vocabs that don’t appear on WaniKani (like technical terms), kana vocabs, names, places etc.
For Kanji, I use WaniKani
For Grammar, I use Bunpro
For Vocabs, I use Anki with a custom deck

But with the decks feature, I see that Bunpro potentially has the possibility to replace Anki for me (or maybe kitsun.io for someone else)!

The ability to make custom decks public to share a grammar/vocab deck for a specific manga (or any type of media) with other Bunpro users would be even better (comparable to AnkiWeb), but this is probably the step after that.

3 Likes

Custom decks are on our goals for Decks! So just sit tight. :partying_face: Thank you for the comment!

4 Likes

There seem to be quite a few mistakes on WaniKani import for this one.

This was especially true Hiragana-only and Katakana words that I learned on WK.

On a few occasions this was also true for kanji vocab missed, though this was very rare.

Hi, Im new to bunpro website and also app. I love all the features and it eases my pathway to learn Japanese.

As Im trying the beta app, it would be great if the “play (play sound)” button can be larger.

It would be good if the listening part can be continuous (all the sentence are all in one audio) and can be stopped with spacebar shortcut. kinda like JLPT listening test. Thank you for your consideration.

1 Like