Bunpro FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

I think this is mostly an issue with the term “XP”. In most contexts that word is used said XP is a resource that can be generated indefinitely, while instead in Bunpro it’s a finite resource.

I’m not sure the following would be a good change, but if the “XP” on Bunpro was instead called “BP” (Bunpro Points) or something akin to that it’s possible that someone would accept a little more seeing them being taken away after a reset.

3 Likes

Hi there. Could you expand on “most contexts” some more? I’m only familiar with XP as “experience points”, like in Dungeons & Dragons, where it’s something that you can gain and lose, as a means to an end, and not a goal by itself. Is this about most video gaming contexts?

3 Likes

Hello hello. I was talking about disconnect between the usual concept of “Experience Point” (in roleplaying games, videogames, gamified system, etc.) and the Bunpro “XP”.

The difference that I wanted to point out is that usually (I’d say 99% of the times) “Experience Points” are gained through repeatable tasks, and potentially there is an infinite amount to be gained. It doesn’t matter if the XP can be drained by Vampires, or that there is an EXP cap that someone can reach. With a very boring DM a party could just slay indefinitely thousands of Kobolds.

Bunpro is very different: there are no repeatable tasks that generate “Experience”, instead the “XP” tally is the sum of the highest level one has ever reached in the SRS for of the grammar points they have studied. Bunpro “XP” just cannot be “grinded” in any way.

I vastly prefer the latter, but I can understand someone mistaking it for something else.

5 Likes

I just want to chime in that I’m in love with the current EXP-system :heart_eyes: I feel accomplished raising it and watching it increase together with the JLPT progress. I much prefer seeing the levels as rough measures of japanese grammar ability than as a measure of how many reviews someone has done. That way I think the levels can convey more interesting information on the forums too if someone chooses to share their level publicly.

8 Likes

I did this as well, and I am only just now back to where I was Two years ago.

I think that this is fine personally.

1 Like

I’m probably being stupid, but how do I reset everything? I’d like a clean slate because I tried the site out a while ago, but I’ve now subscribed.

I have a question about this - what if you keep getting new sentences incorrect and move them to ghosts, if there aren’t enough sentences will it just overflow to the first sentence as a “new” review?

How can I view this on mobile device? I don’t see XP for example.

2 Likes

I believe you probably want to use their mobile app
Unless you mean the app isnt working for you

Here is a link to the forum post about the app release (they’ve been updating it or so I’m told)

The links for app download are in the first comment I believe.
Hope this helps

1 Like

Superpnut, I have the iOS app installed. I don’t see the XP points or levels.

1 Like

Did XP change? I recently got an item to adept 1 (level 4) and it gave me 100XP. Earlier today I also did about a dozen reviews on some fairly new items and got more than 1000XP.

2 Likes

What’s the workflow for studying vocab? On my desktop browser, I can seemingly only go to content → vocab search and search for specific vocab. On the Android app, I can also view a list of all the N5 vocab, where I can separately add them to my reviews. But they never seem to show up as lessons. So am I meant to just pick and choose each vocab item I want to study from the list separately or am I missing something here?

1 Like

Is there somewhere from the front page/dashboard that shows decks? For example the Kansai deck, how do I access that from the dashboard?

1 Like

This is a bug that should be fixed really soon!

You’re meant to go through the Decks system!
This should show up in your navbar if you’re signed up for the Beta – which you should be if you’re using the Vocab system.
Deck page can be found here :+1:

1 Like

Not yet!
We’re gonna do a large Decks overhaul in the next year or so (don’t quote me on that) which will likely include a Deck-specific overhaul.

1 Like

Indeed I was not in the beta. The option showed up as soon as I opted in. Thank you!

1 Like

Are the SRS intervals still accurate?

They should be, but I’ve seen a few people on the forums, mostly those with older accounts, mention that some items have buggy SRS levels. This also happened to me with a lot of items in my beginner Q showing that their next review would be after 2 months. This shouldn’t be possible. To fix it I just went to those items’ pages and manually reset the SRS level to the previous SRS level.

@veritas_nz also made a script that can run all of your items and reset the buggy ones if you have more than just a few of them.

This comment includes how to reset the items manually.

1 Like