Bunpro's bad SRS algorithm is discouraging

Thank you so much!!!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot. I’ve run into similar grammar learning challenges around the seasoned SRS levels where I’m trying to convert my learning from medium short term memorized content (several weeks to about a month) into long term understanding.

I find that I’ve done one of the following: Forget the grammar point, partially remember the grammar point but get it confused with grammars that have similar structure, remember other grammar points that have similar meanings and struggle with distinguishing between the nuance of those grammar points (for example, there are about 15 different grammar points that translate to “Even if”).

It would be nice if there were review questions like Effective Japanese Usage Guide: A Concise Explanation of Frequently Confused Words and Phrases for Bunpo grammar, where you are tested specifically on nuance between similar grammar points. Usually, I have to get something wrong to discover how the nuance differs from another point. Maybe in addition to the steeper SRS knockdown, a new cram tab could be added to quickly add grammar points that have a similar translation or have a similar construction. In the long term, maybe there could be a boss battle grammar gauntlet mode to specifically address nuance and confusion with similar grammars once you hit a certain medium high SRS level.

Even when reaching moderately high SRS levels, I find I sometimes have to spend a minute or two trying to recall the context around the grammar point before actually remembering it. I think the best solution for all of this right now is to cram entire sections of a JLPT N level at once.

11 Likes

Easy solution, reset progress on that item manually

Actually I think it updated and now you can set your SRS to drop to zero on failure

1 Like

I was not part of the original discussion, but you can do that now. Under the general tab, you can set SRS strictness in review settings.

3 Likes

Follow-up

The first iteration of the planned SRS changes was implemented. In this phase we released:

Updated SRS timings
The changed SRS timings are:

• 7 - 12 days [down 2 days)
  • 8 - 24 days [down 6 days]
  • 9 - 48 days (~7 weeks) [down 12 days]
  • 10 - 96 days (~ 13 weeks) [down 24 days]
  • 11 - 176 days (23 weeks) [down 4 days]

These are the interval that is set for the next review after you get the review correct. So if you are at streak 6, get the review right and go to streak 7, your next review would be in 12 days.

The timing update also included changes to the time interval after getting a review wrong and going down in streak.

We didn’t adjust existing reviews to use these new time intervals, however this change was silently pushed so many of your reviews may already be using the new timing.

SRS Strictness
Implemented @akkim2 's suggestion to choose more than just (-1) to the streak when you get it wrong. This is available under the “General” section in https://bunpro.jp/settings/reviews. The options are [1, 2, 3, Half, Full].

In the case of [Half], the number of levels you drop is half of your streak rounded up. So if you are at streak 7 and get it wrong, you go back to streak 4 ( 7 / 2 = 3.5, which rounds up to 4).

In the case of [Full] you go all the way down, so use with caution!

The default SRS strictness is set at [1].

In a future update we will include changes to how ghost reviews are timed and also add an option in an advanced settings section to allow you to use FSRS.

As you use the new timings and SRS strictness settings, we would love to hear any feedback you have, especially if you feel the changes are helping.

As always, thank you to everyone for the feedback and discussion. It helped guide us toward making the necessary adjustments :bowing_man: !

39 Likes

Shouldn’t it be streak 3 if it rounds down?

1 Like

Sorry that wasn’t clearer, it rounds down the amount of SRS decrease.

So half of 7 would be 3.5 which is rounded down to 3. That 3 is what is used as the number of steps to go down.

I edited my post so it was more clear. In retrospect, I could have just said the srs is cut in half rounded up :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

Very cool to have these options now, I’ll try out the half setting and see how it goes

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! This is outstanding!

3 Likes

I haven’t verified this with multiple attempts, but despite setting my SRS setting to “Half” I think I saw an item go from Seasoned 1 to Adept 3 today, which shouldn’t happen, right? Or are there any limitations on previously existing reviews?

1 Like

[Just posting here as well so that other users can also see]

This was indeed a bug and the issue has now been fixed!
It should accurately display your Review’s new level now.

Good news is, this bug was a display issue, which means your Review’s progress should be accurate from when you set that setting.

3 Likes

I’ve set mine to “half” a few days ago and I love it already. Ghosts always felt like a chore, but getting a different question to something you failed in a timely manner is nice, and getting it right because it’s only been a bit since you failed it feels good :slight_smile:

Thanks for making that change!

(And I’m thinking of just turning ghosts completely off. Not sure if there’s much of a point to them anymore.)

10 Likes

Of course this doesn’t solve the SRS issue but I love this option nonetheless, I just switched to a more strict SRS and turned off ghosts.
It seems like a much better option to me as it avoids getting 5 repetitions of a single sentence.

6 Likes

Commenting as I too have turned on the stricter SRS (Just 1 → 2) and find it already a great improvement. The grammar points I keep failing now trickle down back into the early stages much more often allowing me properly practice those points.

3 Likes

Any idea when this option will come to the mobile app? I’m eager to check these features, but for now they are only available on desktop.

2 Likes

Other than the setting not being available in the app, these changes are global. So if you set it via the website, it will still impact your next review timing and apply the srs strictness.

9 Likes

Is there a way to have different SRS stricter level for vocab and grammar? Or is it not recommended? I would like it to be more strict on grammar than for vocab.

7 Likes

In a future update we will include changes to how ghost reviews are timed and also add an option in an advanced settings section to allow you to use FSRS.

Do you have any timeframe on when this will be? Would it be by the end of the year? Since I’ve started using FSRS for Anki (and found it so amazing), I am slightly more reluctant to use Bunpro’s SRS if FSRS hasn’t been implemented yet.

It might potentially be sometime before end of the year. We have other things in progress that we want to finish up before this would be slotted in. I’ll be sure to do a post about it when we do release it though, along with a notification.

2 Likes