BunPyro - New Android App (WIP)

It seems like the app fails to parse a specific thing in your grammar data. Thank you for the report, I will investigate it right now. I might come back to you if I need more details :slight_smile:

I’m glad that you like it! I wasn’t sure it was going to be useful since it doesn’t include reviews right now, so it’s nice to hear.

That’s an easy improvement, I’m going to include it in the next version.

I totally agree that the UI needs some work right now. I plan to add a dialog to explain that it will sync in background (and that it will take a while), a progress bar on the home screen and a “done” message in the home screen.

However I don’t want to spend too much time improving this right now, because it’s more like a quick fix until I have an API that returns a diff of the data (i.e. only what I need to update). Having this kind of API, BunPyro would update automatically when opened and every day when not opened. The sync time (30s~2min) would also decrease dramatically.

I’m a little bit struggling with Android to have a good display both when the title fits on a single line and when it needs two lines (for example, さいわい・さいわいなことに and としたら・とすれば・とすると).

I will see if I can improve it quickly, otherwise I might pass. Here’s what I want it to look like.

Oh. That’s a nice bug. Will fix it. ._.

I want to have both. I added filters because I plan to add study based filters as well (“Studied” and “Non studied”). And I think it makes sense for filters to be persisted. Collapsing/expanding by using the header can be quicker, but I’m not really sure that it should be persisted if the user closes the app.

3 Likes

Thank you for telling me about this! I will definitely look into it if I ever want to make any more BP scripts! The official API is useless

2 Likes

Haven’t found anything weird, yet. Thanks for making this app, I think I’m going to use it a lot! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve just released version 0.3.1.
It should already be available on the Play Store.

Changelog 0.3.1

Added

• Highlight query in search results using color

Fixed

• Fixed the sync not working for some users
  • Fixed the filter dialog auto closing after navigating back

@kthxbye If you try again using this version, do you still have the same issue? I think that I’ve fixed it.

2 Likes

Yes it works! Nice work. Thanks!
However, now I realize that there are no reviews (you’ve stated this in your OP). Since I already finished all my lessons I’ll have to wait until this is developed. Any idea when the API will support this?

2 Likes

The app is getting better and better. Thanks for the update, works great. I found one search related issue, where the cause is probably on Bunpro’s side:

Type “doesn” and it will find all grammar points with “doesn’t”

But if you type “doesn’t” it only finds two grammar points cause the others don’t use a standard single quote but " ` " instead :smiley:

4 Likes

The BunPro team gave me the latest API documentation, and it seems that I can use it to implement reviews in BunPyro :tada:
However, it wouldn’t work offline, and I still can’t implement Cram.

I will first add audio to the grammar point example, then look into building the review screen.
It might take a while though.

Ahhh, not gonna fix that on my side, it’s indeed the data :smile:

4 Likes

This app is great man, super awesome for on the go. Will probably become my to-go-app as the grammar-equivalent to Akebi… Thanks for the work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just downloaded it.
ありがとうございました!

2 Likes

Sometimes the grammar is not highlighted within the example sentences. Look at the なんか/なんて grammar point for example, sometimes it is highlighted, sometimes not.

Great to hear you are working on the review feature as well, this will be a real relief for mobile users of Bunpro!

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! I’ve noticed it too in the べき grammar point in the past but just shrugged it off as it was missing from the API response.
Now that I look at it again, it seems that the API only tells “please highlight this” when it can’t be deduced from the grammar point name.

I will try to implement a fix and include it in the next version.

1 Like

Yo dude, your app looks great! My only gripe at all is that the night mode version of the blue is a litttle too bright, making it a touch hard to read.

As for the stable offline search, for me this would be a huge plus. The search feature not working on the old app always made it a pain for me to ‘confirm’ things when I needed to really quickly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!

Just to understand a little bit more about the dark mode colors issue, could you tell me which one you would like to see updated?

The (1) color should not have a blue background, but rather a dark background with light text, I will fix it.
I think you’re refering to the brightest blue (2) and (5), which should indeed be less bright.
Does the (3) and (4) work well for you?

3 Likes

Yo, for me 1, 3 and 4 look the same, They are just a touch too dark (compared to the background) Either if they were a touch lighter, or the background a touch lighter, it would be far more readable.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, will look into that :+1:

3 Likes

The release 0.3.4 is now available on the Play Store!

Changelog 0.3.4

Added

• Selectable text for a grammar point’s name, details (structure, caution, …) and examples
  • Studied and not studied filters for all grammar
  • Setting to control the default visibility of example details
  • Review button with review count (that redirects to Bunpro for now)
  • Better UX for the manual sync

Fixed

• Some examples were not highlighted properly
  • Prevent navigation to an incomplete grammar point

@farine @Anthropos888 you were both waiting for the selectable text in grammar details. It’s now available!

6 Likes

The app is getting better and better, thanks for your work! The display of due reviews is great and refreshes instantly. I already replaced the Android shortcut to Bunpro with your app cause it’s so convenient to see the number of due reviews and start reviewing with one click.

Are you going to include the statistics and a review heatmap later as well?

5 Likes

:heart:

I can add that to my backlog, but it will be a while before I get to work on that

2 Likes

Making awesome progress on the app dude. It’s looking better all the time. One thing I think would be useful is the warning text that the guys put with most grammar points below the basic usage tips. Like the ‘this is usually used when talking about things and cannot be used to refer to people’ etc.

I think those points may be really important as I see people using this more than the actual site eventually based on the offline capabilities, and that info when first learning the grammar is invaluable. Perhaps in italics under the other basic info?

Keep up the great work :+1::+1::+1:

edit: Disregard this, I see it’s already been added. Nice!

1 Like

The release 0.3.6 is now available on the Play Store!
This update adds an audio player in examples and small UI improvements.
This is the last update before working on reviews, which may take a while.

Changelog 0.3.6

Added

• Audio player for examples
  • SRS details in lists (available behind a setting)
  • Golden seal for burned items
  • SRS and JLPT info in the grammar point details

Fixed

• Improved the text contrast in dark mode
  • JLPT progress sometimes disappearing
  • Color issues on older devices

@Anthropos888 Some of the UI improvements come from your feedback, let me know what you think of it
@Asher I’ve worked a little bit on the dark mode, let me know if you still find some elements hard to read.

I’ve just noticed that the new audio (by @Asher) doesn’t play, I will fix this later

5 Likes