Bunpro Book club (Intermediate)

I’m in too, I hope I commit enough time to be active throughout the read. I don’t really have a preference for a book

3 Likes

Man y’all have some good suggestions. Didn’t even vote for my own! :laughing:

2 Likes

Makes sense, I didn’t poke at the innards!! Looking at the unique words yeaaaah it does seem hard (too hard for me at this point!)

2 Likes

Figured out how to get my kindle to accept JP books and am excited to see the massive number of highlights of words I don’t know.

2 Likes

Looks like im about to head off to Book Off and pick up my copy of スーパーカブ!

2 Likes

Voting over! Winner - スーパーカブ
More details to follow soon.

12 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Make sure you get the correct version of スーパーカブ. There’s a novel, which is what we’re gonna be reading, and there’s also a manga (which we are not reading here).

Also, for those who don’t want to create a Japanese Amazon account, you can purchase this on Book Walker or Book Live. You still have to create an account, but it’s just your email, then they send you a confirmation link where you can add a password. That’s pretty much it. No need to enter a Japanese address.

HTH!

3 Likes

Wait, there is a tie. both スーパーカブ and 君の名は are 37%.

3 Likes

In the event of ties we are going to be going with suggestions based on time. More info on this will be available in the official rules that I will be posting a bit later today. We also have a lot more thorough rules for other books going forward as well. Additionally in terms of ties, we may potentially have two simultaneous groups, should there be enough participants to warrant it.

3 Likes

Official book club rules available for viewing here. Keep in mind that these are rules that have been created based on our best estimate of how book clubs will proceed. Things may change in the future.

I will also be editing the original content of this post to better reflect a long term starting point and guide for users that join this level.

6 Likes

Bought the first volume! It is even currently on sale on Bookwalker, if someone wants to buy it there.

2 Likes

Just a heads up regarding Amazon Japan. I signed up a few weeks ago from Australia and there was no requirement for a Japanese address. I’ve had two deliveries since then and all has been well, delivery times have both been 8 days.

2 Likes

Your suggestion is now in the Advanced book club group. If it somehow gets voted at some point, join in and have a go! :smiley:

4 Likes

Yay thank you! I’m doing solidly with スーパーカブ (with lots of vocab lookup) so maybe will do Advanced next round to challenge self!!

2 Likes

I’ve been grinding through it as well and it’s so cool I understand the gist of things even if I am looking up at least one word every sentence. I can tell reading more types of things is going to be something I need to spend a lot of time doing moving forward.

4 Likes

Same! It’s both forcing me to look up so many words and also slow down in a way I really need when studying, and wanting to know what’s going to happen next is great motivation?

3 Likes

Very interesting to see book clubs pop up!

I might join in the future if the book catches my interest.

There’s nothing worse than trying to read something in a difficult language you are learning if you are not interested/invested in the text :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Super Cub thread discussion now live. From now, please move all Super Cub related discussion here -

スーパーカブ discussion (Intermediate) April 2024

1 Like

Hi!

I just wanted to put in a new suggestion before I forget: 「時をかける少女」 by 筒井 康隆. I guess this might be in the upper intermediate level.

In fact, I would recommend any book by Tsutsui.

2 Likes

I’d like to suggest また、同じ夢を見ていた as a novel, although I’m not sure whether it should be beginner or intermediate? I’d be inclined to say the latter because it’s a novel + isn’t full furigana, but Iunno.

2 Likes